IRS exhaust SRA?

Poonstang

Reaction score
So I recently picked up a stock catback kit off an 03 Cobra for 70 bucks. This is cool because I was just going to reuse the tips, H and Mufflers (for now). But I've Been told that I can run the IRS system on my car. ANy Opinions or help here? I'm stuck. Talked to my step dad about it and he said I should Jack the car up by the frame to see how much supension travel there is and then measure from there. The problem will be when the suspension completley unloads, will it hit the exhaust or not. I read that some people say you have to use suuuper stiff shocks, but I'm not about to do that. People have also said just to bolt it up and drive around, but that sounds kinda iffy, plus my cars a V6, so I have to reweld some flanges before it will work. So maybe just run it and if the pipes hit, cut them off after the mufflers? lol. So what do you guys think I should do? I really need some help here guys :p

9838stang

Reaction score
A buddy of mine has an 02 gt. And when he had stock springs in, he did have running issues when he would go through entrances for parking lots, drive through, anything that would articulate his rear axle enough to hit the springs. he put a lowering kit in and his articuating issues were solved. It really looks sweet with the new exhaust. But when he jacks up the car now the rear axle still rests on the exhaust. it does bend the exhaust and he is thinking about doing something to reduce how far the axles goes down when he jacks it up. Also he can not jack the car up by the axle now that he lowered it by 1in to 1.25 inches. He has to jack it up by the side now. those are his complaints.

OP
OP
Poonstang

Poonstang

Reaction score
he did have running issues when he would go through entrances for parking lots, drive through, anything that would articulate his rear axle enough to hit the springs. he put a lowering kit in and his articuating issues were solved. It really looks sweet with the new exhaust.

What kind of issues? He would heard it hit or what? Also do you think cutting the coils would work? 250ish is alottt for something I can do at home.. Also thanks a ton for replying! Is he on here? I've heard of people doing it, but haven't been able to talk to one yet.

BLCKSTNG96

Reaction score
My pumpkin of my rear was hitting my floor bc my car was so low and I could still jack it up from the rear. Either his jack is too big and old or he doesnt know whats goin on lol.either use a slim jack or back the car up on two pieces of wood before jacking up. I doubt there is really much u will ne able to do to keep the suspension from completely unloading.also take into account that ur tryn to alter a suspension in order to fit tailpipe s when they make the correct fittin oes for the car.

9838stang

Reaction score
What kind of issues? He would heard it hit or what? Also do you think cutting the coils would work? 250ish is alottt for something I can do at home.. Also thanks a ton for replying! Is he on here? I've heard of people doing it, but haven't been able to talk to one yet.
the rear axle would hit/ knock on the rear tail pipes of the cobra exhaust. The cobra exhaust will basically route near the diff/pumpkin of the rear axle. As for cutting coils, personally i'd go against it just because it will feel bouncy but other wise you could.

9838stang

Reaction score
My pumpkin of my rear was hitting my floor bc my car was so low and I could still jack it up from the rear. Either his jack is too big and old or he doesnt know whats goin on lol.either use a slim jack or back the car up on two pieces of wood before jacking up. I doubt there is really much u will ne able to do to keep the suspension from completely unloading.also take into account that ur tryn to alter a suspension in order to fit tailpipe s when they make the correct fittin oes for the car.
My car has a 2 inch drop and i have to back it onto wood blocks so i can get the jack underneath it. My buddy with the IRS (independent rear suspension) exhaust route differently. He has a 1.25 inch drop, and with the exhaust routed like that, the exhaust route in a way that the rear tail pipes will get in way of trying to jack up the rear axle.

DSCN1599redo.jpg

OP
OP
Poonstang

Poonstang

Reaction score
also take into account that ur tryn to alter a suspension in order to fit tailpipe s when they make the correct fittin oes for the car.

I actually LOL'd at this. I like the idea of being able to run the cobras though because I have them, they look badass and i would'nt have to pay anything lol.

And 9838stang, is your friend on here? his gt looks sick!

OP
OP
Poonstang

Poonstang

Reaction score
HALLELUJAH THANK THE LORRD LITTLE BABY JESUS! Twista saves the day! I've been looking around for a WEEK, can't belive I never saw that! Don't have an account there, but checked a few threads there. Thank you TONS guys!

copmagnet

Reaction score
Did you ever do this? how did it turn out? I have some IRS exhaust i bought for this exact thing and now im hearing peoples SRA has smashed the IRS exhaust..

Burninrock24

Reaction score
Old thread I realize, but I talked to 9838Stangs buddy at a meet once and he ran through the exhaust with me, he told me that he custom fabbed the pipes to go *around* the diff but still under the rear axles with the Flowmaster hotrod kit. He still said he had a couple issues, also he custom made his hangers and one tail pipe hung at a little bit of an angle.

RichV

Reaction score
So he's running IRS exhaust under the SRA?

Huh, that sounds very destructive. :)

RichV

Reaction score
Yea, but it CAN'T work. Unless you don't drive it.

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
Looks way nicer IMO

so we do stuff now cause how it looks and then make fun of ricers for the same thing? I'm all for improving looks of a car but this is over the top. When you can't jack your car up and let the rear axle hang cause the exhaust is running under it it's a pretty stupid thing to do.

I can see the convo now: guy at a car show goes hey i noticed your exhaust, you did an IRS swap on this? Oh yeah, no it's just an IRS exhaust on a SRA car. oh that's.....cool.

1997GT4.6

Reaction score
I personally think it looks awesome. I wonder if it would change the sound of the exhaust any? I love how 4v terminators sound; they sound different than the previous 4vs with SRA.

I don't see how its ricey if its basically an appearance mod. Its not skipping out on IRS, its keeping the better SRA :) set up and using the IRS exhaust to make the rear end look a thousand times better. Think about it that way Onyx.

Steve-Oh

Legend
Reaction score
I agree with Ryan here (not to mention this thread is old and horsebeaten). I think there's other ways to improve the look of the rear end that are a better option then trying to stuff an IRS exhaust where it wasn't intended. This is just MY opinion of course.

Burninrock24

Reaction score
so we do stuff now cause how it looks and then make fun of ricers for the same thing? I'm all for improving looks of a car but this is over the top. When you can't jack your car up and let the rear axle hang cause the exhaust is running under it it's a pretty stupid thing to do.

I can see the convo now: guy at a car show goes hey i noticed your exhaust, you did an IRS swap on this? Oh yeah, no it's just an IRS exhaust on a SRA car. oh that's.....cool.

Except it's still an OEM made functional exhaust. "I see your car has saleen wheels, is it a saleen? Oh they're saleens on a Cobra? oh that's... cool." Same logic. You must really hate all the saleen and cobra clones on here too.

Sure it's not like having a true IRS, but I've had to jack my car up once. And it was to install my lowering springs. I mean if it was a regular thing it would be annoying, but I hardly think the 5 minutes it takes to unbolt an exhaust is going way out of your way for the one or two times you have to jack up the rear.

twovalveterror

Reaction score

I don't hate on clones, but this is the equivalent of putting slicks on the back of a FWD car. if anything, it will limit performance, all while adding weight, just to make it look like something it's not. then again, maybe I just hate it because I think my IRS is special...

do what you want, but don't expect people to like it, because it just doesn't make a damn bit of sense.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online

No members online now.