Iron 4v vs aluminum 4v which is stronger

Reaction score
I have a question for everyone? Which is stronger to build on an Iron 4v block or an aluminum one? I have heard that you can have an aluminum engine built right make 700-800 horse power. I have a 99 cobra with the aluminum 4v and want to build it to 700-800 rwhp. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

RedTwilight

Reaction score
First off what are your plans for the car? Street, strip, road course/ autocross. All these will stress the engine differently. Also I see that your looking to make 700-800 rear wheel hp. That's going to require a lot more work than 700 flywheel hp.

If its an early '99 model then you might have the Teksid block which can be built to hold 1000hp. If its a WAP block they have held 1000hp built right but 800hp is safer. I'm not certain on the iron blocks but I believe they are good for 1000hp as well.
One of the main areas to pay attention to on the WAP block is the window openings in the crank area. You'll want to radius any sharp edges to relieve stress risers. Also take it to a reputable machine shop that has done mod motors before. If your building it yourself do lots of research as to what all is involved. If someone else is building it make sure they have experience with the modular motors as well.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
John Mihovertz is getting 2000+ hp with Teksid blocks. He owns Accufab and has been buying up standard bore Teksids forever for his race engines that he uses and sells to customers.

The WAP blocks are decent but not able to handle the same as a Teksid.

Now the 05+ Aluminum block is also very good so don't rule that one out.

RedTwilight

Reaction score
John Mihovertz is getting 2000+ hp with Teksid blocks. He owns Accufab and has been buying up standard bore Teksids forever for his race engines that he uses and sells to customers.

The WAP blocks are decent but not able to handle the same as a Teksid.

Now the 05+ Aluminum block is also very good so don't rule that one out.

One thing to remember about John's 2000+ hp blocks are that the water passages are filled. This add substantially to the strength of the block. They are drag race only pieces at this point.

+1 on the '05 blocks. I believe they are the same thing as the modular version of the Boss block.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online