Installing the vortech supercharger belt tensioner

gnx547

Reaction score
I'm trying to install the vortech belt tensioner and I don't know where exactly the tensioner bolts to. The vortech instructions are not very detailed and does not really explain where the tensioner bolts to. I know it bolts close to the charger, but where exactly does the tensioner bolt at? Does any here with the vortech have any pics showing the belt tensioner installed?

szvjh0.jpg

2lbyuyc.jpg

316tbir.jpg

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Here is a pic of mine although not close up you can get an idea of where it is. I didn't have much problem on the instructions, took a little while to figure out.
4449061397058102-a92f8fc778.jpg

Compairing the two it looks like those three holes that are open on your supercharger.

OP
OP
gnx547

gnx547

Reaction score
Thanks!! By chance do you know what size bolts are those holding the tensioner? I bought the kit used and it does not have the bolts for the tensioner.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
off hand no I would have to go look in the manual. I am pretty sure it listed which bolts were needed there though.

410sn95

Reaction score
As said, the Tensioner mounts directly to the blower.

Do you have the Vortech manual? It is available on their website if you don't.

Your drain line in that pic is routed incorrectly. It appears you may have the drain fitting in the wrong spot as well. There are several different drain fitting locations on the bottom of the head unit, use the one that gives you a straight shot down next to the frame rail and no kinks.

OP
OP
gnx547

gnx547

Reaction score
I do have the manual but it is not that detailed. I will fix the drain line and position it the correct way. I'm trying to mount the alternator but the bracket won't reach because, on the back of the alternator that ear piece sticking out below the positive post is resting against the valve cover. Can I remove that back piece from the alternator? Is it used for anything?

fv8q9w.jpg

28013kx.jpg

410sn95

Reaction score
You are positioning the alt. bracket in the wrong position. The lower L-portion bolts to the two upper blower holes, along with some machined spacers so it will clear the feed line fitting. If you bought the kit used, you may be missing them...

The Vortech manual has some good illustrations of this.

See pic below.

37448d1199028690-help-my-vortech-v-1-s-trim-1994-mustang-cobra-img-87-0-xlarge.jpg

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
This is the manual I got, it has the bolts listed in the pics. on page 8 and 9 I think it was.

OP
OP
gnx547

gnx547

Reaction score
I didn't get any spacers with kit. I'm pretty sure I can find some at the hardware store. Also, I notice in the pic there is another tensioner to the right of the supercharger tensioner, is that factory tensioner? I previously had the powerdyne and it did not use the factory tensioner.

OP
OP
gnx547

gnx547

Reaction score
I removed the oil hose and noticed the hose is cracked and brittle at the end. Can I use regular hose from the parts store? Or do I have to buy this oil hose from Vortech? I also relocated the oil adapter to a different oil hole location on the charger and do I put thread sealant on the oil plug and the oil adapter or put it in dry?

33dv29h.jpg

sl3f4w.jpg

2zgem91.jpg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online