Just PI intake??

canzo116

Reaction score
I dont really want to get into cams and all that on my 98 GT. WOuld it be worth it to do just the intake? I was also thinking about getting that BBK 78mm throttle body/plenum combo but heard its overkill for a mostly stock motor. Thoughts??

joekd

Reaction score
I had the PI intake, a C&L plenum and a 70MM TB on my 96, while it may not have had as much power as doing cams also it was an improvement over stock (especially at higher RPMS) and obviously was a ton cheaper to do

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I did the PI intake like 2 years ago and I definitely felt a difference. It may not be a night and day difference, but it's definitely there.
Like joe said, it will feel much more responsive in the top end. For the money, i'd say it's worth it. You can do the PI intake swap for just around $200 if you know where to look.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Its a solid 15hp bump and does raise your usable power band up some.

Tackle the intake first, then if you feel good about that you may want to try swapping the PI cams later as they will be good for almost the same.

After doing the Intake and cams guys were seeing 25-30rwhp gains on dyno.

Willis_98GT

Reaction score
Theres no "too much" for your intake selections

The term originates from Bolt on response.

Any size tb/plenum/intake will always work, but tuning will always bring the best out of your mods.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
eqyru9u2.jpg

Top cut-a-way is a npi intake and portrays the runner size compared to the lower pi. Technically(old engine technology) the pi intake runners are to big for the valve size creating low rpm output but the Helmholtz resonance(new technology) makes up for that. A "wave"(kind like water) occurs when the intake valve shuts and with the runners correctly tuned length and I.d. the wave will flow away and flow back just in time for the intake valve to be opening. This is referred to as Helmholtz (research the guy) because the returning wave is a "free energy" aspect. This helps with the volumetric efficiency of the engine and is creating a slight supercharger affect, but the down fall is a narrow rpm band width. Most cases the factory tunes the intakes for drivable power, but the pi intake is more on the upper rpm(big internal dimension runners and long).

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online