Interior Crack

Volcomstone2216

Reaction score
Hey All,

Question... So I got into an accident with a deer a few weeks back and I have slowly but surely revived my beloved. Unfortunately, the airbags blew and the passenger airbag cracked the vinyl/leather console next to the passenger vent.

I was wondering what you all would suggest on the best approach to fixing it. I was thinking some JB weld or Gorilla Glue, but I bow to all of your knowledge and input.

THANKS,
VolcomStone2216
salute.gif.pagespeed.ce.B0duxI5eLB.gif

FivepointSlow

Reaction score
Hey All,

Question... So I got into an accident with a deer a few weeks back and I have slowly but surely revived my beloved. Unfortunately, the airbags blew and the passenger airbag cracked the vinyl/leather console next to the passenger vent.

Attached is a pic of the crack, and I was wondering what you all would suggest on the best approach to fixing it. I was thinking some JB weld or Gorilla Glue, but I bow to all of your knowledge and input.

THANKS,
VolcomStone2216
salute.gif.pagespeed.ce.B0duxI5eLB.gif

I don't see a picture??

Depends how bad the crack is. I wouldn't use gorilla glue to patch a crack though. That stuff has a tendency to move around and fall through holes while it's hardening... I used that stuff when I added. USB to my console and when I came back it was dried and rock solid but glue dripped and pooled everywhere.

Crapatalkin' on the iPhone 5.0

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
pics would help but if it is really bad you could swap in a new dash if you think you can handle it. They are easy to find in the classifieds and ebay craigslist etc.

FivepointSlow

Reaction score
pics would help but if it is really bad you could swap in a new dash if you think you can handle it. They are easy to find in the classifieds and ebay craigslist etc.

Pretty sure [MENTION=12407]SVTstang96[/MENTION] has one but I could be wrong. Swapping the dash is your best bet. That crack could always show up again.
Or you could just wrap the dash in fur... That would cover it. Lol

ScottyDsntKnow

Reaction score
New dash pad. A dash is not expensive in all honesty, $50-$100 depending on color/condition. People practically give non-black/charcoal ones away. You can dye it to match your interior as well while its out if you want a cheap one.

People make a huge deal out of pulling the dash, it really is easy, just a little time consuming. And when its out the actual plastic dash pad lifts right off the frame after you unscrew it from the back. Just swap a new pad onto your frame so you don't have to worry about any year to year changes.

SVTstang96

Reaction score
Pretty sure SVTstang96 has one but I could be wrong. Swapping the dash is your best bet. That crack could always show up again.
Or you could just wrap the dash in fur... That would cover it. Lol

You are correct. I have 2 actually. One is in pretty bad shape but the other one is pretty nice still. I have it stripped down completely to a bare shell to make shipping reasonable. I can ship it via Greyhound for $40, and would like to get $50 for the pad. So $90 to your city via Greyhound or I can do FedEx for $115 to your door.

FivepointSlow

Reaction score
People make a huge deal out of pulling the dash, it really is easy, just a little time consuming. And when its out the actual plastic dash pad lifts right off the frame after you unscrew it from the back. Just swap a new pad onto your frame so you don't have to worry about any year to year changes.

Is it possible to unscrew the dash pad while the frame is in the car? Some ass face previously mounted something like a tach or a GPS that used 3 screws right ontop of my dash.. One of the things I want to fix down the road...

SVTstang96

Reaction score
Is it possible to unscrew the dash pad while the frame is in the car? Some ass face previously mounted something like a tach or a GPS that used 3 screws right ontop of my dash.. One of the things I want to fix down the road...

Anything is possible lol. I would say yes, but i imagine it being a pain in the arse..... The dash is actually pretty simple to remove also. There may even be a how-to on it. If not I am sure one of these days I can make one when I take the dash out of a parts car.

FivepointSlow

Reaction score
Anything is possible lol. I would say yes, but i imagine it being a pain in the arse..... The dash is actually pretty simple to remove also. There may even be a how-to on it. If not I am sure one of these days I can make one when I take the dash out of a parts car.

Do that. And when you pull the dash sell it to me. :p

whiplash473

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Pull the console, have someone pull the console away from itself to open up the crack, put some JB Weld for plastics in there, set something like 15lbs on top of it, keep an eye on it for a couple minutes and wipe the excess glue that oozes out the visible side until it starts to harden.

Sent from bored/stroked HTC One

ScottyDsntKnow

Reaction score
No the dash has to come out to unscrew the pad.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

OP
OP
V

Volcomstone2216

Reaction score
I found a Dashboard and Vinyl Repair kit made by Permatex at Salvo's Autoparts. It has some really good instructions and color matching filler, it seems like a relatively simple job with this kit. I will definitely give it a go and let you all know the end result.

LaserRed95GT

Reaction score
I had read that someone said the dash pad was removable here last night so I was like. Oh, let me go remove mine of this dash I have out of the car already.

All in all, yes, potentially you could remove all the bolts while its in the car, however you would need an arsenal of different kinds of extensions, swivel joints, and so on and it would probably be a pretty big pain in the ass considering it took me an hour or so to take the pad off the dash outside of the car.

There's a shit ton of screws, some in awkward places. But I'd rather do this than dye my entire dash for peace of mind.
Ball parking it here
but theres two screws holding in the passenger air bag, two screws at the bottom of the glove box, a couple at either end of the dash, a couple holding in the center portion of the a/c vents, another below those two holding in the portion of the vents that connects to the heater core (be a good time to replace it), probably about 2 or 3 along the top of the dash on the back side, and a few more on the driver side around the steering wheel.
I could've forgot some, but you get the point.

ScottyDsntKnow

Reaction score
You would never get to them all with it in the car and if you somehow did it would take longer than just pulling the dash.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

heffe2001

Reaction score
If it's that hard to get the pad out with the dash in the car, I bet it'd be much harder to put it back in with the rest in the car..

LaserRed95GT

Reaction score
If it's that hard to get the pad out with the dash in the car, I bet it'd be much harder to put it back in with the rest in the car..
Well If you did take the entire dash out, removed the pad, and then swap the pad and finally put it back. It wouldn't be "hard" rather really time consuming (totally worth it, it's what I'm going to do for my interior swap) and a bit tedious. Another person to help move the dash during removal would be great, I had to ask these guys randomly in the junk yard for help. Lol.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
For filling plastics I use an epoxy from vatozone called plastic weld. When it cures it is a fairly ridged plastic that is easily sandable. If its all small enough I would fill it myself or while you are in there then just go ahead and do the heater core.

ScottyDsntKnow

Reaction score

Which is why you pull the dash and swap the pad while its out on a bench or in the driveway or something. I thought that was obvious enough...

ScottyDsntKnow

Reaction score
I need to buy a new sarcasm detector. What I get for buying a SR one from AM...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online