IRS in my 94??

Bill94vert

Reaction score
just wondering if anyone has done this swap, i remember reading on it a while ago but cannt find it anymore.

jpajkos

Reaction score
MY buddy has a IRS setup on his 96 cobra and hates it.....

19mustang95

Legend
Reaction score
the only real benefit of IRS is use in auto-x and things like that, but for any type of acceleration like drag racing, you get wheel hop like crazy. :santa_afro:

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
19mustang95 said:
the only real benefit of IRS is use in auto-x and things like that, but for any type of acceleration like drag racing, you get wheel hop like crazy. :santa_afro:

This is true, however if you do get the swap you should get it out of a Terminator Cobra their stuff is better than the one they put in the 99 ( like mine ) with the right parts you can almost COMPLETELY elimate wheel hop. And with sticky tires like DR's you will dead hook and fly :banana:

chrajohns0

Reaction score
i asked about this on another site and was told that it can be done but you don't see it all over the place so its not worth it. if it would be a benefits to us.... there would be tons of people doing it.

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
chrajohns0 said:
i asked about this on another site and was told that it can be done but you don't see it all over the place so its not worth it. if it would be a benefits to us.... there would be tons of people doing it.

thats about it, most guys want the solid rear for what we use our cars for...........drag racing

OP
OP
Bill94vert

Bill94vert

Reaction score
I wont be draging my car, i have a fox setup for that already, i was just thinking ride quality and something different than everyone else.

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
Bill94vert said:
I wont be draging my car, i have a fox setup for that already, i was just thinking ride quality and something different than everyone else.

I can tell you right now the ride qualty with the IRS is :santa_cool: :santa_cool: :santa_cool: much better than a silid axle. And it would be something you dont see on a pre 99 car :boink:

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
Bill94vert said:
now i just need some swap info :santa_grin:

I think there is some of that over on SVTP, since that is a Cobra hangout :santa_rolleyes:, im sure you could find out what you need to know there.

Good Luck :thumb:

69clark

Reaction score
I almost did the swap a year ago but decided against it. Too many other projects going on at the time. I too was looking for something different, a better ride, and my car is more of a corner carver than setup up for drag racing.

G

GREG@SN95

IRS is just dead weight

crap

just do suspension and ya'll get 10x better performance

only reason do do IRS is if you plan on doing all the suspension too and want to road race it... other wise... don't bother

ryclef331

Reaction score
I have done the swap. It is a dead nuts DROP IN. We parked a 95 gt right next to an 03 cobra and traded the rears out. There are TWO kinks...One is you have to swap out the pinion flanges. You reuse your stock driveshaft so you need the 8.8 Pinion flange bolted on to the IRS. The other is the brake lines on the sn95 aren't like the cobra. The cobra has TWO seperate lines that will run down the car to TWO rubber flex lines for each rear wheel. A solid axle car has ONE line all the way back dead center over the axle...to ONE rubber flex line down to the axle where is tee's off. Its then a solid rigid line to each wheel down the axle. This is a problem. By going IRS, each wheel can move independently of each other. What I did was ghetto but worked. ALot of Zipties and a lil tweaking of the brake lines here and there. We did it the cheap way. I'm sure for a few bucks, the brake line problem could be easily resolved the right way. Like I said though, everything drops right in. Remember also, by putting IRS in an SN95, you're picking up another 3/4" of track width on eachside. Any more questions lemme know. I can answer them.

19mustang95

Legend
Reaction score
Snakebit said:
I can tell you right now the ride qualty with the IRS is :santa_cool: :santa_cool: :santa_cool: much better than a silid axle. And it would be something you dont see on a pre 99 car :boink:

ride quality in a mustang :rollinglaugh: :rollinglaugh: :rollinglaugh: :rollinglaugh: :rollinglaugh: :rollinglaugh: :rollinglaugh: :rollinglaugh: :rollinglaugh:

G

GREG@SN95

19mustang95 said:
Snakebit said:

ride quality in a mustang :rollinglaugh: :rollinglaugh: :rollinglaugh: :rollinglaugh: :rollinglaugh: :rollinglaugh: :rollinglaugh: :rollinglaugh: :rollinglaugh:

+1

Its a mustang... not a camry

OP
OP
Bill94vert

Bill94vert

Reaction score
ryclef331 said:
I have done the swap. It is a dead nuts DROP IN. We parked a 95 gt right next to an 03 cobra and traded the rears out. There are TWO kinks...One is you have to swap out the pinion flanges. You reuse your stock driveshaft so you need the 8.8 Pinion flange bolted on to the IRS. The other is the brake lines on the sn95 aren't like the cobra. The cobra has TWO seperate lines that will run down the car to TWO rubber flex lines for each rear wheel. A solid axle car has ONE line all the way back dead center over the axle...to ONE rubber flex line down to the axle where is tee's off. Its then a solid rigid line to each wheel down the axle. This is a problem. By going IRS, each wheel can move independently of each other. What I did was ghetto but worked. ALot of Zipties and a lil tweaking of the brake lines here and there. We did it the cheap way. I'm sure for a few bucks, the brake line problem could be easily resolved the right way. Like I said though, everything drops right in. Remember also, by putting IRS in an SN95, you're picking up another 3/4" of track width on eachside. Any more questions lemme know. I can answer them.
awesome to hear... thnk i will have rubbing issues being 1.5" wider? im running 17x10.5 wheels with 315s on them... :dunno:

OP
OP
Bill94vert

Bill94vert

Reaction score
well i found one for sale locally but i think hes wants alittle too much...
I'm looking for $2500 for the IRS as it has a lot of upgrades I can fill you in on if you are interested. Or $2k plus your solid axle. Let me know, thanks.

what ya think?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online