Joe's '94GT money pit

OP
OP
joemomma

joemomma

Reaction score
Yeah I think so too. I've only seen a couple of other SN95s with the door trim, and I much prefer the look of it without the trim. Still waiting on my painter. The car is at my parents' house currently, and the hood/front bumper are in the storage unit.

OP
OP
joemomma

joemomma

Reaction score
Dropped the new battery in it and moved it out of my parents' way lol. Only got 3 years out of the old battery, which I guess isn't bad with the amount that it sits.

07GtS197

Reaction score
That seems to be about average for batteries nowadays. I started buying motorcraft batteries because of their warranty.

Gregomatic

Reaction score
Man, back in '87 when I was in the Navy, we had this pink fluid that came in glass test tubes (some kind of super military grade electrolyte I ASSume) that you could add to the cells of batteries and it gave them a new life. I still wonder what that stuff was.

NEW EDG

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Man, back in '87 when I was in the Navy, we had this pink fluid that came in glass test tubes (some kind of super military grade electrolyte I ASSume) that you could add to the cells of batteries and it gave them a new life. I still wonder what that stuff was.
Area 51 Juice

OP
OP
joemomma

joemomma

Reaction score
Still waiting in the queue. I sent him a text but haven't heard back.

Gregomatic

Reaction score
I wonder if anyone else has been of this inclination.

While it's still on the bucket list, I have always wanted to buy a aluminum car port, enclose it, ventilate it and turn it into a paint booth.

I've mastered rattle-can, but I could work wonders in a booth with a good setup.

OP
OP
joemomma

joemomma

Reaction score
There's some pretty detailed DIY paint booth videos on YT. One of the Mustang channels did a semi-portable one, but I can't remember who it was. Looked fairly easy. It was 2x4 framing with thick vinyl plastic for the sides. He used cheap box fans with HVAC filters to vent. I've thought about doing it myself, but I don't trust myself enough with the patience good prep work requires to tackle it. Plus, with as expensive as paint is these days, I'd hate to throw that money away.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I wonder if anyone else has been of this inclination.

While it's still on the bucket list, I have always wanted to buy a aluminum car port, enclose it, ventilate it and turn it into a paint booth.

I've mastered rattle-can, but I could work wonders in a booth with a good setup.
I thought it would be cool or maybe a fun learning lesson to paint my car. What I learned is that I do not want to paint another car.....

OP
OP
joemomma

joemomma

Reaction score
Ordered the clear Cobra headlights from LMR during their sale, should be here tomorrow. Not sure when I'll get around to installing them. I thought I might go ahead and install them along with the hood and front bumper cover, but I'll likely just leave that to the body shop when it goes in for paint.

Gregomatic

Reaction score
Plus, with as expensive as paint is these days, I'd hate to throw that money away.
VALID POINT.
A major part of having positive results is proper preparation, but the real magic is in knowing the science behind the paint, proper thinning/mixing, having a good gun/compressor and knowing your equipment. Granted, practice is key in getting good. My friend Bobby Gilyeat swears by starting with cheap paint and a couple old car hoods until your acquainted with your gear.
Don't try to jump in with something fancy where you have to add pearl or metal flake, weighing stuff by milligrams, ect.
It takes a while to master mixing AND doing so in such a way you'll be able to duplicate it at a later date. It's best if you can find someone who doesn't mind mentoring you. But even if you do, don't be surprised if they don't share EVERYTHING with you. Some masters hold their secrets like it's a Holy Grail. (especially if you are wanting them to duplicate an antique color)

I've been an artist since a young child (tempera, oils, acrylic, charcoal, soft lead, and ink/inkwash are my favorites) but working with simple rattle cans can bring about amazing results if you've prepped your piece and have a draft/dust free working area with excellent lighting.
BTW, lighting from at least three different directions is paramount.

I just think there is something very special about the medium of paint that allows you to express yourself.

Gregomatic

Reaction score
Ordered the clear Cobra headlights from LMR during their sale, should be here tomorrow. Not sure when I'll get around to installing them. I thought I might go ahead and install them along with the hood and front bumper cover, but I'll likely just leave that to the body shop when it goes in for paint.
yep yep yep.
I wouldn't worry about installation yet, especially the headlamps.
;)

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I kept a few of my old body panels prior to junking them just so I could do some spray outs to figure it out and I was glad I did. I learned that I needed more pressure than what I had read was recommended just to get it to lay out flat and it took a couple of adjustments to get it right. Honestly by the time you have a compressor that can handle it(my 60 gallon was sweating) the filter/dryer/hose/gun and all the goodies well then you can figure out some way to try and get fresh air in as well. I had 3 box fans moving air out and there were still times that I was hoping that the compressor didn't have any kind of open sparks to it as there was a foggy haze.

Gregomatic

Reaction score
Heh heh heh...BOOM!
Paint mist and wood dust get interesting when introduced to ignition!

I once had a job at EPP (Engineering Plating and Processes) where I ran the electrified zinc plating baths. The foam that would form on top of the solution had to be carefully removed because of the flammable gas in the bubbles. If it got too thick (close to the electrified copper bar that suspends the racks) or if you weren't careful about loading the next parts rack and a spark hit the foam...the WHOLE building knew it. It wasn't extremely dangerous, just blow a bunch of caustic crap everywhere, but it would scare the living tarnation out of the office gals and make 'em pee a little bit.
Not happy campers then.
It was deafening. :D

Gregomatic

Reaction score
Make sure your respirator seals well to your face.
You don't want Lazer Red boogers.
Not that I'd know anything about that personally..
*cough*

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
I thought it would be cool or maybe a fun learning lesson to paint my car. What I learned is that I do not want to paint another car.....
My arms cant handle the prep standards my mind requires.

Gregomatic

Reaction score
Well, you know how our requiring minds are!

On a side note, your arms DO get tired, because once you start, it's game on. And a fully loaded gun (average sized tank) swinging that thing back and forth, keeping correct distance and travel speed...yeah, my arms get tired too especially working over the top. Bobby's booth was great place to learn... and I learned enough that I still haven't invested in my own booth! LOL

And that bucket list aint getting any lighter..

OP
OP
joemomma

joemomma

Reaction score
Talked to my painter, we're close. About two weeks.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Members online