Joshuaw3's 96 gt build

OP
OP
J

joshuaw3

Reaction score
You will knock that time down like crazy with some more seat time. When my car was only boltons and drag radials I was in the Mid 8's. (1/8thmi)

Also I wouldn't even worry about your reaction time yet. Sit at the light and get your launch rpm figured out first. I recommend getting your self a n2mb wot box. Will allow you to set the desired launch rpm while also building some boost off the line.

What radiator and overflow are you running? I’m looking at ditching my oem radiator and overflow.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah it sucks. In the 80s-90s so far it stays right around 200 degrees. I’m going to go tubular front or at least tubular radiator support and try to move everything forward a bit so I can get some more room in between the block and the turbo.

Yeah I figured it would run hot. Get a heat blanket for the turbine side and it will help a great amount. Heat wrap all of the hotside piping as well.

It may void the warranty on the kit you bought but you’ll notice a huge difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
J

joshuaw3

Reaction score
Yeah I figured it would run hot. Get a heat blanket for the turbine side and it will help a great amount. Heat wrap all of the hotside piping as well.

It may void the warranty on the kit you bought but you’ll notice a huge difference.

Yeah once I can move it away from the engine I’ll put a blanket on it but since it’s so close there isn’t even enough room for the blanket.
What backspacing should I get for drag wheels 15x10

98snakehorse

Reaction score
What radiator and overflow are you running? I’m looking at ditching my oem radiator and overflow.

Its an ASI Overlflow tank which I am using as a recovery style system. I welded on a radiator cap right to the aluminum thermostat housing with an overlfow tube going directly to the tank. Works great and cleans up the engine bay.

To keep the heat down I coated the headers and crossover pipes with ceramic coating. I then heat wrapped the downpipe and installed a PTE turbo blanket. My engine temps never go above 190 on the hottest days or under wide open throttle. Averages 180-185 while cruising. Still using a factory radiator and fan. I do however have a CG fab turbo kit so there is way less hot piping than the On3 kit uses.

OP
OP
J

joshuaw3

Reaction score
09D0A5AD-E0EB-4DA2-A4A6-2353A24DC94E.jpeg
Ignore the reaction time it was insta green. My 60 ft got better and was able to get a 12.6 at 115. Just need a tire and then keep working on getting it lower. Pretty pleased with that on street tires.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
View attachment 1774
Ignore the reaction time it was insta green. My 60 ft got better and was able to get a 12.6 at 115. Just need a tire and then keep working on getting it lower. Pretty pleased with that on street tires.

Very nice dude!!!! Your getting there!!

I’m almost afraid to say it but your at the point your gonna start finding the weak links in the drivetrain and suspension. But you have made a hell of a start.

OP
OP
J

joshuaw3

Reaction score
Very nice dude!!!! Your getting there!!

I’m almost afraid to say it but your at the point your gonna start finding the weak links in the drivetrain and suspension. But you have made a hell of a start.

Yeah I’m thinking the rear end will need work, I have upper and lower control arms in the rear but they are just sr performance, and I have tokico blues. I’m thinking I’ll need some adjustable uppers and lowers a drag spring bc I’m on a stock cut in the rear, drag radials and a wot box. I want to get it as fast as I can with the stock motor and only the 8lbs I’m at now and then go crazy when I build the motor.

98snakehorse

Reaction score
Very nice really cutting down those times! Be careful with those sr control arms. They begin twisting and breaking the welds at a certain point. I think i was in the 1.8 60ft range and 7.60 1/8th time with the stock spline diff and axles before I decided to upgrade.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

joshuaw3

Reaction score
Very nice really cutting down those times! Be careful with those sr control arms. They begin twisting and breaking the welds at a certain point. I think i was in the 1.8 60ft range and 7.60 1/8th time with the stock spline diff and axles before I decided to upgrade.
I’ll get some adjustable ones eventually one thing I don’t understand is what exactly is being adjusted on them?

98snakehorse

Reaction score
I’ll get some adjustable ones eventually one thing I don’t understand is what exactly is being adjusted on them?

Adjustable control arms gives you full control of the rear end placement, pinion angles things like that.

I run the TeamZ upper and lower double adjustable control arms and strange 10 way shocks. Ford B springs that I cut to the ride height I wanted and have been cutting 1.46 60fters

Last edited:

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Get the load jacker style and you can kind of adjust the preload on the rear springs.

OP
OP
J

joshuaw3

Reaction score
3AE6BCCC-B569-4E0D-AEB2-8F971439E8DE.jpeg 884A5203-CC40-46A2-A3EC-78DB7151FEB8.jpeg 4FFABDDD-2388-4861-99ED-1D4CE19C308D.jpeg 4064285A-F897-4751-BA10-4BCD57DC95D3.jpeg
Got the cheapy jegs wheels on with the Hoosiers. Looks so good. Hopefully it will hook now lol

98snakehorse

Reaction score
looks good, or those 26 or 28" tall tires? Also what rear gear are you running

PS whoever the heck balanced those tires should be drop kicked. and should know better than to put the weights on the outside of the wheel lol.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

joshuaw3

Reaction score
looks good, or those 26 or 28" tall tires? Also what rear gear are you running

PS whoever the heck balanced those tires should be drop kicked. and should know better than to put the weights on the outside of the wheel lol.
Haha it is what it is. And they are 28s. Rear gear is still stock 3.27

OP
OP
J

joshuaw3

Reaction score
Hey guys. Sorry about no updates. Haven’t been doing much lately. I just installed my abs delete block over the weekend. And due to a lot of noise from the throw out bearing that I just put in, in may with a new clutch I replaced the throw out bearing, clutch fork and pivot stud. It was fine for about 2 days and now it is making noise again. I have the McLeod street extreme clutch with a ford pivot stud, ford clutch fork and ford throw out bearing.
Anybody know what could be causing it to make noise already again.

OP
OP
J

joshuaw3

Reaction score
you used a ford racing tob right? I have heard to never use any other brand.

A mechanic at my job said it could be the input shaft bearing in the transmission? But if I press the clutch in just a little it stops making noise? So idk. It makes me not want to drive it though.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Times like this is when I say fawk it and drive it till what ever it is just totally goes out. Then I know for sure what it was.

But don’t listen to me. Stupid ideas like that contributed to my car being in pieces for 5 years now. [emoji38]

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser

Members online