JLT CAI and Strut Tower Bar Possible???

Discussion in '96-04 - 2V Specific' started by chris91, Sep 7, 2016.

1. chris91

chris91 Well-Known Member

Okay so I bought a BBK STB a while back. Just added a JLT CAI too. Well I go out to install the BBK and there's no way it'll fit. Intake is too big. I have the opportunity to buy a MM STB for cheap but I fear it won't fit either. Anyone else have any experience with this?

2. ttocs

ttocs Legend

3. PinkieT

PinkieT Well-Known Member

I put a cheap American Muscle STB on my wife's 98 GT with the AM CAI and it cleared. Hard to tell what your car's issues are. I have a spare factory GT brace and a factory Cobra brace I don't need. Maybe the Cobra brace would give you the clearance... I get down to the Dayton area on business every so often and if interested maybe we can meet up. PM me if you would like to try that.

4. 96Mystic1189

96Mystic1189 Member

I have a factory STB with a JLT intake. However, I have the newest variation of the intake and it is only like 3 months old. It fits under the STB but it does touch it lightly. When I put the C&L plenum/ 75 MM TB on the car, I had to push down on it with my whole body to get the bolts in the STB. It sounds bad but the only part that flexed is the rubber coupling between the TB and CAI.

5. chris91

Nothing wrong with my car.... The JLT is MUCH larger than any other intake. If the BBK strut tower bar won't fit neither stock one will but thanks for the offer.

6. chris91

My intake is brand new as well as the bar. There's no way it'll fit without cutting a notch in the tubing. Maybe my Dragon plenum makes it sit higher. Are you talking about your cobra or gt?

7. 96Mystic1189

96Mystic1189 Member

On my GT. I noticed the stock plenum and tb point downward slightly. The C&L sits higher up so technically mine does not clear, it took all i had to force the bar on. I just have to have it because it stops the convertible from feeling like a wet noodle.

8. Mustanger

Mustanger Well-Known Member

Have you added full length subframes welded in to your convertible? Will the side braces fit on a vert?

9. chris91

I weigh 275lbs, there was no forcing it on without breaking the intake.

10. g36 monkey

g36 monkey Moderator Staff SN95 Supporter

As I recall, the BBK is the most "clearance" oriented STB on the market, no?

11. ttocs

ttocs Legend

agreed bbk was supposed to clear more of them then others.

Anyone ever made their own? I mean it doesn't seem to bad and if I can find someone with a tubing bender I am tempted to try my own. I want to make something smoother looking then what is out though, try to make it flow/look good somehow.