Joshuaw3's 98 Mustang Gt Build Thread

joshuaw3

Reaction score
Ok guys so here's the deal I used to have a 2000 v6 and decided that I really wanted to enter the world of the v8 and so I went out and got this guy here. It is a 98 GT. With around 135k miles and was almost bonestock before I got my hands on it. I got a hell of a deal on it. I paid 2100 for it. The one thing it did have was a grand in brakes. It has the powerstop pads and slotted/cross drilled rotors along with new powdercoated red calipers and new brake lines. So after I sold the v6 I instantly started buying Mods.

Mods done so far
1.BBK 78mm TB/plenum combo
2.K&N Cai
3.Performance Distributors 10mm Livewires
4.Screaming Demon coil packs
5.Full powerstop brakes
6.Latemodelresto sve upper and lower rear control arms
7.SR performance lowering springs about 2" front and 1.5" rear
8.KYB GR-2 Shocks and Struts
9.Flowmaster straight piped exhaust.
10.10k Hids
11.Eibach Anti-roll sway bar kit

Mods Purchased but waiting to install
1.BBK shorty tuned length headers chrome
2.Ford Racing 31 spine differential with Carbon Discs
3.3.73 gears
4.Moser 31 spine axles

Future Plans
After I graduate college and get a job which will hopefully be this winter I will be doing the big build. The basic plan is I'm going to replace everything on the car essentially. I want the car to be a new car when I'm done and just way better than any new car out there. So I will be pulling the engine and I plan to do a full rebuild going all out. Full forged internals, trick flow heads and trick flow intake manifold, cams, etc. You get the idea. Obviously doing the rear end work. So I have big plans for this car. After I literally do everything to it then will come some form of boost.

IMG_1099 by joshwegley, on Flickr

IMG_1203 by joshwegley, on Flickr

IMG_1207 by joshwegley, on Flickr

IMG_1208 by joshwegley, on Flickr

IMG_1217 by joshwegley, on Flickr

IMG_1139 by joshwegley, on Flickr

** If you click on the pics it will take you to an enlarged picture. The bottom is the current look of it. I think I'm going to go the murdered out route. I will post more pics of the Mods I have already done next time I have the car in the air.

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Fixed your pictures for you. Use the BBcode, then select a different size. I used large: 768x1024 for you. You might want to use medium?

Car looks great so far, I like the last picture with the bronze. In my opinion, murdered is lame and ugly typically.

OP
OP
J

joshuaw3

Reaction score
Ok thanks man and yeah I like the bronze too I just can't decide on what I want to do exactly. I guess it wouldn't be completely murdered out but like tint the windows and the rims I want are black but have a huge chrome lip but I may just try things and see what I like the best.

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
Looks good, I vote tint the windows and add a nice set of rims you like. Wheels make a world of difference appearance wise

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I like bronze as a wheel color. A nice set of gold or bronze wheels always looks good on a dark color car.

OP
OP
J

joshuaw3

Reaction score
Well tchmotorsports I will let you know. My buddy put them in his 95 5.0 and he said it was like he gained 50 HP obviously it doesn't actually add HP just feels that way bc it accelerates so much faster. I got them instead of 4.10s because everything I read about forced induction and just high HP was that you need 3.73s for certain cams and because for forced induction 4.10s would be just not practical at all. So a lot of my Mods are based on the plans to at some point do some forced induction and I don't want to buy parts twice. So the 78mm TB is extreme for a stock engine but its perfect for forced induction same with the huge ass wires and 31 spine axles. All part of the bigger build plan. Anyways thanks for the kind words so far guys and I will definitely let you guys know what I think about the Mods I do.

ElrodKTPQ_89

Legend
Reaction score
Nice build! I vote for some gold wheels as well. There aren't enough SN's out there with a nice set of gold wheels.

OP
OP
J

joshuaw3

Reaction score
What do you guys think about for the trans? Should I stick with the t45 and just get it beefed up or just buy a t56?

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
What's the color name of the paint you used on the rims? I dig it.

OP
OP
J

joshuaw3

Reaction score

Just go to your friendly neighborhood Lowe's and look for it. I'm not sure exactly what it is I can check tomorrow and get back to ya. Its just spray paint on a white primer. Just trying things out while I have stock rims on it you know?

OP
OP
J

joshuaw3

Reaction score

The paint color for the rims is vintage metallic copper from lowes.

The build process is slow right now due to trying to finish up school here. Im slowly stockpiling parts.
I fixed my odometer gears so now that works and I can figure out my gas mileage haha.

OP
OP
J

joshuaw3

Reaction score
I do have a question though. If im planning on having a pretty good amount of horsepower on this build what should my fuel set up be? I was looking at venoms build yesterday and it got me thinking. What are the benefits of the sump and an external fuel pump other than looking bad ass? Would it be easier to just get a big in tank fuel pump or no? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
What's "a pretty good amount" of horsepower? Depending on your answer here, there isn't really much of a benefit to an external setup - or it might be required. It depends on your goals. Agreed, it does look badass.

OP
OP
J

joshuaw3

Reaction score
The minimum amount of hp I want is 500 but ideally id be in the 700 range if possible with a form of forced induction.

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Then yes, I'd suggest you look into an external setup, either a massive single or dual pump setup. There might be intake options that flow what you will need, but usually they aren't big enough due to space limitations in the stock tank (aftermarket tank might fit one) - some people run an internal pump and an external. As for the sump, what are you going to do with the car, drag race it?

Edit: around 500 chp you might be okay with a single in-tank 255lph. You'd have to do the calculations on what CFM you are flowing and then what duty cycle your injectors are at - that will tell you if you are maxing out the pump. Going over 500 chp I would seriously consider a larger setup. Either internal or external (or both), it's up to you.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online

No members online now.