Isuzu Trooper Rebirth

duh09

Legend
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
So I'm going to assume most of you don't know about my little Trooper, but I'm about to get some work done to it to get it back on the road so I figured I'd start a little mini-build on here just as an excuse to post more and show off the ridiculous-ness of it all. This is not going to be to everyone's taste.... hell, it's not even to MY tastes but the Trooper has always been just a funny ride to drive around and I'm going to keep that idea going. Pretty much everything for this is going to be craigslist or second-hand, so it'll be a fun little budget build.

We got this Trooper awhile back for a farm vehicle for a whopping $1000. Thing ran great, had a super awesome camo-paint job on it and they even blacked out the back side windows and had some t-i-g-h-t POW-MIA stickers on it. I drove it for awhile in between vehicles and eventually we ditched the skinny wheels and tires and put some OEM Toyota Enkei wheels with 31x12.5 Super Swampers on it, scrapped off those back windows, swapped in some better front seats from a junkyard Trooper and rocked it. The sum-***** used to do wheelies with the itty bitty skinny tires it had... ok so you had to bounce the gas on and off to get it in the air, but dammit there was oxygen under the front wheels. We eventually had some issues with the oil cooler lines which prompted my dad to get a buddy of his to bypass the stock oil cooler and just loop the two barbs with some line that we came to find out could not hold up to the heat/pressure of the system. The line would get hot, kink, and blow one end off and pump every bit of oil out on the ground. It happened a couple times to me but as soon as it happened, it shot oil straight on the exhaust so it was obvious and we'd just shut it down and haul it home. My dad drove it one day and when it happened to him, it pissed him off and he drove it the 2-3 miles home. Which of course locked that motor up. We managed to get it free by soaking it Marvel Mystery Oil and ever so gently yanking it down the road, but it lasted a whole day before grenading. And so we parked it.

Fast forward quite a few months later and a customer came into our store and was building a 2.8L for his Blazer (who the flip does that?) and was going to have his factory motor for sale as soon as it got done so I scooped it up for $150. Motor ran fine, needed a new timing set and a couple oil seals but the guy ran synthetic in it as long as he owned it and drove it everyday until he pulled it to swap in his new motor. I threw a new timing set in it and we're hauling it all this weekend to a friend who's going to be doing the actual swap for us.

So here's what I plan to do to it when I get the truck back:

-I've got a set of 15x14 (yes, 15x14) steel wheels with the super duper awesome simulated beadlocks. Tires on these wheels are shot, so of course the 31x12.5 Super Swampers are going on. Woah super JDM tyte stretch yo! "Beadlock" rings are coming off and getting powdercoated (thinking gold if I can get it like I want) with black bolts. Every other bolt will be replaced with spike bolts. What says ridiculous more than spike bolts? Nothing. Hopefully they'll fit without spacers but if I need them, they'll go on too.

-Planning on cranking the torsion bars up, and finding a way to lower the rear a smidge to get that bulldog look. If you don't know the look I'm talking about, consider yourself lucky. It's got a few different names (cali lean, tennessee tilt, etc) but the basic idea is front end of the truck up, ass-end down. Looks like shit, is stupid, but it's ridiculous enough that it's going to happen. May actually buy a lift for the front and do it correctly if I can find a deal on one.

-Got a 12" sub and little mini system to throw in the truck. It's already got some Walmart special speakers sliding around in the back but I'm going to try and find a way to get everything mounted down and a LITTLE more professional (keyword: LITTLE) for a little boom-boom when I'm cruising in my Troopah.

-The stock bumpers were trimmed by the previous because they did meth or something but they look like poo so they're going ASAP. Planning on finding some sort of tube bumper and making it work and throwing one of those fancy LED light bars on it for that "baller" status. and trimming the front of the fenders up level with the rest of the front end.

-Scuff and touch up some of the camo. It was a crappy spray bomb job and has started flaking pretty much everywhere. Not doing much more than scuffing and spraying over the top of it.

-Bye-bye sway bars for better "mall crawling" photos.

So there it is, simple little fun build. If you don't like it, that's fine but I promise you 110% you will not change my mind or make me feel bad about it and I'll be laughing everytime I take it down the road.

Anyways, here's a couple pics of the Troopah. Picking the wheels up in a couple hours. Hopefully work will start next week.
ca2979887c6311e282c522000a1fa433_7.jpg

4461e9f80ebb11e3b74322000aeb3ecb_7.jpg

joekd

Reaction score
I had one years ago, 31x10.5 BFG AT's all around, welded spider in the front end so it was a true locker and that little jap box could scramble up trails following quads

Slipperman

Reaction score
I bought one brand new in '89. It was loaded and had a 2.6L four cylinder 4ZE1 engine.

The final drive was geared to the moon and I replaced the torsion bars with ones from Calmini along with 31 x 10.5 tires on eight inch wide rims.

I also equipped it with my own tow package along with a transmission cooler.

At the rear I used shackles and spring helpers for a total lift of around 1.5" all around.

That thing would go pretty much any where you pointed it.

I rebuilt the top end after the warranty was up and passed it along to my son who no doubt did unspeakable things to it.

Great SUV for sure!

OP
OP
D

duh09

Legend
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the kind words guys. The truck was def capable offroad, always felt like it didn't have enough flex though. I thought it was a clunker when we first got it but I really got attached to it. Especially when lined up next to the other farm truck- a Suzuki Samurai.

Anyways, got my wheels today and cleaned them up a little. They're so wide, it's hard to really express how ridiculous they are. I'm beyond excited.
10296929_1508060532749167_1678627429_n.jpg

Excuse the crap iPhone photos. I'll get the DSLR out once it's actually running and closer to done and do a proper shoot.

rkramer19

Reaction score
-The stock bumpers were trimmed by the previous because they did meth or something but they look like poo so they're going ASAP.

This litterally made me spit my drink out as I was reading.

this looks like a superfun build. Reminds me of my old crapbox blazer that had no 3rd gear. I will be following this. And those wheels and tires are nuts. Have fun with it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdude138

Members online