Intermittent Starting Problems

97JF

Reaction score
Hi all I have a 97 GT and have a strange intermittent starting problem

It started last week where in the mornings it would take 2 or 3 cranks for it to fire up

After a few days of doing this one morning it wouldn’t start unless flooring the pedal where it would shut off if I let off the accelerator, after 4 or 5 times doing this it will then settle on its own.

Cold starts seem to be when it struggles as hot starts seem ok

Fuel filter looked new so didn’t change that(yet)

We changed the plugs and that seemed to cure the problem for a few days but today it’s started doing the same thing again.

Earlier when it had difficulty starting the air bag light stayed on after it eventually started

I shut it off 10 mins later and started again and the air bag light went off

I assume this is all related ?

Also the other week when coming to a stop at the lights it would shut off a few times, thought it was to do with it being low on fuel and it never happened again after I put fuel in but again I think it’s related

Cranking speed seems normal so don’t think it’s a battery issue

Anything else I can look at ? I haven’t got money to just start replacing random parts and hoping for the best

Coil packs maybe ?

When it struggles to start it’s like it’s almost catching and firing up but doesn’t

It reminds me of an older Carburettor car where when starting from cold it takes a few goes before firing into life

Here’s a short video , Please see link

Thanks for any help

Last edited:

Benni614

Reaction score
Hi all I have a 97 GT and have a strange intermittent starting problem

It started last week where in the mornings it would take 2 or 3 cranks for it to fire up

After a few days of doing this one morning it wouldn’t start unless flooring the pedal where it would shut off if I let off the accelerator, after 4 or 5 times doing this it will then settle on its own.

Cold starts seem to be when it struggles as hot starts seem ok

Fuel filter looked new so didn’t change that(yet)

We changed the plugs and that seemed to cure the problem for a few days but today it’s started doing the same thing again.

Earlier when it had difficulty starting the air bag light stayed on after it eventually started

I shut it off 10 mins later and started again and the air bag light went off

I assume this is all related ?

Also the other week when coming to a stop at the lights it would shut off a few times, thought it was to do with it being low on fuel and it never happened again after I put fuel in but again I think it’s related

Cranking speed seems normal so don’t think it’s a battery issue

Anything else I can look at ? I haven’t got money to just start replacing random parts and hoping for the best

Coil packs maybe ?

When it struggles to start it’s like it’s almost catching and firing up but doesn’t

It reminds me of an older Carburettor car where when starting from cold it takes a few goes before firing into life

Here’s a short video , Please see link

Thanks for any help
That all sounds like a failing fuel pump.
Yes there could b a vacuum leak but usually u can keep the car running by giving it gas.
But this is seeming like a failing fuel pump to me anyways.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

OP
OP

97JF

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply

Is there any way of checking that for sure ?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
A simple fuel pressure gauge on the schrader valve on the rail is easy.

the fact you need to give it throttle while cranking means its needing more air. Ever changed the IAC?

OP
OP

97JF

Reaction score
Any idea of a product number for a fuel filter ? Thanks

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
another simple test for fuel pressure is to turn the key to the run position, wait 6-7 secs till you hear the pump turn off. Then back on and again wait till you hear the pump stop priming and then go to start the car. If it fires right up then you probably do have low fuel pressure

OP
OP

97JF

Reaction score
Seems to start ok when warm it’s just cold starts it struggles and when it does struggle the air bag light flickers on and off and stays on

Then if I shut the car off and start again it will start fine and the air bag light goes off

could the air bag light be linked to poor starting ? Thanks

OP
OP

97JF

Reaction score
Thanks will do , cold starts are definitely the problem , when it’s warm it starts perfect

by the way where abouts is the cold start valve on these ?

Americans may have a different name for them but that’s what they are called here in the U.K.

Thanks

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
maybe that is called the choke here but that is on a carbed motor if there was one. The ecu is supposed to basically do the same thing on its own.

waynenorcross

Reaction score
This will sound off but having worked at AutoZone I have seen many different issues. A bad ground will exhibit itself in strange ways. Mostly things turning in like the radio when you out on the lights. Without a good ground path, thinks get weird. When cold the connector if not tight could be contracted and not making a good contact. Once warmed up, it will expand and make a better contact. The woven ground strap from engine to frame a prone to rusting out.

Connie

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply

Is there any way of checking that for sure ?
I had the same issue with my '03 GT a couple months ago. I didn't think it could be the Fuel Pump, since I could here it when I would Cycle the Key on and off. But, it was working intermittently. You can lean into the back seat on the Passenger Side and reach for the Ignition Key, and just CYCLE, NOT turn to the Start Position, and listen for it to come on. That, also was a give away that the Pump was going bad too. Because when I had a new Pump installed, I can't hear it now, when I CYCLE the Key. I bought my GT new, so I know the Pump was never changed. Being 18 years old, I knew it wouldn't hurt to change it. So, the problem was cured. Bob.

Benni614

Reaction score
I had the same issue with my '03 GT a couple months ago. I didn't think it could be the Fuel Pump, since I could here it when I would Cycle the Key on and off. But, it was working intermittently. You can lean into the back seat on the Passenger Side and reach for the Ignition Key, and just CYCLE, NOT turn to the Start Position, and listen for it to come on. That, also was a give away that the Pump was going bad too. Because when I had a new Pump installed, I can't hear it now, when I CYCLE the Key. I bought my GT new, so I know the Pump was never changed. Being 18 years old, I knew it wouldn't hurt to change it. So, the problem was cured. Bob.
Nice especially when it's intermittent I mean if u swapping it out go bigger like the BBK 300 lph completely bolt in and boom now at least if ever u want to make power u can

Connie

Reaction score
Nice especially when it's intermittent I mean if u swapping it out go bigger like the BBK 300 lph completely bolt in and boom now at least if ever u want to make power u can

I looked at the BBK Fuel Pump. But, after lasting for over 18 years, I just couldn't resist putting in another Motorcraft Pump for reliability. I think it was a PFS-170?(not sure the exact) part #, but it comes with EVERYTHING, not only the Pump. But if the Motorcraft does give me issues too soon, I'm definitely going with the BBK. BOB.

Benni614

Reaction score
I looked at the BBK Fuel Pump. But, after lasting for over 18 years, I just couldn't resist putting in another Motorcraft Pump for reliability. I think it was a PFS-170?(not sure the exact) part #, but it comes with EVERYTHING, not only the Pump. But if the Motorcraft does give me issues too soon, I'm definitely going with the BBK. BOB.
No doubt I feel you on that one but currently 6 years on the BBK which eventually switching to a triple pump setup but it worked flawlessly up to 600 hp

Connie

Reaction score
No doubt I feel you on that one but currently 6 years on the BBK which eventually switching to a triple pump setup but it worked flawlessly up to 600 hp

You must be putting out some SERIOUS STUFF under the Hood? I'm probably at about 280 HP on my GT. Not too many mods. Connie, my wifes Mach1, still beats mine in HP, just being stock.

Benni614

Reaction score
You must be putting out some SERIOUS STUFF under the Hood? I'm probably at about 280 HP on my GT. Not too many mods. Connie, my wifes Mach1, still beats mine in HP, just being stock.
Yeah there is a lot going under the hood of my car lol hahah
But yeah a quick power adder on ur car no will know hahahha

Connie

Reaction score
Yeah there is a lot going under the hood of my car lol hahah
But yeah a quick power adder on ur car no will know hahahha

Yeah, I'm just afraid to mess with the engine TOO much. I'm happy with how it runs though, with what I have added to it. Just right, and peppy.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online