Just picked up some cobra calipers!

07GtS197

Reaction score
I was browsing ebay the other day looking for cobra brakes when I came upon these.
e4f2a2db578efb879cbd1d9990e8e8b0.jpg

The seller stated they came off of a 98 cobra but they look like bullitt calipers (pretty much the same except the paint) which have smaller pistons than 99+ cobra calipers. Also in this thread (https://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/threads/whats-the-difference-in-cobra-front-calipers.833923/ ) it shows that the 98 cobra calipers have cooling fins around the pistons while mine do not more like the mach 1 calipers. Anyway I could care less, I only paid 120 for them so I cant complain, as long as theyre in good shape. They look to be good just a little dirty. I can get new calipers for less than 100 bucks from rockauto so Ill be into it for a little over 200 bucks. I can’t complain. And it could’nt have come at a better time, my 02 has been sitting since I’ve been so damn busy. I got it rolling again and sure enough the passenger side front caliper is locking up again... this is the second time but now I have better calipers to throw on it. For all of you that have done the swap what do you think? Is it that much better than the stock pbr’s? I have 6 piston brembos on my 17 gt and I know its not going to be as good as them but if its even half as good I’d be happy.

13a80a34f6bc0e1d7e9071f8575582c9.jpg
6944d3670923e64345cd7b6b40aca9e8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

01yellercobra

Reaction score
So you bought those to use as a core? Or are you going to rebuild them?

OP
OP
07GtS197

07GtS197

Reaction score
I plan on trying to run them as is, theres not much to go bad in them so I see no need to get brand new ones or rebuild these.

Wood's 5.0

Reaction score
Yep. Those are off a Bullitt; prolly '01brakes1.JPG . I have the same setup on mine. They made a world of difference over the stock setup.

OP
OP
07GtS197

07GtS197

Reaction score
Thats badass. I wonder if the seller didnt know what he had or what. I’m still waiting to get rotors and them I’llbtry them out. Anything is better than the stock gt brakes lol.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
if your waiting for parts, why not use the time to be sure that they are ok and rebuild them or have them rebuild? I agree that there isn't much that can go wrong but the penalty for failure could be pretty high if something does go wrong. The other thought to consider is that IF something does go wrong you will have to take off the wheels and remove the caliper/drain the system and then you get to enjoy the bleeding game all over again after rebuilding them.

OP
OP
07GtS197

07GtS197

Reaction score
I understand how they work but how could I test them without installing them? Also this car is pretty much a project so it won’t see any sort of real driving just yet, I should be able to feel if anything is wrong on one of its shakedown runs down the street.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
well yea I agree if something is wrong you should be able to feel it. Question is I guess how much you end up feeling I mean its going to stop one way or another? From what I have seen its not really that big of a deal to strip/rebuild while you wait but again if you get them on the car and notice problems then you will be back at step one. I mean you really do not have much of a history on them right? Just assuming that they are good.....

OP
OP
07GtS197

07GtS197

Reaction score
Right I know nothing about them. I could always buy a rebuild kit in the meantime. Do you know if they have steel or phenolic (sp?) pistons? I’m thinking a hone, reseal and lube is all it’ll need to be rebuilt?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
thats about it unless you start to get crazy and think about paint or powder. Go on DO IT GET CA-RAAAAAZY MAN I DOUBLE DOG DARE YA....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online