just bought pi head kit

94 DropTop

Reaction score
now i need to know if i should pay someone to put then on or just do it myself?
i got the kit from parkwayperformance. I was wondering if i should take the heads to a machine shop and have them ported and polished, and how much should i expect to pay?

Daywalker

Reaction score
The last quote I got to have my heads completely disassembled, cleaned, ported, valve job, guides, and reassembled was $1200......

19mustang95

Legend
Reaction score
if you feel that you are competent enough to do it, then do so...but if you have any doubt that you wont be able to do it yourself, then let a professional do it..

and you dont have a 94 do you?

OP
OP

94 DropTop

Reaction score
i have a 94GT vert, a 95 gt coupe and a 97 gt coupe

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Depends on your engine experience.

You'll want a helper to get a few things on and lined up.
I had a helper when I did mine.

Porting could add up, you'd probably wanna check around.
www.powerheads.com does that, as do others.

or just slap a blower on with your PI's and call it good. :)

NORTON98

Reaction score
Dalamar...

When you say slap a blower on there and call it good. How much PSI are you thinking? Obviously not enought to need forged internals...

Mike

ripper

Reaction score
Not to get off topic here but dalamar do you have any pics of your 67? I love those cars. Im over 50 and remember when they came out.

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
NORTON98 said:
Dalamar...

When you say slap a blower on there and call it good. How much PSI are you thinking? Obviously not enought to need forged internals...

Mike

Mike, you shortblock can take low 400 HP so long as you have a good tune.
I think that rather then paying for porting, IM or whatever bolt on, it's more valuable to get a blower, and PI heads.
your headswap will give you 50-60 PH gain, and higher rpm gains.
and a blower put's out power power since it's less restrictive.
Unless you want to go over the 450 HP range, and are crazy like what I'm doing.
typically 6-8 psi, tuned to the level you want.

What are you thinking of doing after the headswap?

Stevo said:
Not to get off topic here but dalamar do you have any pics of your 67? I love those cars. Im over 50 and remember when they came out.
Cool, there's a link below my sig.
Were they pretty sweet back then?

ripper

Reaction score
WOW that car is awesome. Hell yea they were the cats ass in the day. They came with one of 2 motors a 351 or a 289. I had a 65 with a 289. I paid like 300 bucks for it lol. Was white w/black verte. Man i wish i still had that car. The 67 fastback was a sought after car. Chevy had the 283, 350. Dodge had a 240, 340(or maybe it was the 360) Ford always had the cubes over the competition until you got up to the big blocks. But they made up for cubes with performance heads, and state of the art airflow (429 cobrajet). Man i could go on for hours LOL. Its been a long time i forgot alot of info but those were the days when every teenager had a hot rod. Some fo my numbers might be screwed up but believe me that is one sweet car you have there.

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
im gonna have to disagree on this one. First off, theres no way that just swapping untouched PI heads (let alone p/p PI Heads) will net you 50-60rwhp...it just wont happen...Secondly, if you already did the headswap, i would reconsider adding some f/i...an increase in compression and boost isn't a good idea...MAYBE if you ran like 6 lbs at the most. But than again if you were looking for power i would just get an extreme p/p job on the pi heads, some radical cams...do some bolt ons and call it a day. I personally think if you did the pi head swap you should stay n/a...but its your car..im sure you could make some awesome power but think about the longetivity of the car...just looking out for ya man!

S

scarface

Tune is the key with these cars..Pi headswaps and Boost go hand in hand. Compression is loved by the mod engines. If you are going to run non forged internals, Pi swap, and boost...Just keep in mine that you will just have to have the timming backed off a bit.

I plan to forge mine personally, HOWEVER, there are plenty of people running the swap and the PI swap with no issues....It was like I said in reply to the Pi intake and the silicone...to each there own.

ripper

Reaction score
If your gonna do a pi swap and not do pistons you should go with nitrous. Nitrous loves compression. A blown car gets beat on all the time but a sprayed car only gets it when its sprayed. Its more of a pita but it is cheaper and the end results are the same. Only difference is opening the hood or the trunk to show it off lol.

19mustang95

Legend
Reaction score
blown97stanger said:
im gonna have to disagree on this one. First off, theres no way that just swapping untouched PI heads (let alone p/p PI Heads) will net you 50-60rwhp...it just wont happen...

this has been proven many times over that you can get that much power with the PI swap

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
okay you said it yourself...the swap(meaning heads/cams/intake) not heads alone

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, when I refer to the PI swap, it's the heads/cams and Intake.

50-60 is what you'll get, with a tune, I've seen it many times.
I got 95 HP gain with porting and cams.
that's rear wheel, i've got dyno's to show it.

The debate can go either way, with a good tune and a centrifical blower the engine can take it.
Detonation is the enemy here, and will break those cast pistons/rods in a few seconds.
So a good tune is KEY with any power adder on the stock assembly.

plenty of guys run a blower on the stock assembly, and with the higher compression of the swap.
Scarface is correct, the modulars love compression.

It really comes down to money.
If you can afford to go motor and blower, more power to ya.
I just think back on all the time I waited to rebuild mine and all the bolt on's i bought.
I should have just got a blower, and ran it low boost until I could go all the way.

the headswap is the place to start for serious power gains on the SN's.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Staff online

Members online