Just purchased 96 GT W/Vortech /V1 S Trim having big time issues help!

Freefallin

Reaction score
Picked up a 96 GT yesterday but having issues. Its smoking badly at WOT (white primarily), is rich as hell @ anywhere from 11-17 lbs on the AEM A/F gauge, smells rich at idle but just smells burnt at and after WOT, not sure it smells like fuel or what.

Right when my buddy and I got it home after the 250 mile track back ffom
Washington to Oregon, we noticed fresh oil on the passenger side valve cover, top of the TB, blower and electrical plug directly under the blower charge pipe (the pipe that runs from the blower to the TB/Intake).

I need some help figuring out what the issue is with oil getting everywhere, why it blows white smoke at WOT and what the fix is. Is it safe to drive? Should I take it directly to a tuner to have them throw it on the dyno to see what the issue might be? I don't have money to do this, but if it's required, I'll have to.

Mods and questions to go along with them:
-PI Windsor heads
-BBK LTs
-BBK Catless H
-Turbo mufflers dumped
-Alky Control Meth Kit w/Vortech Aftercooler
-Edelbrock Vic Jr. Sir gap manifold w/elbow
-Edelbrock fuel lines
-Aeromotive fuel pump
-Accufab 90mm TB
-AEM Wideband
-Vortech Power Pipe

1.) Car is currently running a 2.75" 8 rib pulley allegedly making 14 PSI. Should I throw the 3.13" 6 rib back on with a new belt so it's safer to run? I think it was supposed to make 6 or 7 lbs with this pulley . Any idea what my psi would drop down to?

2.) Alky Control meth kit w/Vortech Aftercooler. The owner told me he's been running it at 6 on the dial. Have to prime the Alky anywhere from 3-4 times and have to repeat the process something 3 or 4 times of trying to crank for her to finally fire. What should I be running this at?

3.) the car is not intercooled. I was looking into the CX Racig 3 car kit w/BOV, as I understand it will drop PSI down a couple of lbs but you'll maintain power levels with less risk. If I intercool the car, which of the 2 pulleys would I run to make no more than 10 psi so the short block doesn't blow up?

4.) Should I take it to Chung at Blue Oval to get on the dyno before doing any of this? If j make a pulley change to the larger size, would the car run less psi and would I need to have it tuned ASAP or could I drive it with no ill effects?

Thomas_W

Reaction score
Asking for people to diagnose a problem with only words is like asking a blind man to explain what blue looks like. Pictures man, pictures!

OP
OP
F

Freefallin

Reaction score
Asking for people to diagnose a problem with only words is like asking a blind man to explain what blue looks like. Pictures man, pictures!

It says I can't post photos with my permission settings. I thought I was able to post photos with my phone but apparently I can't? I will have to see if my wife has her work laptop so I can post a few.

Would a video help of the car running?

Sean

Thomas_W

Reaction score
It says I can't post photos with my permission settings. I thought I was able to post photos with my phone but apparently I can't? I will have to see if my wife has her work laptop so I can post a few.

Would a video help of the car running?

Sean

Yea not sure on the photos thing. I dont think a video would help, but i definitely would NOT drive the car for now.

First thing i would do is pull any PCV and crankcase vent lines off the supercharger setup to eliminate that source of oil. After that i would pull the supercharger discharge pipe that goes to the Throttle body off and inspect the inside of it for oil. If there is oil, clean it out. Then pull the S/C inlet tube off and check that tube for oil. Also while all of that is off, inspect inside the S/C for oil on the impeller and on the inside of the housing.

does the car have one of the vortec fuel management things on it? (Should be a Big device between the fuel rail and fuel line with a vacuum line running to it)?

If you didnt get a tuner with the car, i would also pull the computer out to inspect it for a chip. If no tuner or chip. I would take it to a local tuner ASAP to get it tuned as that will likely solve the drivability and fuel smell problems.

OP
OP
F

Freefallin

Reaction score
Oil on top of the TB:

Oil just below some kind of plug on the underside of the blower charge piping that runs to the TB:

Showing the plug I am referring to. I am not sure what this is, so please educate me. Oil is sitting on the plug and dripping onto the frame:

Oil on the blower:

Oil on the passenger side valve cover:

I believe this would be the fill plug but please correct me if I am wrong - Oil on this in clearly in the recession :

Just further zoomed out on what I believe is the fill plug - Oil sitting in inside the recession:

More clear photo of the setup:

Shes ugly for now but will get paint after I get her running right. Couple quick shots of the car on the way home:

Head lights are going to be for sale soon. They fit like crap so not sure if they were installed correctly:

Let me know what you guys think.

Sean

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Check your oil levels man. Im assuming (im not a supercharger guy) the head unit is fed oil,...so you should have oil loss.

Thomas_W

Reaction score
Were is the hose connected to that is on the PCV valve going?

and where does the hose connected to the driver side valve cover vent going?

OP
OP
F

Freefallin

Reaction score
Check your oil levels man. Im assuming (im not a supercharger guy) the head unit is fed oil,...so you should have oil loss.

Are you referring to the blower oil levels? I am brand new to supercharged applications and don't know how to do this yet.

Sweet ride man!

Thanks.

Were is the hose connected to that is on the PCV valve going?

The PCV hose run to a fitting on the passenger side of the intake manifold. There is a hexegonal bolt the hose T's to, and then runs from the intake manifold to the firewall. Could this be for my boost gauge?

and where does the hose connected to the driver side valve cover vent going?

It runs around the back of the engine to the Power Pipe.

It sounds like I am having a case of blow by which is passing through the piston rings and causing oil to end up in places it shouldn't. Can someone explain the process to cure this? I understand it's a matter of either a catch can or some kind of breather setup. Can anyone give me more info on the breather setup? Would it be safe to say that the white smoke at WOT is from the blow by?

Sean

OP
OP
F

Freefallin

Reaction score
Quick update. Drove the car around the block about 2 miles just driving easy and still oil on the front of the blower in the same spot as per the above photos. Gotta get this figured out and taken to the tuner ASAP. Help guys!

Sean

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Why is your finger in that pic of the engine bay? Your finger is next to the pvc port on top of valve cover. Is it not plumbed into something?

OP
OP
F

Freefallin

Reaction score
I was pointing at it in reference to a prior question. It runs to a fitting on the back of the intake manifold.

Ssan

OP
OP
F

Freefallin

Reaction score
Struggling with what kind of catch can setup to run. Please help if you wouldn't mind guys. Should I delete PCV altogether and run both valve covers to a vented catch can? If I went this route, I could have to plug the hole left in the intake manifold and the hole left in the power pipe where the drivers side valve cover is currently plumbed to.

My buddy is saying I can put a breather in place of
the oil filler cap and then just keep the PCV and run an oil
separator like the Steeda kit but im not understanding how this would work...

Links, photos and advice/experience appreciated

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Man, this is a tough one.

Without being in front of the car, watching whats going on...its hard to pin down the problem. Your best bet is to find a good solid forced induction knowledge base and present your problem there. Oil all over the engine bay tells me something is opened up to allow high psi oil spray. Most oil coverage in those pics is on the head unit. I would suspect a feed line or seals gaskets of the sort

95GT86SS

Reaction score
You sure it's white smoke? Also is the head unit a sealed one or one that's plumbed into the car's oil system? Have you started the car and looked to see where the oil is coming from? There's a lot of possibilities to fix it. I agree with Thomas. Delete the PCV system to eliminate that one. But from the pics I'd suspect failing gaskets/seals on that head unit.

95 GT BBK CAI TB MSD 6AL O/R H SLP LM1
Coming soon GT40 Heads Intake and e303 cam with Long tubes

OP
OP
F

Freefallin

Reaction score
I personally would delete the pcv system

So would you just run both valve covers to a vented catch can? What would I use to plug the intake manifold hole and Power Pipe hole? Is there a a catch can or oil separator you like or a kit you recommend? If piecing together and building myself, what kind of fitting and hose should I run?

You sure it's white smoke? Also is the head unit a sealed one or one that's plumbed into the car's oil system? Have you started the car and looked to see where the oil is coming from? There's a lot of possibilities to fix it. I agree with Thomas. Delete the PCV system to eliminate that one. But from the pics I'd suspect failing gaskets/seals on that head unit.

Everyone I talk to says it blow by getting past the piston rings. I'll call Vortech right now but im pretty sure it's blow by...

Sean

95GT86SS

Reaction score
The fact that it's under the hood wouldn't be blow by. In the engine itself, yes, but also under the hood means it's got a external leak as well. Unless it's sucking the oil up from the pcv system and burning it. But still doesn't explain the oil everywhere under the hood.

Internal gasket failure on that head unit that's allowing oil into the air intake system would explain the smoke. Same gasket failure also letting oil out into the engine bay is a good possibility. Pull the air inlet at the TB and look for oil.

95 GT BBK CAI TB MSD 6AL O/R H SLP LM1
Coming soon GT40 Heads Intake and e303 cam with Long tubes

OP
OP
F

Freefallin

Reaction score
The fact that it's under the hood wouldn't be blow by. In the engine itself, yes, but also under the hood means it's got a external leak as well. Unless it's sucking the oil up from the pcv system and burning it. But still doesn't explain the oil everywhere under the hood.

Internal gasket failure on that head unit that's allowing oil into the air intake system would explain the smoke. Same gasket failure also letting oil out into the engine bay is a good possibility. Pull the air inlet at the TB and look for oil.

I have talked with several friends with blown setups and just got off the phone with Vortech and also agreed that it was likely blow by. And the oil is "everywhere" or on the underside of the hood or anything, just small pools here and there as per the above photos.

Sean

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online

No members online now.