Installing subframe connectors

J_lope82

Reaction score
Hello, I am nearing the end of my suspension mods on my 96 mustang gt. What I have replaced so far is; I have done rear uca, lca, eibach lowering springs, rear axles and bearings. Front lca, lowering springs, struts, steering rack bushings.
All I have left to do is CC plates and subframe connectors and I want to say I’ll be done with suspension mods. So I’ll soon be ordering the CC plates and I’ll install them myself. The subframe connectors I can weld myself on as well.
The car seems like it has been lifted a lot from all the wrong places. Should I be worried about that or just go ahead and install the subframe connectors? I’m sure it’s very common that people lift these cars from the wrong places and damage the floors but is there anything that can be done before installing the subframe connectors?

I’m thinking of getting the full length subframe connectors from MM. installing the CC plates and then doing the alignment.

OP
OP
J_lope82

J_lope82

Reaction score
Any tips on installing the subframe connectors would be great as well thanks!!

Randall Garner

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Need the weight of the car on the wheels. Then using a light weight jack you can place the subframes in place. Mark all places were frames lay against the body of the car. Have you seat brackets already bolted into seat studs. That'll help alignment of connectors. Then after marking . Drop the frames and clean all marked spots down to clean metal. You might be able to get away with weldable primer . If you are not a top notch welder. Let a shop fo it. They won't burn thru and will do a better job ensuring the welds actually hold. Once you have them installed you will definitely know the difference in stiffness

OP
OP
J_lope82

J_lope82

Reaction score
What if I put the weight of the car on jack stands that are under the suspension not the frame? I don’t have a drive on lift.

I feel comfortable welding without burning through the metal. I have a 120V Lincoln mig welder that I can adjust the amperage on.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I know of two guys that did it themselves and ended up setting the interior on fire. With that in mind I know they were not the best welders but something to take under consideration.

OP
OP
J_lope82

J_lope82

Reaction score
I know of two guys that did it themselves and ended up setting the interior on fire. With that in mind I know they were not the best welders but something to take under consideration.
Yeah you have to take your time with the welding.

Randall Garner

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
What if I put the weight of the car on jack stands that are under the suspension not the frame? I don’t have a drive on lift.

I feel comfortable welding without burning through the metal. I have a 120V Lincoln mig welder that I can adjust the amperage on.
Yes you can support the suspension with jack stands.

badass98svt

Reaction score
If you want the full stiffness of SFC, go with a Stifflers setup.

I run MM SFC right now and I plan on adding the jacking rails and web brace from the above kit.

garrittpwl

Reaction score
jesus christ lol!
If you want the full stiffness of SFC, go with a Stifflers setup.

I run MM SFC right now and I plan on adding the jacking rails and web brace from the above kit.
+1 to the stifflers fit system. It was a lengthy install but I love it. It fit perfect and comes prepainted except the weld areas. Comes with great instructions even.

My welds aren't pretty but they hold. I did mine over the course of a weekend on my back with a harbor freight squirt gun welder.

Side note, the ones on the passenger side do get pretty sketch when welding considering how close you are to fuel lines. I kept the extinguisher near by and a squirt bottle of water to hit the area around my welds that I didn't want hot

Attachments

• 263475946_10165687819690167_1189957430703109307_n.jpg
    263475946_10165687819690167_1189957430703109307_n.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 39

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Next time just clamp the welder ground to the fuel line. If the line itself is the ground, it doesn't need a loose flying spark to catch fire to the fuel.

Follow me for more great electrical, spelling and grammar and political advice...

Makoto

Reaction score
im gonna encourage through the floor subframe connectors. its more work but you're getting a lot more contact with the body and the front part sleeves inside the front subframe. plus, you can do most of it with the car on the ground. I did this in my garage for the first time and the car is solid as a mofo.

1650112230265.png

1650112319523.png

OP
OP
J_lope82

J_lope82

Reaction score
along with chasis stiffness i also wanted a good spot to jack up the car with. That’s why I was leaning more towards under the car subframe connectors.

Also I need to do an alignment on the car. Should I install SF connectors before or after alignment or does it not matter?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
but then the rear passengers will be uncomfortable. :) as if there was ever anyone over the age of 12 that was NOT uncomfortable in the back seat...

badass98svt

Reaction score
along with chasis stiffness i also wanted a good spot to jack up the car with. That’s why I was leaning more towards under the car subframe connectors.
The Stifflers FIT system helps with that. There is a jacking rail that gets welded in that you can jack the car up by along the punch weld, as well as jacking it up by the SFC.

Last edited:

NEW EDG

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Just in case you haven't ordered yet I will give another vote to Stifflers. Simply incredible the difference it made for my car and I use the jacking rails all the time. Well worth the extra effort for both the result and future convenience.

PXL_20220311_030116149.MP.jpg

PXL_20220311_030037641.MP.jpg

NEW EDG

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
im gonna encourage through the floor subframe connectors. its more work but you're getting a lot more contact with the body and the front part sleeves inside the front subframe. plus, you can do most of it with the car on the ground. I did this in my garage for the first time and the car is solid as a mofo.

View attachment 16640

View attachment 16641
This would be the nuclear option lol

OP
OP
J_lope82

J_lope82

Reaction score
I haven’t ordered yet. The thing is the pinch weld along the side of the body is fairly bent. Looks like they tried lifting the car from there many times. I’m thinking that might be an interference issue with the jacking rails. Overall the body seems straight just that pinch weld down the sides of the body.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
all the way back by the back wheels? That is the spot my car would drag even at factory ride height on some intersections in az.

OP
OP
J_lope82

J_lope82

Reaction score
I mean the part right under the door. Where everyone thinks they can jack up the car from.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online