Joe's '94GT money pit

OP
OP
joemomma

joemomma

Reaction score
Talked to my painter today, he said he hoped to get started painting tomorrow. He said the taillights are going to be fine - I had considered buying new since the prior painter did a shit job with the tape lines. He's going to clean the tape lines up and hit them with clear as well...said they'll look better than new. Which is fine by me, as new ones from LMR are $250. He also said the hood slicked up real nice, but I'm still going to put some Dynamat or something on the flat spots on the underside.

OP
OP
joemomma

joemomma

Reaction score
Paint is done! Just waiting on wet sand and buff then I can pick it up. He still has to get the front bumper, lights, and spoiler on but that's easy stuff. He said it came out great, and it looks like it from what I can see of these two pictures before he sands/buffs.

Looks pretty slick:
Vto7oDf.jpg
5lV4a49.jpg

I'll try to get some nice shots once I pick it up after wet sanding and buffing. I'm debating on whether or not I want to get it ceramic coated. Thoughts?

He also said the hood came out great, and won't need any treatment underneath. I ordered some new inserts for the hood vents as they are missing. Hopefully the ones from LMR fit this hood, I don't see why they wouldn't. I also threw some new door panel pulls as mine are pretty rough.

badass98svt

Reaction score
Looks great, and yes I would definitely get it ceramic coated

OP
OP
joemomma

joemomma

Reaction score
Picked the car up Thursday night. I know you hear it all the time, but pics really don't do it justice. It's probably the "slickest" paint I've ever felt. It looks like a completely different car! Still waiting to get the inserts in the hood, but otherwise we're there.

WdrHQuW.jpg
IdOAO6S.jpg
sK2cUBH.jpg
pSP91lI.jpg
GLChvid.jpg
yX4EoRf.jpg

It looks amazing with the Cobra hood and bumper. I think I need to adjust the headlights still, it was twilight but it looked like they were off. Once it gets nice out, I'll get some outdoor shots.

OP
OP
joemomma

joemomma

Reaction score
So trying to get classic car insurance on it. Requested $15k coverage (because that's what my spreadsheet tells me I've spent on it lol) and now the underwriters want an appraisal. WTF? How do you even get a car appraised? It's not like I'm asking for Mecum Auction prices, just enough to cover my investment. This is after I've sent them all the requested pictures.

OP
OP
joemomma

joemomma

Reaction score
It's through my local agent. They apparently offer it through Auto Owners. I'm not opposed to going outside of my local agent.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I went with hagerty and I think I sent in a list of parts and some pics but mine is insured for more than that and there was no appraisal. Grundy was cheaper, just seemed a little too cheap for what I was wanting and I do not want to find out later that I saved $50 a year to find out that the service after the payment is BS.

OP
OP
joemomma

joemomma

Reaction score
I got a quote from Hagerty for $412/year. Turns out my local agent can do Hagerty as well. It was $500 through them but that was with no deductible. I think my Hagerty quote was with $1000 deductible. I'll probably just run it through my agent to keep it simple.

07GtS197

Reaction score
Geez you guys are so lucky. Insurance in Florida is crazy expensive compared to other states.

OP
OP
joemomma

joemomma

Reaction score
I live in a pretty small town. Nothing much ever happens here lol. I'm sure it would be MUCH higher in like Nashville or Memphis.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I have lived in southern indiana for most of my life, cost of living is low here. I remember celebrating that insurance drop at 25 and then 5 months later I moved to phoenix. I remember calling the first insurance agent and go the quote and it was 2x what it was before the 25 yr drop. That was definitely a subj in the "PRO" column when I moved back to indiana. I think I am paying a little less than $350 a year now on it but I am also 46.

07GtS197

Reaction score
Geez, I pay about 80 bucks a month just for my 02 gt and I have 3 other cars on the policy… but it does help that I have multiple cars lol.

Snorky

Reaction score
I feel the pain, NJ auto insurance is brutal. Car came out beautiful. Semi surprised he didnt paint the sail panels off the car. Came out like glass though! :-D better than any of the paint work i had donee to my car

OP
OP
joemomma

joemomma

Reaction score
Thanks man! We talked about pulling glass and that kind of stuff, but the budget just didn't allow it. It would have quickly gone from a $5k job to $10k and I didn't feel it was worth that.

OP
OP
joemomma

joemomma

Reaction score
Ordered some new inserts for the side scoops. They got painted (we discussed pulling them, but I didn't figure it would matter) and now I've decided I'd like them black. They weren't too hard to find, I found them on Tasca and they said they were available. Hopefully the site was correct and they're on the way soon. It was less than $30 shipped for both sides. I just have to figure out how to remove the side scoops without damaging anything.

badass98svt

Reaction score
They remove from inside the car. You need to remove the interior trim piece and then they are accessible.

Edit: Keep in mind the 94-95 had actual functional scoops/grills. The 96-98 had a non functional scoop and grill

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online