Interesting idea for my KB..will it work?

95KBGT

Legend
Reaction score
Well my KB is oil cooled, and it tends to get hot...very hot. I was thinking, can i put an oil cooler in line of the supercharger to cool it off? is there any other alternate cooling factors i can try?

jimgt95

Reaction score
You KB is oil cooled? I've never heard of that. You want to put an oil cooler in line of the supercharger to cool it off? Are you talking about the lubrication of the supercharger or the hot air intake?

In general cooling terms, I run a Fluidyne 2 core all aluminum radiator and a 160 degree thermostat. I never have cooling problems. This is with underdrive pulleys on my car too. In fact the only time the fan ever kicks on is when I sit in traffic for a while. Driving down the highway the temp gauge usually reads between C and the left most bar of the normal range.

What exactly are you asking?

OP
OP

95KBGT

Legend
Reaction score
well i was under the assumption the supercharger temp and the engine temp are 2 different cooling systems. and thats why people have intercoolers etc. i was wanting to know my KB gets extremley hot, and if theres anything i can do to cool it off for more HP?

billmacomber1987

Reaction score
Well you can cool your charged air its called an intercooler or an after cooler any way it’s the same thing in your case you would need a water to air cooler and it would take a good deal of fabricating, a taller hood and im not sure if it could be big enough to do much help but between the upper and lower manifolds you could sandwich a water core so the hot air going over it would be cooled buy the cold water going through the core but it would take a lot of fab. A much easier way would be a water meth injection at WOT or a boost level what ever you have a switch to it would inject water meth into your intake cooling the air allowing you to run more timing and higher boost. But you have to keep your water tank fool a lot of people use there windshield washing fluids tank and motor in the home made application

OP
OP

95KBGT

Legend
Reaction score
so where can i get a sutable intercooler how will it work and how to set up?

jimgt95

Reaction score
There is no aftercooler that will work with a KB on a 5.0. The discharge manifold is hot because of the compressed air coming out of the supercharger (PV=nRT). You would spend more on getting and fabricating all of your hardware than you have in the blower itself. Kenne Bell says that the blower doesn't need an aftercooler due to the high adiabatic effeciency of that type of screw compressor.

In order to bring the temp of the discharge manifold down you will have to: make less boost, cool the entire engine down, or use some sort of water/methanol injection.

OP
OP

95KBGT

Legend
Reaction score
jimgt95 said:
There is no aftercooler that will work with a KB on a 5.0. The discharge manifold is hot because of the compressed air coming out of the supercharger (PV=nRT). You would spend more on getting and fabricating all of your hardware than you have in the blower itself. Kenne Bell says that the blower doesn't need an aftercooler due to the high adiabatic effeciency of that type of screw compressor.

In order to bring the temp of the discharge manifold down you will have to: make less boost, cool the entire engine down, or use some sort of water/methanol injection.
i love you

jimgt95

Reaction score
Matt94GT said:
water injection like the snowperformance or what ever it is?

Exactly. Although, I am not sure how much cooler that will make the discharge manifold itself.

Probably the best way to cool it down is to make your engine more effecient through airflow improvements. Better flow through the engine will result in less boost being developed but, you will make more horsepower due to that improvement in effeciency. Just look at my mods in the signature. I am putting down 376hp/385ft lb at the wheels (new tune!!!) at only 7.5 psi.

OP
OP

95KBGT

Legend
Reaction score
ok hey jim. more questions. whats a good intake for these. i have some cheap metal one i believe. do they make like a cool plastic one? also i think i have enough money for 42lbs injectors and a new tune. what do you think the ending numbers will be seeing as im at 11psi? if i go to 42lbs do i need anything else or can i be set? im looking for 350HP and 400TQ

jimgt95

Reaction score
95KBGT said:
ok hey jim. more questions. whats a good intake for these. i have some cheap metal one i believe. do they make like a cool plastic one? also i think i have enough money for 42lbs injectors and a new tune. what do you think the ending numbers will be seeing as im at 11psi? if i go to 42lbs do i need anything else or can i be set? im looking for 350HP and 400TQ

You will not do yourself any good by going to larger injectors unless you are pegging the stock 19 lb injectors. It will only get you more fuel capacity. If I remember correctly, you have an FMU. If you ditch the FMU, get larger injectors (say in the 30-42lb range with an eye toward future mods), get a matched mass air meter, an intake tube (like a JLT, Power Pipe, or whatever), and then tie it together with a tune; you could be sitting in the 325+hp/350+ftlb range. I'm not real good at the horsepower guessing game though.

Really, in order to warrant new injectors, you need to make airflow improvements to the engine. More air needs more fuel. At this stage in the game you may or may not see any improvement from stepping up to a larger injector. Although, getting rid of the FMU and having the tune in the computer control the fuel metering should net some gains. How much, I am not certain but I will say on the order of less than 20hp/tq.

OP
OP

95KBGT

Legend
Reaction score
any websites for those. im trying to figure out if its worth $450 or to just wait till i get heads or something

OP
OP

95KBGT

Legend
Reaction score
ive been looking for fuel injectors and i could have sworn i found some for $250 on sale.

94twinscrew

Reaction score
you're running hot because you don't have a by-pass and are running high boost for the 1.5. Water/Meth injection is your only logical way to cut down latent heat soak,and high discharge temps. Go on ebay,and look for either snow performance,or Aquamist.....prices are around $350. Inlet restriction causes friction,which affects discharge temps....you shouldn't go any smaller than 3 1/2"s,Mac CAI's are this size. AFM's are 4",at this point,there is no restriction. Plastic vs metal has been throw around for years......I ran both,and never saw a difference in temps. As far as the injectors go, non-discus injectors don't like to operate at high static flow pressures.....for example, 19's,fmu,and 11psi=75-90psi at the rails. Pintle injectors tend to heat up,and LOCK up at these levels,and they become very sloppy....not to mention bad gas milage. 42's are overkill for your setup right now,but you'll never need to upgrade them latter when you add heads,or upgrade compressors. Your tuner can make them work without breakin a sweat. :thumb:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alida81

Members online