Intermittent squealing on rear end after new axles and diffy - need help!

PinkieT

Reaction score
Had cracked differential carrier. Local specialty shop installed a good used differential with Trac-Loc, new Ford Racing gears and bearing kit, new Summit axles because the diffy I gave them had different number of splines. My ABS never worked anway so did not put tone rings on the new axles. Had no issues with noise before the work. Now, I have an intermittent metal on metal high pitched squeal. I can drive for five miles with no noise then all of a sudden all hell breaks loose. It shows up more often during left turns.

The shop that did the work is 45 minutes away. They said it wasn't anything they did - the unbolted the caliper brackets with the calipers and pads, hung them, then put them back on after putting on the new axles and bearings. I just took both back wheels and calipers off. Pads are fine. The side that wasn't making noise had the outer edge of the outside of the rotor rubbing on the caliper bracket, so I adjusted the piston in and now it is fine. I looked at the driver side, the one making the noise, but found no problems there. When I put it back together, still made noise. When I tap the brakes, it seems to help the noise go away.

Any suggestions of what it might be, what else to look at?

Last edited:
OP
OP
PinkieT

PinkieT

Reaction score
Well, it's going to the local garage in the morning.

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
How was it after leaving the shop that worked on it
And how many miles were you able to put on it when it was done
When you are tapping the brakes your slowing it down of course that helps
Another thing how fast can you travel were the noise comes in
If its something internal in diff
Make them fix it right

OP
OP
PinkieT

PinkieT

Reaction score
How was it after leaving the shop that worked on it
And how many miles were you able to put on it when it was done
When you are tapping the brakes your slowing it down of course that helps
Another thing how fast can you travel were the noise comes in
If its something internal in diff
Make them fix it right

It started making noise within 5 miles of the shop. Speed doesn't seem to matter. The shop that did it has a great reputation and they want to keep it, so if my tech finds something internal you bet they'll fix it!

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
When I installed my baer kit it came with shims to center the brake on the rotor. It almost sounds to me like you need to do this but I am not sure why unless the axles are not right.

OP
OP
PinkieT

PinkieT

Reaction score
When I installed my baer kit it came with shims to center the brake on the rotor. It almost sounds to me like you need to do this but I am not sure why unless the axles are not right.
Give that man a cee-gar! The shop said the axles were a tad long and they are going to shim the caliper brackets accordingly.

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
Give that man a cee-gar! The shop said the axles were a tad long and they are going to shim the caliper brackets accordingly.
Who is the manufacturer
I bought mosure axels they are a direct fit
No cutting grinding spacers shims needed
But thay are pricey
I ended up getting them for my cobra
Thats crazy never heard of shiming calipers
First time for everything I guess

OP
OP
PinkieT

PinkieT

Reaction score
Summit brand axles. I've heard of shimming when using aftermarket axles on an older OEM housing so not unusual for this to happen.

Last edited:

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I went with mosure myself when I had to take my axles out to replace the brake mounting plate for the baers. The way baer explained it to me is that the rear brakes float a bit or have a little bit of movement from the divers to pass side to account for the fact the axles have a slight be of movement in the SRA. The baer kit came with some washer/spacers of various thicknesses that had to be installed after taking a couple of measurements to bet them squared up. From what I understand the stock brakes should not need to be shimmed but it happens from time to time especially when you swap axles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UnknownArmy

Members online