Intake replacement and water pump size questions

Rocco_Roush

Reaction score
2002 Roush Stage 2

1. how do i know what size water pump i have?
summit has 4 water pumps, different lengths AND clockwise or counterclockwise. how do i know which one i need?
https://www.summitracing.com/search...motorcraft&SortBy=default&SortOrder=Ascending

2. prepping for the dorman intake (just realized, haven't had her long) wetting the bed. when i change to ford intake i will need intake gaskets, water pump (might as well) and anything else?

thanks!

SnakeBit!

Reaction score
Midway through the production run for the 2001 model year Ford changed the design of the water pump on the 4.6L engine. The older style pump produced from 1996 to mid 2001 had a longer shaft. In January of 2001 the design of the pump was changed to a shorter shaft.

OP
OP
Rocco_Roush

Rocco_Roush

Reaction score
Midway through the production run for the 2001 model year Ford changed the design of the water pump on the 4.6L engine. The older style pump produced from 1996 to mid 2001 had a longer shaft. In January of 2001 the design of the pump was changed to a shorter shaft.

oh perfect! so just get the longer of the two? do i need to worry about clockwise or counterclockwise? lol

is there something i can visually check before taking the water pump off so i know i buy the right one? thanks!

Benni614

Reaction score
2002 Roush Stage 2

1. how do i know what size water pump i have?
summit has 4 water pumps, different lengths AND clockwise or counterclockwise. how do i know which one i need?
https://www.summitracing.com/search...motorcraft&SortBy=default&SortOrder=Ascending

2. prepping for the dorman intake (just realized, haven't had her long) wetting the bed. when i change to ford intake i will need intake gaskets, water pump (might as well) and anything else?

thanks!
Measure the length of the water pump, just to b sure
And why go dorman oem and not upgrade to the Intake

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Rocco_Roush

Rocco_Roush

Reaction score
Measure the length of the water pump, just to b sure
And why go dorman oem and not upgrade to the Intake

alright so i'll measure the water pump before i take it out

and no, i have the dorman on there (just got the car lol) so i would like the ford performance intake

Benni614

Reaction score
alright so i'll measure the water pump before i take it out

and no, i have the dorman on there (just got the car lol) so i would like the ford performance intake
Ford performance and dorman are the same FYI. I know people don't believe this but dorman makes the intake ford performance just stamps their name on it. I found this out awhile ago. Have u given thought into the edelbrock intake ?

Benni614

Reaction score

PinkieT

Reaction score
Benni, I don't understand. Are you saying the Dorman intake for 4.6 PI heads is the same as the Ford Performance, or not?

Benni614

Reaction score
Benni, I don't understand. Are you saying the Dorman intake for 4.6 PI heads is the same as the Ford Performance, or not?
I'm saying that dorman makes them and as for replacement I was just asking why go to the Ford performance and not nothing better is all

Benni614

Reaction score
I'm saying that dorman makes them and as for replacement I was just asking why go to the Ford performance and not nothing better is all

My apologies if I stated it wrong

PinkieT

Reaction score
So you agree Ford Performance PI intake (whoever makes it) is different, and better, than a Dorman from a parts store. The Eddy would be good for a blown motor like a Roush Stage 2 performance-wise but is taller than stock so would require their plenum to fit. They also recommend their own fuel rails. Only Rocco would know if it was worth the extra money.

Last edited:

Benni614

Reaction score
So you agree Ford Performance PI intake (whoever makes it) is different, and better, than a Dorman from a parts store. The Eddy would be good for a blown motor like a Roush Stage 2 performance-wise but is taller than stock so would require their plenum to fit. They also recommend their own fuel rails. Only Rocco would know if it was worth the extra money.
Oh ok yeah I run the edlebrock and rails myself and love them honestly but yes its best for blown engines for max gains

SnakeBit!

Reaction score
oh perfect! so just get the longer of the two? do i need to worry about clockwise or counterclockwise? lol

is there something i can visually check before taking the water pump off so i know i buy the right one? thanks!

if you read what I put up, you should have the shorter shaft pump.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarthur1995

Members online