Is it possible to press the crank pulley on too far??

Black 96

Reaction score
I have recently finished a PI swap on my 96 gt and it starts and runs great but am having an issue with the belt jumping a rib on the crank pulley. It is jumping forward (toward radiator) one rib of the belt causing the belt to shred in minutes. This leads me to believe that the crank pulley is on too much (for lack of a better word) to close to the timing cover. Is this even possible? Or does the crank pulley only reach a certain point to where it stops. Or could I be totally wrong and maybe it's not on enough???

FivepointSlow

Reaction score
Something could be pushed in too far, like you said about the crank.. But I don't think that's possible... If a pulley is pushed towards the radiator it could pull the belt forward and have the same effect.

Crapatalkin' on the iPhone 5.0

Win

Legend
Reaction score
I have recently finished a PI swap on my 96 gt and it starts and runs great but am having an issue with the belt jumping a rib on the crank pulley. It is jumping forward (toward radiator) one rib of the belt causing the belt to shred in minutes. This leads me to believe that the crank pulley is on too much (for lack of a better word) to close to the timing cover. Is this even possible? Or does the crank pulley only reach a certain point to where it stops. Or could I be totally wrong and maybe it's not on enough???

You could have gotten a bad one. It could have been machined too much.

OP
OP
Black 96

Black 96

Reaction score
You could have gotten a bad one. It could have been machined too much.

I never had the pulley machined. All the pulleys and pulley assemblies are all from my car orignially so it should only be that I put something on wrong.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Their is no clearance between the crank pulley and front cover....if any the pulley isnt seated.
Can you post some good clear pics of the belt and the front engine?

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Yea...ive never done it. And at 120ft lb of torque setting I cant see how its going to go "beyond" its seat...lol

OP
OP
Black 96

Black 96

Reaction score
Their is no clearance between the crank pulley and front cover....if any the pulley isnt seated.
Can you post some good clear pics of the belt and the front engine?
[/URL][/IMG]
DSC_0408_zpsfb52c6df.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
DSC_0411_zps117cc7ae.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
DSC_0412_zps20ef1e36.jpg.html
DSC_0413_zps865f7523.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]suspect #3 the ac pulley. really don't think this is the problem but everything is up in the air right now

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online