Joe's '94GT money pit

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
for the bottom portion of the seat delete all I did was put some dowels in the same spots that the old pins use to go down and lock in place. It keeps it from moving around but you can still lift it up to get under/hide stuff.

OP
OP
joemomma

joemomma

Reaction score
for the bottom portion of the seat delete all I did was put some dowels in the same spots that the old pins use to go down and lock in place. It keeps it from moving around but you can still lift it up to get under/hide stuff.
Ahh, good thinking! I'll see what I can rig up.

OP
OP
joemomma

joemomma

Reaction score
Carpet and adhesive should be here Thursday, so I hope to be able to finish up this weekend.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
have you ever done carpet upholstery before? This is pretty flat so its no big deal but a lot of people will get something like 3m super 90 and lay it on heavy, slather it on wet and then wonder why it starts to move/peel later. What you need to do is put a good layer on the carpet, then put a good layer on the wood, then you need to wait 5-10 mins till it is tacky to the touch but does not just come off on your finger. At that point the glue has started to adhere to both surfaces and will stick like hell to itself. If you put it on wet and it doesn't have time to set up it will just stick to the carpet more than the wood and peel off

OP
OP
joemomma

joemomma

Reaction score
Yeah, I've done more sub boxes than I can count lol. That is indeed the trick, getting both surfaces tacked up and letting the product do the work. I got 3M 77 on the way, had good results with it before.

OP
OP
joemomma

joemomma

Reaction score
Finally snapped some pics of the rear seat delete last night. I'm not sure what the weird reflection is on the
seat bottom.
tMkfkCM.jpg
bj3WXBJ.jpg
ZrfNCtd.jpg
I ordered some new "Christmas tree" fasteners from Amazon to hold the side plastics in. Someone before me had broken the majority of them at some point, and I managed to break the rest of them trying to get the panels out. I also ordered some Rockford P1 5.25" components to replace the trash NVX that are currently in there. Got a buddy coming in town this weekend so I don't know if I'll have any time to work on it or not.

cobrajeff96

Reaction score
That's one big thing on my list after I'm done with the heavy work, is finishing off the interior to include sound system. Tired of not having tunes in the car.

OP
OP
joemomma

joemomma

Reaction score
I'm going to need to do something - the MDF has absolutely killed my bass from the sub. I was thinking about just cutting a "port" in the middle of the seat back portion and leaving the carpet over it. Either that or I might pick up some grill cloth and make a grill for it somehow.

OP
OP
joemomma

joemomma

Reaction score
Got a piece of ABS from maintenance, I hope to be able to fab something up tonight after my workout. We'll see how I feel lol.

OP
OP
joemomma

joemomma

Reaction score
The stuff from maintenance was quite a bit thinner than the 1/8" piece I ordered from Amazon, I'll just use that. I stopped in at Harbor Freight at lunch to get a hole saw kit, as the tweeter requires a cutout of 1.5" and I don't trust my jigsaw skills that much. I'll try to get some pics tonight if I get a chance to work on it. I'd like to finish up tonight if possible as it is supposed to be decent weather tomorrow and I'd like to drive it.

OP
OP
joemomma

joemomma

Reaction score
Nothing was done overnight. After my workout I was on grill duty for meal prep, so I didn't have any time. Plus I had to play WZ with the squad.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
mdf should not have made any more of an effect on the sound than the back seat did. Are you sure that it is still working, pointing the same direction, ect?

OP
OP
joemomma

joemomma

Reaction score
mdf should not have made any more of an effect on the sound than the back seat did. Are you sure that it is still working, pointing the same direction, ect?
Yes, it's definitely working and in the same orientation, just muted. The sub is facing the front of the car just as before. I'll probably pull it out this weekend and cut a "port" in it of some fashion. I can cover it back with carpet. It's only a couple of bolts, and if I mess it up, I have enough material left over to make another one.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
try flipping it around and facing the rear as it normally sounds better as strange as that might sound. If the carpet is unbacked you could just cut a section out but the rear deck and the space around it leaves plenty of room for air/sound to move.

b1pig

Reaction score
try flipping it around and facing the rear as it normally sounds better as strange as that might sound. If the carpet is unbacked you could just cut a section out but the rear deck and the space around it leaves plenty of room for air/sound to move.
This is true. Facing a rear seat back (foam) will dampen the sound of a sub. Facing it into a hard surface can actually result in further damping. Foam will absorb sound, but can also resonate with the sub to some degree. MDF will not.

I would also spin that box around try it... depending on the shape of the box, even aim the sub upwards. You may need to switch the phase of your sub to get it to sound right.

My spring project list includes making a custom enclosure for my 10" Skar I bought myself for Christmas. I'll be putting mine into the passenger side trunk wall recess.

OP
OP
joemomma

joemomma

Reaction score
It's a single Kicker C12 in a slot-ported box (port and driver face same direction). I'll flip it around and see how it sounds this weekend. I've got to finish up the tweeter install anyway so I'll mess with it while I'm setting gain for the new speakers.

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
100 percent turn the subs around and it will change your opinion

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TN95gt