IRS swap in 95 GT

Weggy

Reaction score
Hello All,

Any thoughts on the pro's/con's of swapping my factory rear end? Currently its a stock 1995 GT with a 273 gear. I was thinking up picking up a used IRS rear end. Is it worth it? What year IRS car would I be able to use as the donor? Is this a simple swap or will I need to make fabrications?

Thanks for your time.

Benni614

Reaction score
Hello All,

Any thoughts on the pro's/con's of swapping my factory rear end? Currently its a stock 1995 GT with a 273 gear. I was thinking up picking up a used IRS rear end. Is it worth it? What year IRS car would I be able to use as the donor? Is this a simple swap or will I need to make fabrications?

Thanks for your time.
I will say I am running 560 on my setup and suspension setup and I don't have that added for me i don't run it but my boy does and honestly I can't see the difference or worth for me to buy it or even swap it

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Silver95bird

Reaction score
If you live somewhere where corner carving is a daily experience, its great.
for straight line driving/ 1/4 mile driving, i wouldn't swap to it.
Loved it in my old thunderbird. great in the snow too.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
You can run it for drag but it’s expensive to set up for it. They’re great for daily driven and especially for corner carving. You can source them from 99-04 cobras. Ideally you want 03-04. They came with the strongest axles and the cover brace. They all came with 3:55 gears and are a direct bolt in minus the rear brackets which you need some drilling and bolts for but nothing major. You have to order the cobra bolts for the front brackets as they’re bigger than the gt bolts. Only other mods are rigging up your brake lines and you can’t run a standard exhaust.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
W

Weggy

Reaction score
I will say I am running 560 on my setup and suspension setup and I don't have that added for me i don't run it but my boy does and honestly I can't see the difference or worth for me to buy it or even swap it

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Thanks for the Reply!

OP
OP
W

Weggy

Reaction score
You can run it for drag but it’s expensive to set up for it. They’re great for daily driven and especially for corner carving. You can source them from 99-04 cobras. Ideally you want 03-04. They came with the strongest axles and the cover brace. They all came with 3:55 gears and are a direct bolt in minus the rear brackets which you need some drilling and bolts for but nothing major. You have to order the cobra bolts for the front brackets as they’re bigger than the gt bolts. Only other mods are rigging up your brake lines and you can’t run a standard exhaust.

Thanks for the Reply! . Sounds like a fair amount of work and I will lose my current magnaflow exhaust setup.

OP
OP
W

Weggy

Reaction score
If you live somewhere where corner carving is a daily experience, its great.
for straight line driving/ 1/4 mile driving, i wouldn't swap to it.
Loved it in my old thunderbird. great in the snow too.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the Reply! My main driving would be street..... no real plans to drag race.
I do live in a rural area with winding roads..... I am still pondering all of this. I am leaning towards not swapping and swapping the ring and pinion for a 373. I need to find a good shop in northeastern Massachusetts.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the Reply! . Sounds like a fair amount of work and I will lose my current magnaflow exhaust setup.

You can keep the exhaust, just not the tail pipes. You either dump it, go with side exhaust like a few of us, or get irs tailpipes.

Whole swap can easily be done in a day without a lot of crazy work.

OP
OP
W

Weggy

Reaction score
You can keep the exhaust, just not the tail pipes. You either dump it, go with side exhaust like a few of us, or get irs tailpipes.

Whole swap can easily be done in a day without a lot of crazy work.

Definitely good information here. Thank you sir.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online