is there a place to drill/tap for a 2nd oil pressure sender?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I currently have gauges set up to read both the oil temp and the oil pressure in the fittings sticking out of the block like I have seen everyone else do. I recently added a spot in my lower intake for my aftermarket gauge sender to go right next to the stock sender so it will remain active just because I hate seeing it dead. Is there a spot that I an do the same for the oil senders?

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
right and that is what I have done but I have an oil temp and pressure sensor now. just looking to make things a little cleaner/simpler rather then adding another T to it. I just have no idea where the oil flows through to know if its possible.

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
hmmm I think I do recall seeing those now that ya mention it. Just need to check clearance but good suggestion.

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I have an oil relocation kit for my 5.0 that has 4 ports on it - 2 are used for the oil in/out to the filter, and the other 2 ports are available for whatever you want. I will be running my oil temp and oil pressure sensors off these two ports.

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
cool the sandwich plates seem like a simple way to do it nice and clean. Now with that plate comes the option to run an oil cooler. Is there anyone on here that uses one by chance? Seems like it would be good to have as I noticed on long trips that it would slowly keep rising although I can't remember what it got up too....

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
The kit I have isn't actually a sandwich plate but a relocate kit for the filter. The part that has all the extra ports on the filter portion of the relocate kit. I don't know if there would be enough room where the stock oil filter goes to run a sandwich plate with sensors hanging out of it. You might be able to run some hose and mount the sensors "remotely" though

BLWNBYU

Reaction score
Just get rid of your stock oil pressure sending unit

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
The kit I have isn't actually a sandwich plate but a relocate kit for the filter. The part that has all the extra ports on the filter portion of the relocate kit. I don't know if there would be enough room where the stock oil filter goes to run a sandwich plate with sensors hanging out of it. You might be able to run some hose and mount the sensors "remotely" though

I know its tight there and I wondered that myself. Another reason I considered the oil cooler as if I am going to run lines for a remote filter it just seems like it would be a good idea to do a cooler as well(with a thermostat). Sure more money but at this point....

Just get rid of your stock oil pressure sending unit

Right that is what I said I am currently doing but the dead gauge just bugs me even though I know its basically useless.

BLWNBYU

Reaction score
Ground the wire.... voila.. no dead gauge

BLWNBYU

Reaction score
To clarify.. you don't need an oil pressure switch for the stock oil pressure gauge to read normal. All that 6 psi switch does is provides ground for the circuit.

bluex

Reaction score
To clarify.. you don't need an oil pressure switch for the stock oil pressure gauge to read normal. All that 6 psi switch does is provides ground for the circuit.

So all the factory gauge is doing is showing that the pressure is higher than 6 psi? Guess a real pressure gauge just moved a little higher up on my priority list. That's no better than an idiot light....

BLWNBYU

Reaction score
So all the factory gauge is doing is showing that the pressure is higher than 6 psi? Guess a real pressure gauge just moved a little higher up on my priority list. That's no better than an idiot light....
Worse than an idiot light.. lol.
1. You think you have a working gauge.
2. You can have serious engine issues and the gauge reads normal.
3. When the gauge freaks out you think you have issues when you don't.

bluex

Reaction score
Worse than an idiot light.. lol.
1. You think you have a working gauge.
2. You can have serious engine issues and the gauge reads normal.
3. When the gauge freaks out you think you have issues when you don't.

I just realized this is in the 5.0 section. I use tapatalk alot and dont pay attention to what section things are in most times. Is the gauge funciton still the same for a 4.6? I'm assuming it is since when I almost stall the car I notice the gauge drop very quickly to the bottom and come immediately back to its normal "mid" location.

Also maybe a dumb question here to as I'm more familar with GM stuff but on most GM's the oil pressure switch will kill the fuel pump relay at low/zero pressue. Guessing this also isnt the case if theres only one wire coming off it? Reason I'm asking is if its basically an idiot light I'd personally rather leave it dead so it forces me to look at the real guage instead of giving false info. I also want to add a real coolant gauge so I know what temp its running instead of just "normal" lol. Thanks!

BLWNBYU

Reaction score
I just realized this is in the 5.0 section. I use tapatalk alot and dont pay attention to what section things are in most times. Is the gauge funciton still the same for a 4.6? I'm assuming it is since when I almost stall the car I notice the gauge drop very quickly to the bottom and come immediately back to its normal "mid" location.

Also maybe a dumb question here to as I'm more familar with GM stuff but on most GM's the oil pressure switch will kill the fuel pump relay at low/zero pressue. Guessing this also isnt the case if theres only one wire coming off it? Reason I'm asking is if its basically an idiot light I'd personally rather leave it dead so it forces me to look at the real guage instead of giving false info. I also want to add a real coolant gauge so I know what temp its running instead of just "normal" lol. Thanks!
I don't know on a 4.6 brotha.

RichV

Reaction score
Scott, don't use the pressure location for the oil temp sensor. You need t put the temp sensor in the oil circulation. Either in the oil cooler line (if you have one), or in the pan. To get a good reading anyway, not sure if you have a aftermarket pan but a lot of them have a temp sensor provision.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TN95gt

Members online