‘97 Cobra Restomod

01yellercobra

Reaction score
Most people take non-cobras ad try to make them look like cobras, but your gonna take a real cobra and dress it like a sixxer?!?!

Oh the SVT die hards are gonna lose their shit over this!!!!!!!! [emoji1787]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Can't say I'm thrilled with it. But it's his car and his money. I'm going to guess selling it won't ever be in the plan as I don't know anyone that would buy a Cobra made to look like a base model.

That being said it's too bad you're not closer. My son would love the Cobra parts for his car.

OP
OP
Makoto

Makoto

Reaction score
Can't say I'm thrilled with it. But it's his car and his money. I'm going to guess selling it won't ever be in the plan as I don't know anyone that would buy a Cobra made to look like a base model.

So I'm not 100% on that but I am close to that. The cobra bumper just doesn't flow as well and the previous owners already destroyed the value of the car as much as you can while keeping a clean chassis. Hack wiring, mismatched gauges, MECHANICAL GAUGES ON THE INTERIOR, half assed repaint, poorly installed subframe connectors (welded to the car fine but no protective coating) etc etc.

I didn't want a cobra because I'm not a fan of what they look like but i DO love the engine but I've got plenty of time to figure out what I want to do since I have to get this IRS complete, installed, rebuild the engine, and get that thing in before I have to make any body decisions.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
There’s lots of options when it comes to the body. As you said, it’s already been hacked up so there’s that.

And let’s be honest, what’s the real difference between a cobra, a gt, and a v6?!?!

The motors and a few minor other details. Otherwise they’re the same body, same interior, and same ford branding.

You got a great deal on the car, it’s yours and that’s all that matters.

The 2jz’s, the viper v10’s, the sbc’s, and the dsm motors have all been done before so really it’s not like your gonna find much that hasn’t been done to these cars. Do what you do and enjoy!!!!

Now get at it!!!! We need updates!!!!!! :)

OP
OP
Makoto

Makoto

Reaction score
Word up. Yesterday I pulled the old rear and a guy is coming to buy it (along with the seats and hood) which not only gets me more floor space but should cover most of the engine reassembly cost.

Today I'm dropping the tank and getting these rear brackets up in the cobra for the new rear. I'll need to drop it once more to do the bushings so I'm not worrying about refinishing the upper control arms yet.

axleswap.jpg

rearcompare.jpg

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
What are you doing to the upper control arms???

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Are we talking about the rears?? You don’t use them with the irs. That’s why I’m curious what he’s doing with them. Lol

01yellercobra

Reaction score
I think he's talking about the upper control arms for the IRS. I've seen them polished and they look good. I'd hate to have to keep up on them though. If I ever have mine pulled out again I might get the control arms powder coated. Easier to keep them clean that way.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
That IRS is a trophy! How you gonna tolerate hiding a trophy under a dirty car? Any how, i like how this thread is going

OP
OP
Makoto

Makoto

Reaction score
Yesterday I got the IRS assembly in. Its coming back out eventually for 3 things.

1. the brake line mod
2. vertical bolts in rear brackets
3. paint rear brackets
4. paint upper control arms
5. all the bushings

why? cause i've been building this thing for months, wanted to see it in the car, and wanted the floor space back. Dropping it isn't hard on the lift. Pretty sure I can do 2 and 3 with it still in the car.

anyhow.. pics!

irs5.jpg irs4.jpg irs3.jpg irs2.jpg irsinstalled1.jpg

OP
OP
Makoto

Makoto

Reaction score
okay so just so everyone knows, the vertical bolts are the hardest part of this swap. I haven't done the brake lines yet but they CAN'T be as difficult as boring holes in this frame.

The instructions on SVTperformance are also incorrect on one point: you should be using 2" bolts for the rear as 4" bolts are too long (you aren't going all the way through the rail). I found some on a moddedmustangs forum but I won't link it because i think they have malware on their site, so buyer beware.

rearSFbrackets.jpg

Here's what you have to do:

1. drill the 2 holes UP into the frame rail on each side using the bracket as a template
2. tack weld 2 nuts for 2 bolts to a bracket that you need to get inside the frame rail
3. bore hole in side of framerail allowing you to get this bracket inside of it.

so you gotta not only get this thing inside the rail but you also have to get it to stay in place.

How?

Rope.

4. Feed a rope through the hole in through the rear most hole and tie a knot with about a foot of extra rope hanging out.
5. start the front bolt CAREFULLY. is you got the hole and everything right this should be kinda tricky but no big deal
6. after the front one is sufficiently started pull the rope out and start the rear.
7. now do the top bolts.
8. now tighten everything up to spec.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
your not going to clean up and undercoat the car before you install it? I mean look how bad the transition is from the rear end to the bottom of the car you gotta do something about that :)

ForcFed93

Reaction score
okay so just so everyone knows, the vertical bolts are the hardest part of this swap. I haven't done the brake lines yet but they CAN'T be as difficult as boring holes in this frame.

Brake lines weren't too difficult, but it wasn't super easy either (granted, I did it on my back under the car with the IRS mostly installed). As far as the vertical bolts, I did not perform that option. Instead, I welded the bracket to the frame rail up front and only used the rear bolt. Has held up well for me.

OP
OP
Makoto

Makoto

Reaction score
your not going to clean up and undercoat the car before you install it? I mean look how bad the transition is from the rear end to the bottom of the car you gotta do something about that :)

Man I would love to have it show car shiny under there but all I really care about is structural integrity and rust prevention. I'll clean it up a lot but it definitely won't be super pimp. especially since I'm wanting to do some kind of belly pan and diffuser.

OP
OP
Makoto

Makoto

Reaction score
Just so you guys know, this is what 17x10.5 (+24) wheels with 315's look like with an IRS under an SN95. basically perfect fitment.

fitment.jpg

the great stripping has begun!
stripped1.jpg stripped2.jpg
So before I do anything with the engine I have to get its home ready. That means shaving, tucking, and just making the bay look rad. I have a couple more things to pull but i'm pretty close to starting that process. the core support will get shaved and it'll get gas struts for the hood.

bay2.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online