‘97 Cobra Restomod

OP
OP
Makoto

Makoto

Reaction score
mistakes were made but the black is off this side and she's primed. so far no hint of any collisions, so that's cool.

primetime.jpg

it should have a nice sheen to it but this will all be block sanded anyhow so no biggy. i can finally see some of the imperfections which need to be addressed (impossible when its just bare metal or covered with thick paint).

primetime2.jpg

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
its getting there. Looks like your hood had the recall modification done on it judging by the two large holes at the front. They had an issue with some of the top/bottom layers separating and the top flying off

OP
OP
Makoto

Makoto

Reaction score
that is a little more difficult than you would think. There are 3 different subtle curves going on there and if they are not close it looks way off.

yeah, i need to do a bit more to get the top edge perfect. the bumper was from a red V6 and it had some scrapes that needed attention as well.

here's how i did it. most of it was filled in with material of the same type aluminum riveted in place. then i used isopon plastic bumper filler to fill in gaps and slowly build up the shape. i've tossed it around and whacked it a bit and it seems sturdy as hell. we'll see if it holds up. if this gives me problems i'll try again but with an ABS bumper and maybe another approach.

b3-1024x768.jpg

b4-1024x768.jpg

b6-1024x768.jpg

OP
OP
Makoto

Makoto

Reaction score
Did you check the oil cooler gasket?

the car currently doesn't have an oil cooler but i did check the filler neck bolts and they were tight and torqued to spec. I use blue loctite on them just to be sure. the gasket was new as well.

its a bummer but i've had noise from the valvetrain on this engine from day 1 so while disappointing its not shocking. now we HAVE to get answers.

OP
OP
Makoto

Makoto

Reaction score
Okay so i think i solved the water mystery but apparently that was the least of my worries. the engine dude said the block needs new pistons even though I told him to check everything and only greenlight what was good. instead of arguing with him about what i said a year ago I called a local shop i've dealt with before to discover an unmolested teksid short block.

So he's digging that out of a container so I can hopefully get this motor back together and in the car.

Meanwhile, I'm doing body work.

BTW, since the forum I was spending most of my time on is apparently run by complete dickbag hypocrites I'll be updating this thread more frequently in the future but the most up to date stuff can be found on my website www.thedouglasjones.com

first up, the exhaust fan. i decided to paint the car in the shop so this little 3300cfm fan will suck out the bad stuff. next it gets a faceplate to house a filter.
exhaust1.jpg exhaust2.jpg exhaust3.jpg
see that pencil line? how it doesn't follow the edge? that's the outline of the taillight.

prob1.jpg

notice those one is different.

prob2.jpg

sliced the metal and used a ratchet strap to suck the corner in to match the other side. tacked it... then its gotta get filled.

prob3.jpg

ready for bondo.

prob4.jpg prob5.jpg prob6.jpg prob7.jpg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alida81

Members online

No members online now.