Just changed rear brake pads. Questions!!!

Motojoe

Reaction score
Just did the rear brake pads in my 96 gt. After I did it I read somewhere that the dimples on the piston you use to twist the piston back in with have to line up with the nipple on the pads. Is this true? It went together with no problem but I'm just making sure I didn't mess it up. I used the brake tool to press the piston in enough to get it over the new pads. Once that was done I pushed down on the caliper to compress the metal tabs. Then bolted it back to the bracket. Think it's ok?

RichV

Reaction score
You should be fine. No pads that I've seen had grooves or divets for the pistons.

What at pads did you use?

kb1982

Reaction score
Yes the pistons have notches on them for the tool so you can twist them back in. Using a standard C clamp isnt the correct method to getting the piston back in. The fronts dont require this method to push back in. The screw part design for the rear calipers are part of the parking brake implementation. If you press the brakes and let off, and set the parking brake and release it, and the bakes arent stuck after this, i wouldnt worry about them.

OP
OP
M

Motojoe

Reaction score
My only concern is, is the piston low enough on the bad or is the nipple on the brake pad holding it up. I had to use some force to compress the springs when reinstalling the caliper. I might just take it apart and reinstall for peace of mind. But if everyone just compresses the piston and shoves the caliper over the pads I won't be too concerned.

kb1982

Reaction score
If you didnt replace the rotors, and the piston was all the way in, the calipers should slide over the pads and rotors fairly easily.

OP
OP
M

Motojoe

Reaction score
The caliper slid right over with ease but to get the two bolts on I had to push down hard on the caliper to get the bolts to line up with the slide pins.

OP
OP
M

Motojoe

Reaction score
Well I just looked at my old pad and the pad has the imprint from the piston. And I was right. The notch on the piston has to lign up with the little nipple on the pad. So for everyone else the piston dots have to be in the 3/9 o'clock position after it's compressed.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Every set of pads I've put in mine had the nipples that line up with the piston. Won't easily go back together if not lined up correctly.

OP
OP
M

Motojoe

Reaction score
Just to fill you guys In. I took everything apart and it looks like the piston twisted itself Into place. So even though I didn't along it right, the piston must of extracted and fell into the position over the pin. Big win for me!!!!! Thanks for the help guys.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online

No members online now.