Jon Kaase P-38 Cylinder Heads?

Firefighter181

Reaction score
Sorry first off if this should go directly into the 5.0 pushrod tech section (mods feel free to move if needed) however curious if anyone here had had any experience with these or is perhaps running a set?

I am in the process of building a new motor and Im planning an internally balanced stock displacement, high winding n/a car. Just looking to see if anyone has any real world experience with them.

Thank you for any input!

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
My dream engine coincides right along with your idea. Id build a 351w block, 289 crank high spinner!

hottwheels04

Reaction score
they are big $ and i saw an engine dyno setup and it was still stock displacement 302 c.i 5.0 and it was over 500hp n/a with a set of the p38 heads on it, im sure its very high compression and spins to 7,500rpms to make over 500 hp all motor out of 5.0 liters on a pushrod

OP
OP
F

Firefighter181

Reaction score
they are big $ and i saw an engine dyno setup and it was still stock displacement 302 c.i 5.0 and it was over 500hp n/a with a set of the p38 heads on it, im sure its very high compression and spins to 7,500rpms to make over 500 hp all motor out of 5.0 liters on a pushrod

I seen the as well, supposedly that was a stock late 80's early 90's short block also compression and all. Valve train at that RPM long term is going to take a beating thought. That said the NMRA guys with 8.2" deck motors are regularly spinning into that range with Ford lifters, Trend or other quality push rods and some seriously well adjusted rockers.

I inquired on pistons for the heads as that would be the first step for me right now with the motor at the engine shop. Doug from Kaase Race Engines got back to me and advised that the stock style pistons either need to be fly cut to clear the 4 relief style pistons due to valve angle or a custom needs to be used. I have already found forged sets from DSS and a few others so unless my engine guy totally talks me out of it I may be leaning this way.

BlkoutGT

Reaction score
I seen the as well, supposedly that was a stock late 80's early 90's short block also compression and all. Valve train at that RPM long term is going to take a beating thought. That said the NMRA guys with 8.2" deck motors are regularly spinning into that range with Ford lifters, Trend or other quality push rods and some seriously well adjusted rockers.

I inquired on pistons for the heads as that would be the first step for me right now with the motor at the engine shop. Doug from Kaase Race Engines got back to me and advised that the stock style pistons either need to be fly cut to clear the 4 relief style pistons due to valve angle or a custom needs to be used. I have already found forged sets from DSS and a few others so unless my engine guy totally talks me out of it I may be leaning this way.

Trend and Diamond Pistons is owned by the Same person. If you choose to go a custom piston route. Plus Diamond makes a ton of sets for J Kaase. They are very familiar with his work.

OP
OP
F

Firefighter181

Reaction score
Trend and Diamond Pistons is owned by the Same person. If you choose to go a custom piston route. Plus Diamond makes a ton of sets for J Kaase. They are very familiar with his work.

Good info, thank you very much!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online