Installing the 5-speed trans

gnx547

Reaction score
I'm about to install the manual trans. I bolted the bell housing first on the back of the engine. Does the clutch cable need to be connected to the fork first before installing the trans??

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
clutch fork should be connected last. you can't put too much pressure on the pressure plate before the input shaft is through the clutch disc or it'll just drop and you won't be able to get the trans mounted up.

Bub

Reaction score
When I did mine I installed the fork and put the cable on. Then slid the trans through. Didn't have any issues and everything went smoothly. If your doing this on jackstands I'd recommend putting all 4 corners in the air to keep the car level. I struggled with just the front up.

OP
OP
gnx547

gnx547

Reaction score
I'm having a hard time installing the trans. The input shaft is inside the throw out bearing and I'm wiggling it and pushing it at the same time and it is not going through. Does the trans need a lot of force to get the input shaft in? Any tips on getting the trans in?

OP
OP
gnx547

gnx547

Reaction score
Yes, I used a clutch alignment tool when I installed the clutch.

castine917

Reaction score
Put trans in gear. Spin driveshaft. Try pushing as splines line up(you won't be able to see them).

OP
OP
gnx547

gnx547

Reaction score
I finally got the trans in! What a pain! I got the cross member bolted and how tight should the bolts be? The bolt is all the way through but still turns a little bit. Do I have this tab on the right way?

oa0xeh.jpg

291otwy.jpg

castine917

Reaction score
Tab can go either way. It will go to "frame" either when tightening or when loosening. When you do the opposite it will hit floorpan. So in either direction it will push floorpan some and you need to use caution not to go through. It would have been nicer if ford put a little extra strength at floorpan there.

OP
OP
gnx547

gnx547

Reaction score
When I refill the trans, can I pour the fluid inside the shifter housing?

whiplash473

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I wouldn't. What I did is use a 6' clear plastic hose with a funnel up on one end and a stepped plastic piece (I can't remember for my life what it's called) in the trans. Held the funnel above the car and dumped the quarts in. With the clear hose I was able to see when I was full since the fluid starts backing up.

EDIT: The piece I'm trying to refer to us like a stepped drill bit but hollow and plastic. Forgive my lack of brain function.

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I always fill by first pulling the drain plug, pulling the shifter off, dumping new fluid in until it comes out clear. Close the drain plug, open the top plug, fill until it comes out of the top hole, close it up.

OP
OP
gnx547

gnx547

Reaction score
How many quarts does the T5 take? Is it 3 quarts? And does it take Mercon/Dextron III?

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
I made this fill tube from the cap from a bottle of gear oil. Attached about 2' of 1/4 clear hose. It'll screw right on to the quart bottle of ATF.
Your Haynes manual will tell you whae kind and how much ATF the trans holds but to be sure always double ck at the fill plug.

OP
OP
gnx547

gnx547

Reaction score
Thanks! I'll try that out. On the MGW shifter and it came with some red grease on it..I want to put some new grease. What kind of red grease is this?

2enxkwm.jpg

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
Thanks! I'll try that out. On the MGW shifter and it came with some red grease on it..I want to put some new grease. What kind of red grease is this?

2enxkwm.jpg

looks to just be regular grease for your grease gun but even the tubs come with red grease similar to that stuff .

OP
OP
gnx547

gnx547

Reaction score
Where exactly do I pour the trans fluid in the shifter housing? The small hole with the red arrow, or in the shifter block with the black arrows? I poured some in there but doesn't look like its going through.

2dkeszm.jpg

whiplash473

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I made this fill tube from the cap from a bottle of gear oil. Attached about 2' of 1/4 clear hose. It'll screw right on to the quart bottle of ATF.
Your Haynes manual will tell you whae kind and how much ATF the trans holds but to be sure always double ck at the fill plug.

That's basically what I was trying to explain. Pretty much the same thing I did and it worked great.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online