Interior noise??

Discussion in 'Exterior and Interior' started by Rogera13, Nov 12, 2014.

1. Rogera13

Rogera13 New Member

Searched around and couldn't find any answers. My car is a 1996 and between outside noise and general rattle and interior noises the car is loud. Planning on new interior with rear seat delete. Any tricks for making the dash, center console and other assorted plastics a little quieter? Plan on sound deadener under the new carpet and throughout. Just looking to make the other stuff quiet as well.

2. 96blak54

96blak54 Legend

Good question! Im intrested in a response myself.

3. kenny150r

kenny150r Member

Just a heads up, some people will recommend dynamat or a similar alternative; from my experience, it is not worth the hassle. I took apart my car and put dynamat on the door panels, floor, and trunk, and it made no.significant difference. It was very expensive too. I am still looking for a good solution as well... Road noise and creaky panels are such a pain and nobody online seems to have solved these problems! Definitely will have to follow this thread

4. Sinned83

Sinned83 Well-Known Member

94-04 stangs are notorious for this. Make sure all the clips and pins are in good shape.

5. Orange 94

Orange 94 Moderator Staff SN95 Supporter

Our cars rattle. Its how they are. Turn up the stereo and/or loud exhaust.

6. kenny150r

kenny150r Member

There's gotta be something. People keep saying just to ignore it but then again I've seen other 90s cars be restored to where their interiors are solid. Just want to know what they've done to do it!

7. blackhorse

blackhorse New Member

Subframe connectors (full length), hoof isolation material from home depot (that with aluminized face without glue.) ...

Don't delete the rear seat . The noise will increase significantly .

Here some pics from my car with hoof isolation attached with velcro :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. kenny150r

kenny150r Member

blackhorse that looks amazing! how does she sound inside now?

9. ttocs

ttocs Legend

mine is nice and quiet but I have done some work to make it that way. I used second skins damplifier pro(thicker then dynamat and better) on the floor, doors(inside and out made a HUGE difference) and even the roof. I also pulled the stock carpet/jute and replaced it with second skins luxury liner(mass loaded vinyl) which helped a lot with exterior noise/road noise and also will not collect moisture either.

If its specific rattles that are still bothering you, take a trip with someone else driving and figure out what part is rattling normally by pushing/pulling on the parts around what is making noise. Once you find the part then its just a matter of figuring out if a screw fell out, a clip is broken or if its just worked it way loose and from there you can find a way to stop it.

10. JKady

JKady Active Member

Felt tape can also be used to quiet rattles when they're caused by two components rattling together. I have a buddy that is an Audi tech and they use it very regularly to stop interior panel rattling.

11. Rogera13

Rogera13 New Member

Thanks for all the ideas. Getting ready to pull out the interior and paint all the tan. Plan on the home depot insulation, and when I put it back together I plan on making good use of the felt tape! Sub frame connectors going in with suspension upgrades. Anything left will just have to fixed with the new headers and X pipe and or stereo!!! LOL

12. ttocs

ttocs Legend

by home depot insulation I hope you do not mean the roofing peel-n-seel?

13. clflorida

clflorida Member

Hell yea he means frost king

14. Rogera13

Rogera13 New Member

Actually from Lowe's and it's a thin reflective insulation that I will install with spray adhesive. I read about the other stuff on here and I believe the tar/glue fumes would be to much.