‘97 Cobra Restomod

OP
OP
Makoto

Makoto

Reaction score
Is it a square setup?

as much as i want it the rear looks best with wider tires.

its starting to look really good. I can't help but think it needs a pinstripe or some little graphic/detail/idunno...

Now that your this far into it, do you think you will paint a car ever again? It was about this time I was thinking F-THIS I am paying next time....

i'm going to be looking into color pallets for stripes. something similar to the italian or german style for the top. like a single or two thin stripes which come to a point.

uhm, well, the paintjob wouldn't be a problem if i could get my stinkin environment clean. if i had a bigger shop with a clean space it would be easy but i think i'll stick to just doing smaller stuff from now on :D

it definitely makes you appreciate what goes into a good paint job. i had to attempt it and we aren't out of the woods yet.

OP
OP
Makoto

Makoto

Reaction score
safety isn't first but its gotta be somewhere on the list. new seatbelts. if you get these the belts bolt right up but the buckles are too long. either use your stock buckles or do like i did and cut the plastic sleeve 2" from the bottom so it can just use the seat bolt as a mounting point.

belts1.jpgbelts2.jpg

joemomma

Reaction score
I noticed you're running an aftermarket steering wheel...what did you do about the airbag light/buzzer? Did you remove the box under the dash?

OP
OP
Makoto

Makoto

Reaction score
I noticed you're running an aftermarket steering wheel...what did you do about the airbag light/buzzer? Did you remove the box under the dash?
i ripped it all out. the flasher relay started acting insane about that time, not sure if that had anything to do with it. car runs fine tho.

OP
OP
Makoto

Makoto

Reaction score
while the body still needs a respray i'm moving onward and upward. wetsanding the rear bumper to hopefully avoid any bondo work. so far so good. Since the roof is fine now my idea is to go ahead and paint the smaller parts and if those go well i'll do the big job knowing the kinks have been worked out.
rearbumper1.jpgrearbumper2.jpgrearbumper3.jpg

OP
OP
Makoto

Makoto

Reaction score
sure is nice to be able to make a mess without filling the car with dust. starting on getting this hood ready to get cut in.
this is just a highly modified stock V6 hood. the cutouts are to clear the strut tower brace an fuel pressure regulator. the other holes allow for heat to escape.

mess1.jpghoodbelly1.jpg

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
making more/bigger holes might help the heat escape while its standing still but when its moving it used the venturi effect to suck air out and it might hurt that.

OP
OP
Makoto

Makoto

Reaction score
maybe. the two side vents are just the stock holes made bigger and directly connected to the engine bay. the plan is to add belly pans to the car eventually as well.

OP
OP
Makoto

Makoto

Reaction score
the underside of the hood did double duty as a test panel for the new setup. the new gun is a lvlp unit that is miles beyond my other cheapy ones.
it didn't use that much material unlike the other ones and it laid down pretty nicely. so tomorrow this thing can go back on the car and it'll be fairly protected if rain comes and its parked outside the garage.

also, we can wetsand EVERYTHING!

hoodbelly.jpg

Attachments

• hoodtop.jpg
    hoodtop.jpg
    184.3 KB · Views: 2

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
its hard to tell the gap when your not showing it from the top. Now you can align the height differences your showing with some washers or the correct fender shims. Harbor freight sells a kit

OP
OP
Makoto

Makoto

Reaction score
its hard to tell the gap when your not showing it from the top. Now you can align the height differences your showing with some washers or the correct fender shims. Harbor freight sells a kit

door/fender gap.

OP
OP
Makoto

Makoto

Reaction score
the wall is too close to get a side shot but i wanted to post updates anyhow. getting her ready for that final round of body work. what im concerned with is the gap where the fender meets the door is perfect but its wider than where the door closes (at the rear fender). I'm thinking of shifting the whole front end back about half a mil to satiate my anal retentive mind.
c0.jpgc1.jpgc2.jpgc3.jpg

joemomma

Reaction score
If you think it will bug you later, go ahead and do it. Sounds like you are like me, and it would bug me if I thought it was off. But with that said, I think it looks good! Like my dad always says - "You can't see it from my house". Honestly, I think it looks good. It really makes me want to tackle mine especially since the latest spoiler fiasco, but I don't have the skill or the patience to do a whole car.

OP
OP
Makoto

Makoto

Reaction score
you're right. i have to at least attempt to make it better. its about 1mm wider in the front then the rear. the fenders are bolted to the header panel and bumper now so in theory i should be able to just loosen the fender bolts and shove them both rearward on to some paint stir sticks.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
to check if gaps are even get a piece of cardboard and run it down between them. If its grabbing on one side and sliding easily on the other you have your answer.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online