JDFs build thread

OP
OP
Milehigh JDF

Milehigh JDF

Reaction score
Alright long time no update, unfortunately I don't have good news. So I'll catch you guys up on what's been going on lately. The wing came off again for about a month and looked pretty dang sexy.
6acd93d7650f1401dbb1d8ed06b25715.jpg

It's back on again, but thats more because I don't want to deal with snow potentially getting in the trunk. Did a restoration on the third brake light bulb and it came out pretty good.
73aab5a500c78baed487d14a02fd030b.jpg
3e1f3e248b4d344b6c969499ad3722ae.jpg

At the same time I also swapped out the mid-pipe so that I can get my emissions done. That didn't go as planned because I stripped out some nuts on the studs again, so it's got some bolts holding it in temporarily.
08b7ba0b6f7d5583d537989d3f56cead.jpg

My catback is hitting the chassis due to the owner of the Cobra that I got my IRS from deciding to have the catback welded together without any slip joints. So it rattles like crazy at idle and just bugs the crap out of me. I went to get it my emissions test done and failed miserably. My CO readings are 32 and the max is 15, meaning that I have a lot of unburnt fuel exiting the exhaust.
514662a9f503bec7a409810c722672b0.jpg

First thing I did was send an email to Bama for a stock tune with the corrections for my gears and tires. Then I pulled my plugs and took a look at them. Cyl. 6 was really dirty and you could see fuel sitting on top of the piston.
8ed75df66e0e4ed03d87edbabab933d6.jpg

That led to me doing a compression test, the results are:
Cyl. 1: 150
Cyl. 2: 150
Cyl. 3: 160
Cyl. 4: 170
Cyl. 5: 125
Cyl. 6: 0
Cyl. 7: 150
Cyl. 8: 150
That's where I'm currently at now. Later in the week I'm gonna try and get one of my coworkers to check out the cylinder walls with his borescope and we'll see if it's the pistons/walls or something with the head/valves. Once we figure that out I'll decide what to do with the car. Selling it is an option due to lack of funds at the moment, but if the repair isn't too expensive then I'll try to do that. My registration doesn't expire until the end of February so I've got a little bit of time. I'll update this for you guys as I go.

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
That stinks to hear about your compression issue, hopefully you get it all sorted out man

03DSGGT

SN95 Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bummer about the engine, hopefully you can get it fixed and keep the car, which looks great BTW....

OP
OP
Milehigh JDF

Milehigh JDF

Reaction score
That stinks to hear about your compression issue, hopefully you get it all sorted out man
Yeah I'm hoping it isn't too bad. Some of the techs I work with think it may just be my helicoil causing the issue.
Bummer about the engine, hopefully you can get it fixed and keep the car, which looks great BTW....
Thanks! I'd really like to keep it if possible

OP
OP
Milehigh JDF

Milehigh JDF

Reaction score
Well I got a Borescope on it today, no signs of damage to the pistons are cylinder walls. Gonna try and install new heads and see where that gets me. Now I just need to decide what heads I wanna do.

OP
OP
Milehigh JDF

Milehigh JDF

Reaction score
I really want to do that, but I just don't have the money for a set of those unfortunately

punched281

Reaction score
You going to do new rings and bearings for it?

I have heard that patriot stepped their game up a little bit. But no one really makes a set of heads for these 2v's. Trickflows are sweet but sooo expensive.

OP
OP
Milehigh JDF

Milehigh JDF

Reaction score
You going to do new rings and bearings for it?

I have heard that patriot stepped their game up a little bit. But no one really makes a set of heads for these 2v's. Trickflows are sweet but sooo expensive.
It's looking like I may have just messed up something in the head so I'm gonna start with those. A coworker of mine has a set of Windsor heads for $200. I'm gonna start with those and if that doesn't fix it then I'm gonna try and find a NPI shortblock
Trust me.... With student loans, I understand the funding issue.... Otherwise I'd have them
Thankfully I don't have any debt but I don't wanna go into debt to afford these heads either

punched281

Reaction score
It's looking like I may have just messed up something in the head so I'm gonna start with those. A coworker of mine has a set of Windsor heads for $200. I'm gonna start with those and if that doesn't fix it then I'm gonna try and find a NPI shortblock

Thankfully I don't have any debt but I don't wanna go into debt to afford these heads either

So what is the update? It is almost cruising season again!

OP
OP
Milehigh JDF

Milehigh JDF

Reaction score
Yeah it sucked to watch it leave but I'm looking forward to getting into a better starting platform

OP
OP
Milehigh JDF

Milehigh JDF

Reaction score
Yeah they're coming down in price finally. I've been seeing terminators with 80k on the clock going in the 16-17 range

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alida81

Members online