Joe's '94GT money pit

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I did mine on a cool night so I would not bug the rest of the house. It was about 4 hours of solid work that had me sweating and tired the next day.

OP
OP
joemomma

joemomma

Reaction score
Seems my slow oil leak is getting worse. I haven't had a chance (or a way honestly) to get under it and see what's up. I think I may in fact have two, one front and one rear. I'll worry about that after it gets back from the body shop. I figure another couple of weeks and it'll be going in.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Seems my slow oil leak is getting worse. I haven't had a chance (or a way honestly) to get under it and see what's up. I think I may in fact have two, one front and one rear. I'll worry about that after it gets back from the body shop. I figure another couple of weeks and it'll be going in.
I am hoping I fixed my leak last night after taking the top of the motor apart 3 different times to find 3 different leaks.

OP
OP
joemomma

joemomma

Reaction score
Being in the apartment now I don't have any of my tools or a way to get under the car and see what's going on. I'll worry about it this spring once the house is done. It's going to be in the body shop for the better part of the winter anyway.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Being in the apartment now I don't have any of my tools or a way to get under the car and see what's going on. I'll worry about it this spring once the house is done. It's going to be in the body shop for the better part of the winter anyway.
ya know I started from the bottom this time to trace it and I realize that was my mistake. From the bottom of the car I could see that it was coming from up on the pass side and when I ran my hand up further than I could see(while on jack stands) I could feel oil at the back of the valve cover area. I assumed that it must be the valve cover gasket as I didn't look any further up the motor and tore the top down to replace them. The next day I still had the leak and this time from the side of the car I ran my hand along the back of the heads and realized the oil went up further and appeared to be coming out of the rear/lower intake gasket/china wall. Removing the lower seems to have confirmed it(I have not driven it yet to test it going out in an hour) but next time I am checking for an oil leak I will start from the top and work my way down.

OP
OP
joemomma

joemomma

Reaction score
I'll have a peek next time I can get to it in the daylight. Hopefully this weekend.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
do ya have a date it will be finished by, a date you hope it will be finished by, or is your friend going to do it when he gets time between jobs = never?

OP
OP
joemomma

joemomma

Reaction score
No dates yet, we'll discuss that when I drop it off. I'm still debating on whether or not to have them do the headlight/foglight install or it I'll just do it myself after I get it back. Might as have them do it while they have it all apart, I think.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Don't make the mistake of telling them your in no rush as it can be the kiss of death in the automotive world I have found. The fog light thing can be a little confusing if your on your back with the car on jack stands.

OP
OP
joemomma

joemomma

Reaction score
Yeah I've heard this before. Granted, the longer it takes the closer I'll be to having a garage for it again, but I'd still like to have it available to drive some on nice days. Winter isn't all bad here. I suppose another plus to them doing the lights would be me not being on the ground on my back lol, and also potentially jacking up the new paint.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
the biggest problem with the fog lights is they mount to the bash bar under the bumper cover and they do it at the factory before the bumper cover is on. Once the cover is on its just a little harder to see what you have and how they hang down

OP
OP
joemomma

joemomma

Reaction score
OK, that makes sense. The only reason I had thought that I might want to do it myself was I have a set of Envoy fogs and I thought about doing that mod before install, but I can always do that later.

OP
OP
joemomma

joemomma

Reaction score
Car has been dropped off with the painter! Unfortunately, he has the 'rona so won't be getting started as soon as expected. Hopefully he only has a mild case (he's my age) and it doesn't set him back too long. He wanted it this weekend so it could dry out as much as possible before he gets started on it, so it works out anyway.

OP
OP
joemomma

joemomma

Reaction score
Taking the hood and Cobra bumper cover over after work today. He's got all the body work done and just about everything primed. He said it didn't need much in the way of actual body work, it was really straight. Just had a "shitty paint job" on it lol from the PO. He also cussed the spoiler installation, said the threaded inserts broke and had to be cut off. Said he would install new ones and get them in there right.

07GtS197

Reaction score
Seems like he’s taking care of you, not many that’ll do that nowadays. I can’t wait to see the end result.

OP
OP
joemomma

joemomma

Reaction score
Stopped by yesterday and snapped a few quick photos while I dropped the hood and bumper off. He's got the bodywork done and primed. He had to take the rear bumper cover down to the plastic - it was spiderwebbed up bad from where it had been hit (prior to me backing in to it, mind you). We're going to spray the side scoop mesh as well - where it was previously painted there's no way to really clean that up. I can always replace with new later if I decide to. Same with the door lock cylinders (except where the key actually goes in). As for the tails, he's going to do the same - just bring the tape line in a little closer to clean it up. No way to really fix the bad tape from before without getting new tails. i don't want to drop the coin on a set of new tails, the current ones aren't hurt.

He's still got more sanding to do on the rest of the car and now has the new hood and front bumper to work on. I'm trying to find a replacement hood liner/insulator. He said that would save him a ton of work (and money for me) if we could find something to keep him from having to clean up the fiberglass so much. He'll still paint it, but it won't have to be glass smooth this way. I just need to find something that will work with the aftermarket hood. I thought maybe one of the Dynamat hood kits? There's some kits on CJPP as well. New fogs and headlights are with him too when the time comes.

Rear bumper cover
HLPbvOZ.jpg

Side
BXTb13f.jpg

Front, you can see where he took a "elbow divot" out of the fender, probably from me leaning on the car working on it
NZ1WeSg.jpg

Other side, cleaning up where the door moulding was
fHvo9Dl.jpg

The old hood is still on there, I'm guessing to help keep dust/spray out of the engine bay.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rvseverson