Just picked up 2000 Mustang GT Steeda build #0048

ScottyDsntKnow

Reaction score
Sold my mint 98GT in the fall, figured I'd wait 2 years and buy a Coyote. Also having a knee scope next week. So what better time than to go headfirst into a new project right? In all seriousness, when I saw this I felt that if it was as advertised it was one of those "finds" you always hear about but its always someone else that finds it. And it actually was as advertised so I jumped on it.

Has a blown motor, paid $5500 for it. Fully optioned with the Novi 2000 and everything. 34,800 original miles and garage kept until October of last year and then it just sat in a driveway because the previous owner blew it up 400 miles after he bought it.

Got a line on a 38k mile 2005 PI motor out of a Marquis for $500 locally and I'm going to pull the piggyback chip off the computer and get a SCT tuner for it and have it remote tuned by someone legit. Besides that... trans shifts like butter (car is still driveable but tap tap tap), suspension is tight, CLEAN underside and interior is a solid 9/10.

I did call Steeda and verify this is a legit car. Did not have the wing on the build sheet and someone removed the stripes at some point. Car is a sleeper as it sits IMO. Going to shoot for a safe 400-425 to the wheels and enjoy the hell out of it while I build up something for it on the side.

What do you all think? I feel I stole the car honestly. I know what KBB says, I also know this was a $40k car in 2000. I need to put $1000-$1500 into it to have a clean low mileage 400whp car. Also hoping to make a little of that back parting out the blown motor and the Snow meth kit it has on it.

1bad95

Reaction score
What a steal! Nice car!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
I like it a lot! Seems like you got a steal with all it has, with a new motor, low miles and less than 8k into it you will have a hell of a good car

blackdemon007

Reaction score
Any idea what is actually wrong with the motor?
And whats up with that hose clamp around the air intake?

RichV

Reaction score
$5500 is a steal for a plane jane 38K mile GT. Great score!

Whats the braking/suspension differences on these?

OP
OP
S

ScottyDsntKnow

Reaction score
The motor has a spun rod bearing or a bad wrist pin. Tap tap tap tap tap. That hose clamp on the blower is because the couplers on the blower are original from 2000 I'm guessing and it doesn't really hold the pipe very well. I will be replacing all of them with new silocne ones.

I have a really bad copy of the build sheet from the seller but like I said I did verify the car is legit. You could order them with pretty much any option you wanted from Steeda, this one had a $17,235 package on a $24k car lol.

Brakes are Front Brembos and Hawk Pads/Powerslot rotors.

It has a full Steeda suspension pretty much.

Steeda springs, steeda CC plates, Tokico shocks/stuts, steeda HD UCAs, steeda LCAs, steeda tubular front sway bar, steeda adjustable rear swaybar, steeda strut tower brace, steeda frame rail brace. Also has the tri-ax, autometer gauges, 3.73s, Steeda rims (which are rebranded lightweight rims from I forget who), Bassanni Stainless Catback, Ultra Cool aluminum radiator and the Novi 2000.

Car also had added to it a flowtech OR X pipe (which needs to be replaced like NOW if you've ever seen one), looks like some kind of DIY subframe connectors that I will leave for now but eventually cut/grind off and have full lengths installed, a piggyback chip that the seller had no idea about and a Snow Meth kit which the seller thought was a SCT tuner. Also has an aftermarket car alarm.

So I am going to have to do some detective work on this. Need to pull the ECU and see what is up with it, get a set of Snow Meth kit instructions and go in reverse to remove that and then decide if I want to get rid of the car alarm or not. But yeah I still feel I got the car for a song. New motor is $500 confirmed with the wrecker and has a warranty.

OP
OP
S

ScottyDsntKnow

Reaction score
Archive copy of the build sheet directly from Steeda this afternoon. They had to get a lead engineer to dig through a filing cabinet to find a paper copy haha. GREAT service on their end.

VIN matches up, I just whited it out for the photobucket copy. Everything is there except the floormats, which I can get new. Even the tires are original haha.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I always wanted a Steeda car back in the day but they were money$$$$ and I was young and poor :)

I would still go with the Steeda race wing even though its not on the build sheet and get those decals on there.

Since I couldn't afford the actual Steeda car I did use their suspension and it made my vert handle well.

OP
OP
S

ScottyDsntKnow

Reaction score
I'll worry about the cosmetics after the car is up and running again. Bought a CX Racing intercooler kit brand new for $500 shipped today. Not going to run this car non-intercooled. Going to look at that motor next week if its still there. If not... another will come along. I won't be able to work on the car for a few weeks anyway since I'm getting my knee scoped tomorrow.

I did find some peeling paint that I missed flaking up from under the sail panel/roof trim panel on both sides. Happened on my low mileage 95 Cobra too... going to make that a project for while I'm healing from this scope. $100 worth of stuff from Paintscratch in the mail today and I'll start fixing it next week. Hate how the paint is notorious for peeling there, the rest of the paint on the car is literally factory mint, not even a nick on the hood. Blah.

OP
OP
S

ScottyDsntKnow

Reaction score
Lots more stuff ordered in the last few days. Going to have a bunch of packages showing up on the doorstep early next week. Very Excite! Biggest PITA has been finding a catted mid pipe that isn't an arm and a leg. UPR is out and has no idea when they are getting more but I was able to get ahold of their supplier, VRS, and get them to make me one with a wideband bung and 15% off for military is badass. BBK is too much damn money for theirs and I don't think even the Magnaflow is 304 stainless anymore. I could be wrong but I think its all 409. For a car that won't see bad weather, I'm not paying out of my asshole for cheap 409 stainless.

Also said screw it and decided to just do the clutch and not worry about an OEM 10.5" clutch holding about 500fwhp. Ordered the Mach 400 for 01-04 cars which is 11" and also an 11" flywheel. Had this clutch in my 98GT and it rocked and its rated for 510fwhp.

Wideband is ordered

Little misc stuff is ordered...

After the motor is bought its going to be VERY close to the $8k budget. I am probably going to go over... but most of going over will be getting the Konig wheels blasted/coated and new tires. OEM for the Steeda was Nitto 285/35/18 on all 4 corners. I may get that again or go with 275/35/18 Mickeys all around to cut down on the tire bulge a little. Mickeys are better anyway.

OP
OP
S

ScottyDsntKnow

Reaction score
Motor today! Getting delivered tomorrow or Friday. $575 delivered for 39k mile Marquis 2V.

Needs a good cleaning but no signs of leaks at all. Also 05 means 8 thread plug holes and the car was owned by an old person so its had an easy life. Till now...

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
nice find. I think I would need to put the decals back on funny enough as I just spend an hour last week taking vinyl off of my car swearing I would never do it again unless it was a mask for paint.

OP
OP
S

ScottyDsntKnow

Reaction score
I think I am going to put the door vinyl on but I have a burning hatred for windshield letters...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alida81

Members online