Just picked up a new to me project...kinda

adamv7010

Reaction score
Just picked up an 03 gt 5speed this week. Car is basically stock aside from an intake and exhaust. I have a few questions as most of my performance life has been centered around diesels.

1....I want to swap the OEM 3.27 for a 4.10...aside of the gear & pinion...what else is needed?

2...I do not know if this car has been tuned or not. Is there any way to find out aside from just reflashing it all together?

3...on basically stock cars, what are the common fail points? What should be done as a preventative measure?

My intentions with this car as of now are only a few cosmetic upgrades and a better intake, headers, and tuning. Possibly a cam & more fuel at some point, but that's not a concern at this point.

sent while driving recklessly

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
Get the master rebuild kit for the rear end while your at it , comes with new bearings and seals , I always replace the posi clutch packs and ditch a shim for some a extra clutch disc. I always use 2 bottles of friction modifier as well when filling my rear end , stuff smells revolting . I'm actually putting my new axles in this week , so I'll take lots of pics ...

Diesels you say ? I love diesels , that's my daily

OP
OP
A

adamv7010

Reaction score
Yes, diesel. My dd is a 650whp 6.0. What do you dd?

OP
OP
A

adamv7010

Reaction score
650whp 6.0? I like....

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Lol yes. If you know much about diesels....you'll understand what follows this....

I'm running...

Of course , studded & deleted.

225/100 injectors...(in one injection event, they will flow 225mm^3 of fuel at 100% faster than the stock nozzles allow)

A big single (Borg s375)

As well as supporting mods...full billet 5r110, smith bros push rods and springs...colt cam...a1000 fueling with a regulated return...I do have an .83 jet but haven't done any nitrous runs yet. It should be around 740-760 on spray...I'm at the point where my OEM rods are my limiting factor..

Can I tow? Very little. Can I make a true 650whp on the street? Yes, but its not reliable for obvious reasons.

My daily tune dynoed 585a few months ago. A full race file did 651 at the the same time, without a trans relearn , so its likely to be a little higher after a good relearn.

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
I've gotta 2008 cummins 3500 . I used to have my old mans 2002 7.3 powerstroke dually , old bastard missed it so much after 2 years with out it , I bought a new truck and he got his truck back .

KillNThrill24

Legend
Reaction score
Lol yes. If you know much about diesels....you'll understand what follows this....

I'm running...

Of course , studded & deleted.

225/100 injectors...(in one injection event, they will flow 225mm^3 of fuel at 100% faster than the stock nozzles allow)

A big single (Borg s375)

As well as supporting mods...full billet 5r110, smith bros push rods and springs...colt cam...a1000 fueling with a regulated return...I do have an .83 jet but haven't done any nitrous runs yet. It should be around 740-760 on spray...I'm at the point where my OEM rods are my limiting factor..

Can I tow? Very little. Can I make a true 650whp on the street? Yes, but its not reliable for obvious reasons.

My daily tune dynoed 585a few months ago. A full race file did 651 at the the same time, without a trans relearn , so its likely to be a little higher after a good relearn.

Yeah I bet towing is a nightmare in that thing. Your mods aren't exactly tow friendly. But lucky for you you're studded and deleted. I highly doubt it would have lasted this long without it lol you would have stretched those bolts and warped the heads long ago.

I'm in a 6.0 myself right now. Not mine tho and not studded or deleted. Just an intake tuner and exhaust on it. Plenty fun and tows like a champ

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
Yeah I bet towing is a nightmare in that thing. Your mods aren't exactly tow friendly. But lucky for you you're studded and deleted. I highly doubt it would have lasted this long without it lol you would have stretched those bolts and warped the heads long ago.

I'm in a 6.0 myself right now. Not mine tho and not studded or deleted. Just an intake tuner and exhaust on it. Plenty fun and tows like a champ

I tow tow like a mofo with my old mans dually I just change it to the tow tune . I've towed my car on the trailer with my truck , there's literally nothing back there . With the 7.3 with 6" lift on 35's I towed a 7.3 ambulance heavy as **** with a pretty serious trailer a lot of miles and that's a lot of weight and the truck still never struggled once

KillNThrill24

Legend
Reaction score
I tow tow like a mofo with my old mans dually I just change it to the tow tune . I've towed my car on the trailer with my truck , there's literally nothing back there . With the 7.3 with 6" lift on 35's I towed a 7.3 ambulance heavy as **** with a pretty serious trailer a lot of miles and that's a lot of weight and the truck still never struggled once

My old man's 7.3 is the same way man. It's not even tuned but I towed a dead 6.0 excursion on a 40ft flatbed and it hauled quite well. Gotta love 7.3s!

OP
OP
A

adamv7010

Reaction score

What tuner do you use?

Yea studs are absolutely necessary for ANY deviation from a stock built 6.0 PSD. Hell every 6.0 & 6.4 I lift the cab on, be it for a hpfp on a 6.4 or whatever the case is...gets studded with new gaskets.

But that need is old news.

9/10 times a stock engine with a health oil cooler and either an egr delete or an upgraded egr cooler will be fine.

But back on topic, I will be needing a new front bumper for the gt.

I thought of a cobra front...but I dk what's really 'too much' when it comes to cobra parts on a non cobra car.

Like throwing a powerstroke badge on a 5.4 triton f250. Lol

But for visual reasons....

e6uty3ys.jpg

Po said he closed the hood on a tool and dented it..and replaced it with the one you see...not sure why but regardless it'll get new paint and aligned properly. The bumper clip is broken on the drivers side...hard to see in the pic but its just hanging on...I'm responsible for that Lol. Don't ask.

I will need a couple various interior pieces as well...

Question, we have a pull it yourself yard local...with a ton of mustangs..but most are 6cyl cars...

Will the console bezels and snap in pieces interchange between the 6cyl cars and the gts?

KillNThrill24

Legend
Reaction score
What tuner do you use?

Yea studs are absolutely necessary for ANY deviation from a stock built 6.0 PSD. Hell every 6.0 & 6.4 I lift the cab on, be it for a hpfp on a 6.4 or whatever the case is...gets studded with new gaskets.

9/10 times a stock engine with a health oil cooler and either an egr delete or an upgraded egr cooler will be fine.

I thought of a cobra front...but I dk what's really 'too much' when it comes to cobra parts on a non cobra car.

e6uty3ys.jpg

Po said he closed the hood on a tool and dented it..and replaced it with the one you see...not sure why but regardless it'll get new paint and aligned properly. The bumper clip is broken on the drivers side...hard to see in the pic but its just hanging on...I'm responsible for that Lol. Don't ask.

Edge juice with attitude. Like I said it's not mine I'm just borrowing it. I would have gone with an SCT with a custom tune personally but it still gets out of its own way. It definitely gets the job done. I'm sure I'll be studding it before all is said and done but I don't have a lift so I can't pull the cab

OP
OP
A

adamv7010

Reaction score
Edge juice with attitude. Like I said it's not mine I'm just borrowing it. I would have gone with an SCT with a custom tune personally but it still gets out of its own way. It definitely gets the job done. I'm sure I'll be studding it before all is said and done but I don't have a lift so I can't pull the cab

It can be done in the frame...but its obnoxious as hell. The back studs are the problems.

I have seen guys use a piece of equip and sling the cab...something like a lull or backhoe with a long arm. The cabs are pretty light weight
Yes an SCT is your best option for a 6.0. Edge is hard on the transmission due to its lack of TCM tuning abilities.

SVTstang96

Reaction score
What tuner do you use?

e6uty3ys.jpg

I will need a couple various interior pieces as well...

Question, we have a pull it yourself yard local...with a ton of mustangs..but most are 6cyl cars...

Will the console bezels and snap in pieces interchange between the 6cyl cars and the gts?

Yes most interior parts between v6/GT/cobra parts are interchangeable. Actually most of these parts are interchangeable from 94-04. I am not sure if your local junkyard is reasonable on price or not (IK mine isnt) but you should check out my small business. I can usually beat junkyard prices and you wont ever have to leave your hose for parts. Click on the photo in my signature to be directed to my facebook page.

OP
OP
A

adamv7010

Reaction score
Yes most interior parts between v6/GT/cobra parts are interchangeable. Actually most of these parts are interchangeable from 94-04. I am not sure if your local junkyard is reasonable on price or not (IK mine isnt) but you should check out my small business. I can usually beat junkyard prices and you wont ever have to leave your hose for parts. Click on the photo in my signature to be directed to my facebook page.

I most definitely will. I'm using tapa talk and can't see sigs. Can you post a link?

SVTstang96

Reaction score
Just 'liked' it. I'll compile a list over the next couple days and get it to ya. Like I stated there are a few things I want to fix before changing anything.

sounds good. I tend to give forum members a pretty good deal also if they purchase more then one part. I can cut down on shipping cost this way and pass it onto the customers. If you don't see a part listed just ask anyways, I tend to have a lot of parts that are not listed so you just never know I could have it.

OP
OP
A

adamv7010

Reaction score
sounds good. I tend to give forum members a pretty good deal also if they purchase more then one part. I can cut down on shipping cost this way and pass it onto the customers. If you don't see a part listed just ask anyways, I tend to have a lot of parts that are not listed so you just never know I could have it.

10-4. I'll definitely check with you first. Most of what I'll start with will be larger cosmetic parts that of which shipping would probably kill the deal. But I'll check regardless. Thanks again!

One think I know I will need are edelbrock and NOS decals...I could benefit from the gained rwhp from them. :rolleyes:

Those high end mufflers from auto zone will fit my car right? You know...the ones with the big tips...:D

OP
OP
A

adamv7010

Reaction score
A small update...

I know what the op hit with the car now...the big ball of deer fur gave it away Lol.

I noticed that the headlight brackets are bent a little, nothing major.

I'm going to take it to my body guy later in the week and get some quotes...

I may decide to do the r&r myself and just have him spray it..depends on what its going to cost. If I do decide to do this, I'll likely remove the fenders, hood and bumper, fix what's broken or incorrect and reassemble and send it to be sprayed.

I've been pondering a paint scheme...I though of leaving the sides the OEM true blue and do the hood, top, and trunk lid in some shade of metallic silver, that way the door jambs will still match with what's existing. Opinions?

These plans are still tentative and may change all together, since I got what I feel is a good price on the car, I've got a little room to spend a little on it, although wife wasn't super ecstatic when I brought the new toy home. Lol

I think it'll grow on her.

I pulled the IAC off tonight and cleaned it a little. That smoothed the idle out a bit so I'll replace that soon and order an extra to have on the shelf.

I have noticed a slight 'tick' coming from what seems to be the rear of the engine/front of the trans. After resesrching a bit it seems to be fairly common. A couple guys have found a plug loose, that when tightened, fixed it. So I'll look for the obvious first. It really sounds to me like an exhaust leak. It will be getting a different exhaust soon anyway, so if that's the culprit it'll be remedied at that time.

Until then...

4eryvyvu.jpg

Along with my next ls swap :)

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
nice toy!!

so, check out this thread for common problems:
http://www.sn95forums.com/showthread.php?60029-Common-4-6L-V8-2V-Problems

also, you should purchase a rebuild kit for the differential while its out:
(any of our sponsors can help you out with purchasing with a discount.
http://www.latemodelrestoration.com...88-Traction-Lok-Rebuild-Kit-with-Carbon-Discs )

along with that you'll need the diffy fluid, ford racing posi-additive fluid, and I suggest servicing your u-joints.

One way to tell if it is tuned is to pull the passenger side foot-pannel under the dash. You'll see the computer there. If it has a chip, its been tuned. The diablo sport chip on my '04 is too large to even fit in the box, so it's blatantly obvious -- not sure on SCT or other brands' chips.

As for the tick, spitting plugs is common on many years of the modular platform. If you hear a tick you can inspect the plugs to see if a thread was crossed during the last install, or pull the wire and try and feel air coming from the cylinder during operation (leaking past the plug).

If it's a plug, I suggest fixing the threads now, opposed to waiting to be stranded on the side of the road. You can buy a spark plug insert kit from NAPA, or off the internet, to replace the threads.

If its an exhaust leak, I suggest fel-pro gaskets. They are nice and meaty (thats what she said) and they have yet to fail me. Whereas Kooks gaskets have.

Glad you tracked down some of the issues! On the bright side, you've got a good start on a new bed-spread for the wife: "See babe, deer-fur quilt! And you said the mustang was a bad idea...."

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Staff online

Members online