Is 4.10 too much gear? OR would 3.73 work better?

Vegasfilter

Reaction score
As the title says I am looking into upgrading my gears but was wondering how much gear I should go with. My car is my daily driver with the option of having it parked due to me having a spare pickup. Basically I will be using the vehicle to drive to car shows and weekend driving/fun. My next questions is install choices. I can get it installed professionally locally for $230 total W/gears. I think that is a steal. Basically paying $100 (+/-) bucks for install. I believe the guy gets gears wholesale which I would be paying $150 for gears thru AM and having to install myself...which might not be too easy for a beginner mechanic.

Ballistic

Reaction score
I got 4.10s on mine and love them.

I figured while its apart its a good time to, replace the bearings and went with a new Carbon Fiber Clutch Pack from ford racing, got my gears from ford racing also..
(From my understanding you can't change the transmission speedo gear because to get one with the correct amount of teeth would make It will self destruct in a matter of feet.)

And i also got the master shim kit..

You will also need the speedcal if you want to correct your speedo when i diddnt have it, my speedo would say im doing 80 but im really doing 60 so that means its putting more miles on your car..

I bought all the parts and had my ford dealership install them, figured if something is ****ed up with there install they got the insurance to fix it..

Side note, when im doing about 60 down the freeway im at about 2k rpm..

SN90FiveOh

Reaction score
I love my 4.10s! even on the highway. Puts you at 3100 rpm at 80 mph and the slightest throttle difference throws you up and over 100 lmao.

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
Don't fear the gear!! Go 4.10's and then do the PI swap to increase your upper RPM horsepower to take advantage.

grimreaper_72

Reaction score
just got my 4.10 gears done yesterday with all new bearings, I wish I had done this sooner, got a feeling my mpg just went to sh*t though lol, now I need to get a tuner to correct my speedo and take advantage of my other bolt ons

Ballistic

Reaction score
just got my 4.10 gears done yesterday with all new bearings, I wish I had done this sooner, got a feeling my mpg just went to sh*t though lol, now I need to get a tuner to correct my speedo and take advantage of my other bolt ons

Tuner will not correct your speedo if you are 98 and below, only 99 and up can do that.. See my post above and about the Ford Racing Speedcal.

kb1982

Reaction score
Actually your mpg may increase if you do alot of slower speed driving, such as in town. I see you live in Nebraska, so Im betting your your roads arent very hilly, but here in Ky, it actually will improve also on the average 55 mph roads. Interstates is where you will notice the biggest drop with mpg. I noticed the OP lives in Denver, so it may actually pay off for him also.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
You say interstate mpg may go down, but after I did the 3.73's in my car my mpg increased. My commute is 75 miles one way and it's practically all interstate. I was getting around 23mpg with the cruise set at 80 mph.

grimreaper_72

Reaction score
I did some looking around how close would the speedo be if I used the purple 21 tooth gear I know its for 3.73 but right now mine is about 20mph off I have my gps and when I'm doing 85 I'm just under 65 just curious

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdude138

Members online