IRS exhaust SRA?

RichV

Reaction score
I don't have anything crazy suspension-wise and I can hardly fit a jack under my pumpkin. So in order to put a IRS exhaust under it you would have to run it close to the axles. Every time your body moves up even an inch, the exhaust moves up with it and it would hit. And that happens probably when you pull out of your driveway, every bump on the road, turning, etc. And that's not even pushing it. Not to mention you would have to loose your rear swaybar for the exhaust routing. I guess that's why you don't see this mode done on SRA cars.

I'm sorry, this mod is whack. I'm with Onyx, chalk this one up to lambo-doors.

Burninrock24

Reaction score
I don't have anything crazy suspension-wise and I can hardly fit a jack under my pumpkin. So in order to put a IRS exhaust under it you would have to run it close to the axles. Every time your body moves up even an inch, the exhaust moves up with it and it would hit. And that happens probably when you pull out of your driveway, every bump on the road, turning, etc. And that's not even pushing it. Not to mention you would have to loose your rear swaybar for the exhaust routing. I guess that's why you don't see this mode done on SRA cars.

I'm sorry, this mod is whack. I'm with Onyx, chalk this one up to lambo-doors.

The thing is that the rear axle moves with the bumps during city driving, so unless you're going over a huge hill and the body goes up and the axle goes down you don't run into issues. Most people I've talked to ran into overall ground clearance issues rather than the axle running into the exhaust.

Also, don't quote me on it, but I believe one of the aftermarket sway bars fits with the IRS exhaust. I believe it's the Eibach one, but I can't remember exactly.

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
I really doubt it changes the sound and as far as making the rear look better it's opinion. I think it loooks good on cars with IRS swap because I know that's what it represents. Half the time people don't get the pipes straight anyways and it looks like poopie.

Except it's still an OEM made functional exhaust. "I see your car has saleen wheels, is it a saleen? Oh they're saleens on a Cobra? oh that's... cool." Same logic. You must really hate all the saleen and cobra clones on here too.

Sure it's not like having a true IRS, but I've had to jack my car up once. And it was to install my lowering springs. I mean if it was a regular thing it would be annoying, but I hardly think the 5 minutes it takes to unbolt an exhaust is going way out of your way for the one or two times you have to jack up the rear.

It's an OEM functional exhaust for cars with IRS, you didn't see Ford say screw it now that we have to make this IRS exhaust lets just put it on all the Mustangs! I will admit I don't like clones that people try to pass off as real, otherwise I really don't care. Putting Cobra emblems on a GT is stupid because it's meaningless, just like this exhaust mod.

Saleen wheels on my car isn't even close to the same thing, for one that's where the wheels are supposed to go, unlike routing exhaust under the rear axle. and two it's quite obvious my car isn't a Saleen. If i told people it was a Saleen Cobra then you might have something but I'd never do that cause that's stupid.

Lastly if you've only jacked your car up once then I'm not sure if i should feel happy or sad for you. Maybe you're not into the hobby as much as many of us on here, but there's a reason why a lot of us know this isn't a practical idea.

Burninrock24

Reaction score
I really doubt it changes the sound and as far as making the rear look better it's opinion. I think it loooks good on cars with IRS swap because I know that's what it represents. Half the time people don't get the pipes straight anyways and it looks like poopie.

It's an OEM functional exhaust for cars with IRS, you didn't see Ford say screw it now that we have to make this IRS exhaust lets just put it on all the Mustangs! I will admit I don't like clones that people try to pass off as real, otherwise I really don't care. Putting Cobra emblems on a GT is stupid because it's meaningless, just like this exhaust mod.

Saleen wheels on my car isn't even close to the same thing, for one that's where the wheels are supposed to go, unlike routing exhaust under the rear axle. and two it's quite obvious my car isn't a Saleen. If i told people it was a Saleen Cobra then you might have something but I'd never do that cause that's stupid.

Lastly if you've only jacked your car up once then I'm not sure if i should feel happy or sad for you. Maybe you're not into the hobby as much as many of us on here, but there's a reason why a lot of us know this isn't a practical idea.

Well you're definitely entitled to your own opinion. It doesn't change the sound at all though you're right. I just think it looks cleaner overall, seeing more pipes in the flesh gives it a more muscular look IMO.

Just out of curiosity, what are you doing constantly that you're jacking the rear up all the time? I can understand people like RichV that track their cars and need to change out tires and make adjustments on the fly. But the only times that I've ever been under my car for the years of my ownership have been to install my lowering springs, change my trans fluid, do an oil change, change the front ball joints, and to change the wheels. And two of those things didn't even require jacking the rear of the car.

RichV

Reaction score
My car spends more time on a jack or jackstands than driving. :)

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
Well you're definitely entitled to your own opinion. It doesn't change the sound at all though you're right. I just think it looks cleaner overall, seeing more pipes in the flesh gives it a more muscular look IMO.

Just out of curiosity, what are you doing constantly that you're jacking the rear up all the time? I can understand people like RichV that track their cars and need to change out tires and make adjustments on the fly. But the only times that I've ever been under my car for the years of my ownership have been to install my lowering springs, change my trans fluid, do an oil change, change the front ball joints, and to change the wheels. And two of those things didn't even require jacking the rear of the car.

It may add a more aggressive look but it doesn't do nearly as much for the car as a lowered stance and wide rear wheels and tires. If that's all you've done with your Mustang then I can totally understand why you'd be for this as really it's next to nothing as far as mods go. Honestly if i had to jack my car up once or twice a year even then I wouldn't want to have to deal with these stupid exhaust pipes under the axle. I HATE messing with the exhaust, it's annoying as hell trying to get everything to fit right, be even, etc. but just because I don't track my car all the time doesn't mean it's always on the ground.

I've pulled the engine, pulled the trans 3 times, had 4 different catbacks on it, several midpipes and headers, I've done the suspension 3 times including K member install, brakes, changed the wheels a couple times, I mean the list goes on. You don't only have to raise your car up if it's a track vehicle, you just need to get more into the hobby then you have so far.

That being said I guess you could put the jack stands under the rear axle to keep it from hanging while working on the car, but that's going to limit what you can work on at the rear of the car.

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
Dude... No...

DSLR033_zpse97b5efb.jpg

Burninrock24

Reaction score
2nd one seems like it's mounted right with enough clearance, but it's also sitting on hoosiers too, so who knows.

Wichers123

Reaction score
I run my exhaust under my axle but I had the muffler shop weld it up that way. I was having issues with the axle hitting the exhaust when it was over the axle.

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
All the guys with 3" exhaust run it under the axle as well .

Wichers123

Reaction score
It's really simple. I run the series 40 flow master to the factory pipes after the h pipe then go un the axle under the tubes not the pumpkin then to my factory tips.. Never hits the ground and never hits the axle only when on the rack.

RichV

Reaction score
All the guys with 3" exhaust run it under the axle as well .

My SVO has a single 3" over the axle, I've never had it hit. You just need a exhaust shop that knows what they're doing. I know it's not a easy thing, but it can be done.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online