Just got 4.10's. Speed-cal question

Motojoe

Reaction score
Just had my 4.10's installed today. Went from 2.73 on my 96 gt to 4.10's. It was a big jump. The car pulls strong. I don't want to beat on it too much because they told me the gears need to seat. First gear is super low. Lasts 5 feet then it's time to hit 2nd. I'm changing gears a lot to try and keep the rpm's under 3500. It's hard to say if I like this setup yet, I didn't get to drive it much. They changed my speedo cable gear to a 23t but I am still way off. When I'm doing 70 it says around 83.

I was thinking, put my stock gear back in and get a speed-cal but I read a lot of bad reviews. Any other options for a 96 gt.Thanks guys.

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
I have a ford racing speed cal.. Went from 2.73 to 4.10, no issues speedo is dead on. Take your old gear and divide by new one. Round to the nearest hundreth and put those 3 numbers into the speedcal. there are 3 circle dials inside the speedcal to put one # for each. Oh yeah 4.10s and a stick = no first gear.. I have 4.10s in my 5 speed 95, its annoying.. Swapping 3.55s in. Btw if you hear any WHINING noises or metal clunking bring it back ASAP and have them fix it. You shouldn't hear anything but if you do, go back.. Or else once those gears set a wear pattern theres no fixing it. I went thru this with my 4.10s, guy installed them wrong and I didn't know. Claimed to fix it but only made the whining and howling noises worse by making me wait

OP
OP
M

Motojoe

Reaction score
So far I regret the 4.10's. I wish I went with 3.73. If I did the 3.73's i probably wouldn't need the speed-cal which is now another 100-150 bucks down the drain. I have to drive it around some more to really give it a fair review but the ride home from the shop didn't impress me. I see the ford unit is around 140 and seems easier to install. Anyone have experience with the both of these. Which is a better product.

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
So far I regret the 4.10's. I wish I went with 3.73. If I did the 3.73's i probably wouldn't need the speed-cal which is now another 100-150 bucks down the drain. I have to drive it around some more to really give it a fair review but the ride home from the shop didn't impress me. I see the ford unit is around 140 and seems easier to install. Anyone have experience with the both of these. Which is a better product.

Mine was automatic so with 4.10s it was awesome. But I did a 5 speed conversion so.. Shifting into 4th at around 29 mph gets old, so does having no first gear. The 4.10s do feel great when ya get on it, can't knock that. Just not practical in a stick car for a daily driver.. I have the Ford racing speed cal, worth what they ask? $140? Nope, maybe 75. But I had no other choice. Theres some cutting and splicing to do with the speedcal to the tranny harness in the engine bay by the firewall (passenger side). Not a big deal at all.

OP
OP
M

Motojoe

Reaction score
There is a million posts on problems with the speedcal from Dallas. I think the ford one might be worth the 45 extra bucks. I'll drive it a little like this to see what I'm going to do.

MysticChaos

Reaction score
I've had the extended range speedcal from Latemodelrestorations for over a year now and have no issues with it at all. I bought mine because I did a T-56 swap. The only cutting and splicing I recall was hooking the power wire into the aux. power source by the shifter.

Reaction score
I'm thinking about going to 4.10 or 3.73.Please do report back with how you fixed the speedo.

After driving the car more,do you still regret the 4.10?

OP
OP
M

Motojoe

Reaction score
So it's been a few days with the 4.10's. They aren't so bad on the highway. The part that kills me is the constant gear changing. I can barley make it through an intersection without switching to 2nd. And now I had to buy the ford racing spedo recalibration tool. $145. I opted for that instead of the dallas unit because of the instillation. The ford seems easier. If I had done 373's I could of done the 23t spedo gear and been done. Lesson learned. Get the 373's.

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
go with 3.55s or 3.73s. 4.10s plus a stick makes daily driving annoying. I can't get but 10 feet without going into 2nd. Go into fourth around 30

joekd

Reaction score
Call me the odd one here but I loved my 4.10's with a 5 sp in my 96, I had done 3.55's in one of my last mustangs and always regretted not going with the 4.10's

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
I have 4.10s in my 95, daily driven 5 speed. Spins all thru first and 2nd like nothing. Shifting every 10 feet gets annoying after awhile

sinner

Reaction score
I have 4.10s and 4.30s in a few cars and I hated it. I feel 373 are a great choice.

OP
OP
M

Motojoe

Reaction score
Just to update the post. The ford racing was super easy to install and I was able to do it under the hood instead of crawling under the car. My spedo is off from the GPS by 1 mph at 80. I can live with that but it's so easy to adjust I might fix it. When I got the 4.10's I really wasn't happy but it's a learning curve. It's really a different car now. Yes, first is short but in nyc gridlock I can just let the car idle in 1st and keep up with traffic. You do have to change gears a lot more often too. And lastly it's higher in the rpm's on the highway but not extreme. My honest opinion is I it's your 2nd car do 4.10's. Daily driver 3.73 or 3.55. And to be honest guys. It spins less with the 4.10's. I can hook up and go. The stock 2.73's required a lot of feathering the clutch and had me spinning a lot. (Let's be honest it's a 2v, not a lot but it did spin) lol. Ford racing spedo recal is a lot better than the dallas mustang unit IMO

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online