Jet cars??

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
If any of you ever have a jet car event at your track, I strongly recommend going! Went last night and it was absolutely incredible.

7,000 pound Kenworth semi went 7 seconds at over 200!

One car broke the track record at 287 mph running a 5.5.

Seeing the cars go by was just unreal, you could feel them flying past. A few seconds after they went a big heat wave would hit you!

At the starting line they do a big flame show, then they pop the after-burners over and over, and let off the brakes and hold the brakes. From what I could see, this is how they warm up the tires instead of a normal burnout. When doing that, you can hear it many miles away. I called my house to see if they could hear it and they could (I'd say about 8 miles out)

If anyone is interested in seeing video I can throw some up!

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Nhra nationals in Indianapolis use to do Friday night lights. They'd line all the dragsters down the track and they'd have the motors revved so you can see the flames from the headers then they'd bring out the jet cars and run them.

It's definitely a site to be seen

This message courtesy of crapatalk!

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I grew up a few miles from Atco Raceway (NJ) and we would ride our bikes there on weekends for the big events. Jet cars were always amazing to watch and the noise is just insane.

OP
OP
g36 monkey

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Alright, since you guys seemed really excited heres a few videos. I am not sure how well they turned out on the comp. The one is just an old truck that does a wheely the entire way down the track.

Also included is a pic of the wall at the track after the semi went to town!

RedTwilight

Reaction score
If any of you ever have a jet car event at your track, I strongly recommend going! Went last night and it was absolutely incredible.

Seeing the cars go by was just unreal, you could feel them flying past. A few seconds after they went a big heat wave would hit you!

At the starting line they do a big flame show, then they pop the after-burners over and over, and let off the brakes and hold the brakes. From what I could see, this is how they warm up the tires instead of a normal burnout. When doing that, you can hear it many miles away. I called my house to see if they could hear it and they could (I'd say about 8 miles out)

If anyone is interested in seeing video I can throw some up!

Actually they are not warming the tires up at all. The cars are propelled forward with the thrust from the turbine engines. The wheels aren't actually driving the cars.

The local track has 2 jet cars that come up for the annual Easter race each year. This past year the owner of the track was going to run one of them in his blown pro-mod. But after his burn out one of the oil lines popped off.

OP
OP
g36 monkey

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Actually they are not warming the tires up at all. The cars are propelled forward with the thrust from the turbine engines. The wheels aren't actually driving the cars.

The local track has 2 jet cars that come up for the annual Easter race each year. This past year the owner of the track was going to run one of them in his blown pro-mod. But after his burn out one of the oil lines popped off.

I guess it's odd that they would do it enough to slide a bit at a time to get the whole tire. Maybe to prevent it from being square?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I have been lucky enough to see a couple of them. I remember a truck called shockwave that was at an air show which was cool to see him go longer then a 1/4 mile. Another time at an NHRA even they had two run at the same time. I need to find the pic of it to really give the full idea of how cool it was but imagine two large blurry streaks taking up 2/3 of the pic from the flames coming out since it was a night race.

Nirwan

Reaction score
Jet cars are awesome ! If a Car meet on a track in Holland the have them dragracing and doing shows.

Famous from Holland we have Indian Pete. He drives a Peterbilt Truck with 2 Phantom F4 turbines total of 12000 HP

m1nze4kare50.jpg

Also a famous one from Holland is Dragon Hunter:

jetcar_Habermann-1170x780_imagick.jpg

The experience is mindblowing, the heat and sound are intense. Love it.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
he would need 2 of them to get that bumper moving. It probably weighs more then our cars

full of fat chics on the way back from a buffet....

RedTwilight

Reaction score
I have been lucky enough to see a couple of them. I remember a truck called shockwave that was at an air show which was cool to see him go longer then a 1/4 mile. Another time at an NHRA even they had two run at the same time. I need to find the pic of it to really give the full idea of how cool it was but imagine two large blurry streaks taking up 2/3 of the pic from the flames coming out since it was a night race.

I remember seeing shockwave at one of the airshows also. I believe it was the same guy that had the jet port-o-potty. It's funny to see him rocking it side to side while cruising in front of the crowd.

There is also a jet fire truck that has been to a few of the airshows around here.

RedTwilight

Reaction score
I guess it's odd that they would do it enough to slide a bit at a time to get the whole tire. Maybe to prevent it from being square?

They're pretty much really just doing it for show as they are bumping the cars forward into the lights a little at a time. I may also help clear the injectors a little bit to get every last ounce of performance from it. Sorta like clearing the carbs out so they don't stumble off the line.

PinkieT

Reaction score
Summit Raceway Park in Norwalk, OH does a Night Under Fire every year featuring the jet cars and trucks. Yep, you can feel the heat, and the rumble will make your guts shake!

Tony

Legend
Reaction score
i went to a stylin' trucks event back in 05 where they had a jet semi truck i guess you would call it lol. all he did was fire it up and make some crazy noise with it shooting flames waaaaaaay behind it...that alone was awesome, bet it would be intense to see them fly down a track!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser

Members online