is this bad struts or a brake problem?

OpenRoadRacer

Reaction score
here's the deal.... there are loud popping sounds when i apply my brakes, after my car comes to a stop and the front end settles back up, when i back up and when i'm up the 1 inch lip up into the garage.

i can back up 2 feet, hit the brakes... it does it every time. move forward 2 feet same thing.

here's what i know it is not:

brand new polyurathane control arm bushings, upper strut mounts, brand new tie rod ends. Ball joints are in good shape as i inspected them when i did the bushings. the clips are in place on the brake pads, so it's not those moving back and forth.

possible culprits:

struts - at least 4 years old.. they are motorcraft so it's possible, but not probable that they could be the original struts.
or it could be the brakes but they are in good shape.... so it don't know.

would phucked up struts cause this kind of noise?

thanks

ryclef331

Reaction score
I doubt your struts are bad already. Do you have aftermarket springs in the car? Are the isolators in there? Are they still the STOCK springs? They might have worn through the isolators already and the springs are shifting in the cups, making a pop noise. Get the front in the air and look at the brake calipers themselves.

There really isn't much to the front ends on these cars. There is only so much it could be. Tighten up everything under there, spray all pivot points with some WD40 (I know it isn't the "right" lube but for troubleshooting purposes, its fine). Try it out again. You said you put all new bushing in it...I'm sure you lubed it up but you also COULD have over tightened the hardware some where its binding as you go down the rode and hitting the brakes makes the front end dive causing again...your pop.

I'd get the front end in the air, take the tires off and just check EVERYTHING.....Strut bolts, brake caliper hardware, control arms, springs, swaybar and bushings....

OP
OP
O

OpenRoadRacer

Reaction score
see, this is what's so confusing. i have checked everything and it looks fine.

the springs are BBK's and the isolators are in there good.

if you don't think it's the struts, then it has to be in the caliper somewhere. the brackets are tight and the pads are installed correctly.

hell, i think i just figured it out. they are vatozone brake pads and i bet they are moving around in the bracket and caliper. but i would think the clips would eliminate that... :dunno:

is it possible to mess up the K member where it connects to the contrl arms? the bushings were bad and i wonder if it opened up the K member?

just a guess.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx