Just got another Cobra. A 98 that was repo'd

OP
OP
V

vnmsgt

Reaction score
Thanks! Actually my friend told me about it and bugged me to go look at it when I didnt really want to. lol

OP
OP
V

vnmsgt

Reaction score
There was a once difference I found out between the Lincoln motor and Cobra and that was the tube coming from the back of the water pump into the valley and out the back on the cylinder heads. Yes its different but it also attaches different to the nipple coming out the back of the water pump.

OP
OP
V

vnmsgt

Reaction score
The Cobra had the pipe attached with just a slip on pipe and 2 orings on the nipple and the Lincoln motor used a rubber hose to attach the pipe to the nipple on the back of the water pump

OP
OP
V

vnmsgt

Reaction score
Had to cut off the end of the pipe from the Cobra motor and use the hose and clamps to attach it to the Lincoln for it to work.

OP
OP
V

vnmsgt

Reaction score
Got a couple more things done yesterday. Got another set of valve covers and painted them Ford Racing Blue and cleaned up the corrosion on the alternator so at least it looks ok. Probably gonna get it tested at an autoparts store to see if good since it was on the motor when I got it from the salvage yard.

OP
OP
V

vnmsgt

Reaction score
Also got an aluminum flywheel from a friend thats a six bolt that I can use since the motor in the car Im replacing is a real Cobra motor it has the 8 bolt flywheel.Dropped that off yesterday to get resurfaced.

OP
OP
V

vnmsgt

Reaction score
Also cleaned up the coolant crossover tube and got that painted black so its not all chipped up and rusted.

OP
OP
V

vnmsgt

Reaction score
Probably holding off on trying to swap the motors this weekend. Actually have a friend that owns a shop and is going to help me and use his lift so we can drop the motor out of the bottom of the car and swap it instead of trying to get it out the top with the longtubes on and stuff. Hopefully that makes it less of a pain. Probably the weekend after this coming one.

OP
OP
V

vnmsgt

Reaction score
Well got the motor swap done this weekend! Ive put about 120 miles on it so far. Has a couple little issues I need to work out. Once we got it running and was gonna head home from the shop I stopped to get gas because the gauge said full and wanted to make sure it worked because it didnt go to empty when shut off. Of course when I got there it only took 1 gallon....... crap, so for however long this car sat which was awhile, it has a full tank of whatever kind of bad gas in it. So Im am driving the car and running the gas through since I drive 120 miles a day to work. Car does have a hesitation when accelerating but a few times its smooth, thinking that part of the bad gas but I got some extra coils I am going to replace with just to see.

Also another weird thing is when I step on the brake at a stop light, the harder I step on it the lower the rpms go and I can make it stall by doing this. Never heard of this before. Anybody got suggestions? Im going to take a look for any vacuum leaks for now.

Test drive was the drive to the gas station and home lol as we closed up the shop as soon as I got it running because we had our Mustang club meet to attend. Drove home and to the meet then back home and besides what I mentioned about, it drove ok.

OP
OP
V

vnmsgt

Reaction score
Here are the pics from this weekend of swapping the motor out.

Carnage281

Reaction score
It's amazing what a set of painted valve covers can do. Looks great.

OP
OP
V

vnmsgt

Reaction score
Got another question. The injectors that came with this cobra intake I installed on this motor say there 26# on the side of them. I thought Cobra's came with 24# ones. Could this be the cause of my running issue and it hesitating if problem is not my old gas and maybe bad coil?

OP
OP
V

vnmsgt

Reaction score
Hesitation problem was the car still had the original spark plugs from 97 in the motor. Swapped them out and now revs to 7k like it wants more! Guess the 26# injectors are working ok.