Installing Mark viii engine

AzzLyp

Reaction score
Not sure this really should be classified as a project. I'm taking my daily driver - 98 Gt 5 spd convertible - and swapping in the engine from my now wrecked 98 Mark viii. I have everything needed from a 98 cobra to do the swap, I mean everything.
Is there anything I should keep an eye out for?
I'm already swapping in a new stage 1 clutch, steeda clutch cable, radiator and fan. The only thing I'm worried about is maybe the ccrm needing to be from the cobra and not the gt. I have the fuel tank from the cobra as well for the 2 speed fuel pump, I also have the key from the cobra in case the pats gives me a hard time.
Thoughts?

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
My opinion. ..use only the engine. No need for swaping harnesses....yet. Use your stock gt injectors. In other words, try to use all the existing electronics. Swap only the mechanics. This way youll be able to start the car. Swapping in other harnesses and computers is far to involved at once. I agree swapping in the cobra stuff is a good idea, but I am one to take baby steps to insure success. If your car runs great, go get it tuned.

OP
OP
A

AzzLyp

Reaction score
Good advice. I will do the minimum at first unless I get a cel. Then I'll try the cobra engine because from what I've researched, the pinout is exactly the same. My biggest concern so far is the ignition system. Not sure if I should stay with the dual coil packs or go to the cop's.

OP
OP
A

AzzLyp

Reaction score
Ok, so it's been a few weeks since I started this thread. Since then, I've pulled both engines, swapped everything over and pretty much completed the swap. Ran into a weird problem though - can't find the iac plug so that I can plug it in. lol. According to every guide I read, I have to extend the wires for the iac. Got it. One guide says I have to extend the wires about 12". The remaining plug that I have looks like it only needs to go 4" but here's where the problem is - the iac doesn't fit that plug. The part that fits the plug I have left is the black component bolted to the iac with the little spinning hat on it. Pretty much every guide I see, everyone deletes their egr and/or seems to simplify their iac so I'm not sure what I have is supposed to look like... I'm almost tempted to swap the cobra harness and ecu in just because the plugs are all there and they would plug right in without having to be extended. I can't simplify my setup though because I have to stay Cali legal. Installing the cobra harness also means I have to install the air pump and I'm really not wanting to do that.

OP
OP
A

AzzLyp

Reaction score
Any updates?
Yessir! Figured everything out yesterday. Turns out that at some point I pinched the IAC plug between the upper and lower manifolds of the cobra manifold. Removed it, extended it and got it plugged in. Got everything running yesterday. Sounds pretty good but have to take it to the exhaust shop today because the PO used the wrong exhaust manifold on the passenger side and the exhaust wouldn't line up no matter what, so I had to cut it - which really sucks because my exhaust was brand new for the 2v. I'll post up some pics in a few minutes after I host em.

OP
OP
A

AzzLyp

Reaction score
I took a bunch of pics, but nothing really awesome or great to look at. I didn't really get to paint anything fancy, I was more concerned about replacing seals and gaskets.

My buddy that wrecked my Lincoln got me a VIS hood for the swap

Engine all installed

12647259_10205333289027557_8726979424758619375_n.jpg

Exedy stage 2 clutch
12651021_10205333289827577_7309074764430424722_n.jpg

OP
OP
A

AzzLyp

Reaction score
Ran it today to the exhaust shop and it runs great, even without the imrc's. It's running hot though. Replacing the thermostat tomorrow with a Motorcraft t-stat and then going to attempt to burp it and hope it runs right. Another problem is that the a/c isn't coming on for whatever reason now... Gotta figure that out now too.

OP
OP
A

AzzLyp

Reaction score
New Motorcraft t-stat solved the overheating problem and it runs like a champ now, but still no a/c. Gonna tackle that tomorrow.

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
Nice work! This swap happened pretty fast, hopefully you get the ac cranking and everything running smooth

OP
OP
A

AzzLyp

Reaction score
Nice work! This swap happened pretty fast, hopefully you get the ac cranking and everything running smooth
Thanks man! Yeah I had to get it going quickly, I was putting miles on my weekend car and needed this one back on the road. This no a/c thing though is bugging me. It was one of the reasons I bought the car - it had ice cold ac before the swap. That's ok though, it will again, just have to figure out what I bumped or didn't connect back up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online