Just bought a 94 Cobra!! Need Help!

OP
OP
C

christopher perez

Reaction score
Did you make sure to do the rest of the ignition parts I mentioned?? If they haven’t been done in a long time they will cause problems.

To do injectors you gotta pull the cai at minimum. Probably easier to pull upper intake manifold. A few sensor harnesses, a few vacuum lines, and throttle cables. Really not hard at all and just use masking tape and a marker to label everything since it’s your first time as you pull them off. Then the injector rails are right in the open.

After competing all the ignition parts replacement I’d try running a few tanks of good gas with a high quality injector cleaner. That stuff can work wonders. Or do like Ttocs did and pull you injectors and try manually cleaning them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Plus wires and cap are new. The seller replaced them right before I bought the car and you can tell they’re new. The plugs I have new but haven’t done them yet. I was thinking I’d get that done when I replace the injectors as well.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Plus wires and cap are new. The seller replaced them right before I bought the car and you can tell they’re new. The plugs I have new but haven’t done them yet. I was thinking I’d get that done when I replace the injectors as well.

Are you sure injectors need replaced? With the mileage I’m sure it’s a good idea. I’d just hate to see ya spend a bunch if not needed.

@ttocs who did you send your injectors to for servicing??

OP
OP
C

christopher perez

Reaction score
Are you sure injectors need replaced? With the mileage I’m sure it’s a good idea. I’d just hate to see ya spend a bunch if not needed.

@ttocs who did you send your injectors to for servicing??

Exactly my thought! I got the accel 24lbs. They were like $300. Not sure how much instal is going to run me if I end up not doing it myself. I would love to return the injectors and spend it on something else. But I should probably replace them, at the end of the day they are 25 year old injectors...

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Exactly my thought! I got the accel 24lbs. They were like $300. Not sure how much instal is going to run me if I end up not doing it myself. I would love to return the injectors and spend it on something else. But I should probably replace them, at the end of the day they are 25 year old injectors...

Installing them yourself won’t cost much at all if you already own them. Basically a couple of gaskets and that’s it as long as you got injectors with the same style plugs. Did they come with new hats and o rings?

OP
OP
C

christopher perez

Reaction score
Installing them yourself won’t cost much at all if you already own them. Basically a couple of gaskets and that’s it as long as you got injectors with the same style plugs. Did they come with new hats and o rings?

Im not sure. Haven’t opened the box yet.

OP
OP
C

christopher perez

Reaction score
UPDATE - when the car was on idle I would a noise every few seconds, it similar to a light reving noise. So thinking it was an idle issue I replaced the IAC. Well the issue wasn’t the IAC. Then I realized idle is fine... the reving noise only appears when I turn on the AC!! what could this be?

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
When you turn on your ac the rpms should rev a little bit higher. That’s to keep it from killing the car. This means your iac is working.

OP
OP
C

christopher perez

Reaction score
When you turn on your ac the rpms should rev a little bit higher. That’s to keep it from killing the car. This means your iac is working.

So that is normal? For it to sound like it’s revving every few seconds?

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
For example, if your car normally idles at 800rpm and then you turn on the ac. It should ramp up to between 900-1000rpm. Every time the compressor kicks on and off you’ll hear the Rpm’s go up an down.

Obviously I’m not there to see or hear it but that’s what it should normally do.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
it should increase in rpms maybe 100-150 rpms, but it should not surge up/down like it sounds like yours is doing. It could be a tuning thing or something else.

OP
OP
C

christopher perez

Reaction score
it should increase in rpms maybe 100-150 rpms, but it should not surge up/down like it sounds like yours is doing. It could be a tuning thing or something else.
Yes! It surges up and down every few seconds. That’s what I mean

OP
OP
C

christopher perez

Reaction score
For example, if your car normally idles at 800rpm and then you turn on the ac. It should ramp up to between 900-1000rpm. Every time the compressor kicks on and off you’ll hear the Rpm’s go up an down.

Obviously I’m not there to see or hear it but that’s what it should normally do.

Just fixed the AC. It was the A/C Cycle Switch. No more of that surging sound and my AC is COLD again!! Crazy how i'm sure the RPM issue and the idle issue may have scared anyone from buying this car and it ended being a $60 fix. :)

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
So basically your ac was cycling on and off non stop so the idle kept going up and down.

Glad it was an easy cheap fix.

Now get to driving and enjoying that beast!!!

TX_Snake

Reaction score
I wouldn’t change the injectors. A FI failure is a pretty rare thing. I’d make sure the car is 100% mechanically right. Fresh tune up, all fluids, belts, etc. check timing, make sure it is correct. Get the car back to a stock, base performance level before you start to play with it. Once there, I would get a MGW shifter, weld in subframe braces, and your choice of springs and dampners to lower the car a bit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarthur1995

Members online