Is this the real deal?

tinnocker

Reaction score
I just received a Ford Performance timing chain M6268-B302. I shopped around and found the best price on e-bay. I opened the Ford box and looked at it but could find nothing that said it was made by Ford. Is this common for Ford engine parts not to have their name or logo on them? It had some numbers on it that didn't correspond with any on the listed ad. Just wondering!

Last edited:

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
I have orders ford racing parts timing chains won't
The gears won't
Is it a double roller

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
its very common for ford to buy its parts from someone and do little more than put a different box on them. With that being said I quit ordering parts off of ebay some time ago after watching this

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Yup. You want the real deal, its got to come from a credible source and fleebay is not one of them. And i love fleebay! I buy alot of useful tooling, rc parts, and just random deals.

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
I do try to get my stuff from a place I know that has good ford parts and not bull shit
A lot of stuff now and days are knock offs
Cheap stuff

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
the knock offs got so good looking and plentiful that they actually took some good names down when they failed and people could not tell the difference.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Yes! Arp being one. Commie bastages just about took them down. People caught on quick when they say their arp head studs broke and when asked where they purchased, the reply was fleebay. Buy direct or credible source. No company can replicate a product that arp has took years to develop.

Michael Plummer

Reaction score
Two takeaways from this and the video.
1. Buy from reputable sellers like a Dealership
2. Stop being consumed on saving a few dollars on everything you buy like it's a badge of honor because, in the end, it will be more than just a few dollars when you end up with fake replacement parts.

Thank you
Michael Plummer

Last edited:

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I think we have all heard about MSD's quality problems over the past 10-15 yrs? I can't confirm it but I read that the majority of the problems were due to fake parts that looked good enough to fool a LOT of people. The company never went after them and because of it there were a LOT of knock-off made and people snapped them up to save a few bucks and then blamed msd for making crap gear when it failed. When Holley purchased them they went after the knock-offs and got their quality up to par and the past few years I have been hearing more good than bad. At this point the only people I know that hate their gear is carrying a chip on their shoulder from 15-20 yrs ago that they do not want to stop carrying.

I actually stopped buying the discount gear when I discovered they were making fake memory chips. After working in the semiconductor manf industry I know just how sensitive the process is and how much time it takes to do it correctly. There was one day engineering came in and told us to stop running one of our machines because they had tracked a bunch of failures that all had that one machine in common, so it had to be that machine. Now they NEVER wanted to shut those down because they cost millions of dollars each and when they are not turning, your not earning but they knew for some reason it was causing a problem. They took that thing apart slowly over the next 3 months and in the end they discovered that there was a tube that fed a process gas into the chamber that was 1/8"of an inch shorter than it was supposed to be and because of that difference it caused a change in the chip that at first tested as normal for us but 6-8 months down the road it would fail. Now this was Intel and that is the way they worked but I know a knock off would not care if it failed 6 months down the road, they might even be proud it lasted that long. If they can fake microchips, they can fake anything....

PinkieT

Reaction score
On the other hand, I bought a Summit driveshaft last year. What I got was a Ford Racing driveshaft with the Ford part number on it in a generic box with a Summit sticker. Places like Summit have a lot of house brand products that are just re-badged stuff from major manufacturers.

OP
OP
T

tinnocker

Reaction score
On the larger sprocket there is a stamped in the metal number...1-09 P5208. The smaller sprocket is 16 P5206. It has the adjustable timing notches for the keyway. The large sprocket is solid, doesn't have the 3 or 4 oval holes that some have. I tried to find a blown up picture on line to compare the area of the stamping but could not. I will ask my builder who owns a large Mustang shop if he has any Ford sprockets, either old or new to compare them with.

I saw this on the History Channel. Ford lost the bid to build the WW II Jeeps, but when the winning bidder , Willys, couldn't keep up with production, Uncle Sam persuaded Henry Ford to help out. Ford had already heard of the sloppy parts and assembly associated with the Willys version of the jeep and didn't want any part of the Jeeps bad publicity on his back so he ordered all parts to build the Jeep would have a Ford stamp on them, even the glass and nuts and bolts. The motor pool guys could always tell if they were working on a Ford Jeep or a Willys. The episode said that the mechanics agreed that the Ford was a better product. It seems today that Ford is not as proud of their product. Lots of their parts are built overseas, even China. I bought a Ford 306 crate engine from Ford Performance. My info said to use a #xxxx Ford starter so I ordered one. It came in a sealed Ford cardboard box. The starter was in a plastic sealed bag with Ford all over it. The starter had a stamp on it that said 'Made in China'. The starter did look good and worked great, but being a die hard 60 year old Ford man, it hurt putting a chinese starter on my built 302.

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
I think we have all heard about MSD's quality problems over the past 10-15 yrs? I can't confirm it but I read that the majority of the problems were due to fake parts that looked good enough to fool a LOT of people. The company never went after them and because of it there were a LOT of knock-off made and people snapped them up to save a few bucks and then blamed msd for making crap gear when it failed. When Holley purchased them they went after the knock-offs and got their quality up to par and the past few years I have been hearing more good than bad. At this point the only people I know that hate their gear is carrying a chip on their shoulder from 15-20 yrs ago that they do not want to stop carrying.

I actually stopped buying the discount gear when I discovered they were making fake memory chips. After working in the semiconductor manf industry I know just how sensitive the process is and how much time it takes to do it correctly. There was one day engineering came in and told us to stop running one of our machines because they had tracked a bunch of failures that all had that one machine in common, so it had to be that machine. Now they NEVER wanted to shut those down because they cost millions of dollars each and when they are not turning, your not earning but they knew for some reason it was causing a problem. They took that thing apart slowly over the next 3 months and in the end they discovered that there was a tube that fed a process gas into the chamber that was 1/8"of an inch shorter than it was supposed to be and because of that difference it caused a change in the chip that at first tested as normal for us but 6-8 months down the road it would fail. Now this was Intel and that is the way they worked but I know a knock off would not care if it failed 6 months down the road, they might even be proud it lasted that long. If they can fake microchips, they can fake anything....
I would not own an MSD product

Wmac

Reaction score
Have a A302 timing chain set that I probably bought from Summit for whenever I remove the front cover. The Tag on the bottom says M-6268-A302. Also 06/04/10 stamped on the tag. The box is printed with the "old" Ford Motorsports SVO logo.
None of the part have an identifiable Ford logo or part # on them. My best guess would be that it is a Cloyes set (or of similar quality) sold and boxed for the old Ford performance division.

OP
OP
T

tinnocker

Reaction score
I think it is the real deal. I looked up one on the American Muscle Mustang web site and there were some customer's pictures posted and I found one that I could blow up and it had the same numbers on the small sprocket and in the same area. I will try to order important parts from a reputable company from now on. Thanks.

waynenorcross

Reaction score
I think it is the real deal. I looked up one on the American Muscle Mustang web site and there were some customer's pictures posted and I found one that I could blow up and it had the same numbers on the small sprocket and in the same area. I will try to order important parts from a reputable company from now on. Thanks.
Try Jim at Performancepartsinc.com. tell him Wayne sent you. No fake parts there.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrowdKiller

Members online

No members online now.