Joe's '94GT money pit

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
While it would not be my preferred way to attach the seat to the frame on occasions like this when I didn't have the space I might go with rivits and epoxy/jb weld. I have never done anything like a seat before but when I have done this it has not failed me.

OP
OP
joemomma

joemomma

Reaction score
I figured out a way to get the tracks to "stop" - I basically ran a nut/bolt at each end to hold the factory track in place, only allowing movement from the new seat bracket. It works, for the most part. There's still a tiny bit of slop in the factory track, but that is from where I pulled the hard plastic guides off the tracks (didn't know I'd end up needing it). It allows for a little play in the track, but not much. The nut/bolt on each end keeps it pretty secure. I managed to finally get the seat in last night, and drove the car today (after I jumped it off, mind you). Something is loose in my fab work, the front of the seat wants to tilt backwards several degrees, like the front nuts holding the bracket aren't tight. This is just a temporary setup anyway, once the eBay factory manual bracket comes in I'll install it.

OP
OP
joemomma

joemomma

Reaction score
41pfpuz.jpg

m004vwa.jpg

PQTMCs7.jpg

OP
OP
joemomma

joemomma

Reaction score
Thanks man! I'm pleased with them for sure. It's a bit tight getting in and out now (not that it wasn't before as well) but the side bolsters make it a little tighter lol.

OP
OP
joemomma

joemomma

Reaction score
Seat bracket arrived from UPS at lunch, so I'll get to work on that in the morning.

After making an entirely-too-detailed spreadsheet and reading entirely-too-many forum posts and articles, I have decided on the path for the engine upgrade. It kind of puts holes in the "budget" aspect, but I don't want to shoot myself in the foot now for what is to come later. Plus, this will get me in HP range I'm looking for without going full crate motor, and having to wait for an extended period of time.

I'm leaning towards the following:
stock bottom end
TF 11R 190s
Custom cam from Ed Curtis
1.6 RR
Ted Jenkins tune
Supporting fuel mods (injectors, TB, fuel pump)

The 190s will be plenty of head for the eventual stroker build, but shouldn't kill TQ down low from everything I've read, especially with the gears and tune. This should come in around $2500 (before the tune and fuel mods). The Exploder intake will obviously hold me back some, but it is on the shelf already. I can always look to getting the lower ported. I'm thinking this should get me in the 350whp range, give or take.

07GtS197

Reaction score
Good plan and it shouldn’t be too expensive. One nice thing about pushrods are the cheap and plentiful parts.

OP
OP
joemomma

joemomma

Reaction score
Got the new (used) seat bracket mounted up and installed. So much easier than dicking with trying to get something cobbled together. It literally took me less than an hour to have the seat out, old bracket removed, new bracket installed and seat installed. Anyway, live and learn. The adjustment is all the way back, and it could stand to go back just another notch, but I'm not worried about it enough to try and adjust the mounting. I'm a little closer than I'd like, but that will just take some getting used to.

I shampooed the headliner over the weekend after talking about it with my son, who works for a detail shop here in town. He said the headliner will hold a lot of odor (especially if it was a smoker car). The car doesn't smell like a smoke, but it does have a "stale" smell. I guess that's part of it when it's 27 years old. Anyway, the water it pulled out was black as tar. It smelled much better this morning.

I also ordered a set of the LMR floor mats in Opal Gray. Just the plain ones, no logos or anything. They should ship today and be here this week.

OP
OP
joemomma

joemomma

Reaction score
LOL, no worries. I'll get some more pictures this evening. The floormats should be here today.

OP
OP
joemomma

joemomma

Reaction score
Got some updated pics before I waxed:
vwmnz71.jpg
B0lzj5e.jpg
SXtrgYb.jpg
If you look close on the bumper you can see where I backed into it a while back.

Here you can see the new floor mats and seats. Compare that to the dirty-looking factory carpet (that I just shampooed).
Hhb5X4q.jpg
NjfBCIn.jpg

OP
OP
joemomma

joemomma

Reaction score
Your interior is so nice I'm jealous. Looking good as always!
Ha! Thanks man. There's still some minor things that need attention - for example, the door cups or whatever you call them. I've had the doors apart so much I've broken the tabs on both sides, and they're loose. I just haven't wanted to spend $60 or whatever they are for replacements yet.

07GtS197

Reaction score
Ha! Thanks man. There's still some minor things that need attention - for example, the door cups or whatever you call them. I've had the doors apart so much I've broken the tabs on both sides, and they're loose. I just haven't wanted to spend $60 or whatever they are for replacements yet.
Don’t get the cheap ones off of eBay. I took a risk and lost but at least I got my money back. LMR has some, I forget the brand, hopefully they’re similar to factory.

OP
OP
joemomma

joemomma

Reaction score
Picked up the hood and spoiler last night. The hood is fiberglass, and in great shape from what I can tell. All of the mounting studs were present and in good shape. The latch location has seen some use, but I think it should be fine. I'm guessing my factory latch will work with this one? It looks like it has the "catch" on both sides. It is missing the vent screens, but that isn't a big deal. I can pick up a set for fairly cheap from LMR. It will need paint, obviously.
Hood:
FNu4bFp.jpg

ygEO6kL.jpg

Vent:
cBj4hUl.jpg

Latch:
DZNApkY.jpg

Factory hood/latch:
XeNnkiY.jpg

5rZtjid.jpg

Spoiler needs paint, but looks OK from what I can see. The janky parts are underneath and won't be seen. I'll need some new 3M tape and mounting bolts, unless my factory bolts will work.
a1eBVEr.jpg

iLf9oLQ.jpg

i92Y1h7.jpg

Has anyone used the rattlecan factory paint? I'd like to get the spoiler on sooner rather than later if possible. I still need to get a front bumper cover and new headlights/foglights. I won't paint until I have both pieces in hand.

Venompower

Reaction score
Picked up the hood and spoiler last night. The hood is fiberglass, and in great shape from what I can tell. All of the mounting studs were present and in good shape. The latch location has seen some use, but I think it should be fine. I'm guessing my factory latch will work with this one? It looks like it has the "catch" on both sides. It is missing the vent screens, but that isn't a big deal. I can pick up a set for fairly cheap from LMR. It will need paint, obviously.
Hood:
FNu4bFp.jpg

ygEO6kL.jpg

Vent:
cBj4hUl.jpg

Latch:
DZNApkY.jpg

Factory hood/latch:
XeNnkiY.jpg

5rZtjid.jpg

Spoiler needs paint, but looks OK from what I can see. The janky parts are underneath and won't be seen. I'll need some new 3M tape and mounting bolts, unless my factory bolts will work.
a1eBVEr.jpg

iLf9oLQ.jpg

i92Y1h7.jpg

Has anyone used the rattlecan factory paint? I'd like to get the spoiler on sooner rather than later if possible. I still need to get a front bumper cover and new headlights/foglights. I won't paint until I have both pieces in hand.
I'd imagine with a non-complicated color, as long as you are willing to do a bit of sanding you could probably do a pretty decent job with a spoiler. Worse case scenario you have a shop color match and paint it... and you are out a little bit of money for the spray paint and some time.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
FYI that spoiler is not designed to be mounted with only double stick tape. It is supposed to use the factory stud location like the stock spoiler did. IF you do the tape be VERY sure to clean both surfaces well with alcohol and even then with the forces that can be exerted on that I would give it a good yank/pull from time to time to ensure its not coming off, yet. Remember that the s281 will trap water between it and the trunk lid while your driving so its only a matter of time before it breaks down the tape.

If you can get a really good match and you know what your doing I have seen some rattle can jobs that suprise me. This means you need to sand/prep the surface poperly, clean it and then with a good blend job it can be nice but unfortunately most of the jobs I see the color is nowhere near close as a match, they didn't blend it in or even clean the paint before.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99