just put my poly trany mount in

TripleBlack

Reaction score
for eberyone than has poly's does your car vibrate alot more omg i would hate to see solids.....

BradleyJP

Reaction score
TripleBlack said:
For everyone than has poly's does your car vibrate a lot more omg i would hate to see solids.....

I have heard that the transmission mount, being the closest to the driver's seat, will originate more NVH (noise-vibration-harshness) than the two engine mounts. However, I've also heard that merely changing that one mount causes the majority of the benefits associated with stiffer mounts.

How bad is the vibration?

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
I remember hearing if you get a bad vibration from your tranny mount that your driveshaft might be out of balance...

ga94gt

Reaction score
I cant tell much difference from my stock ones to my ES mounts

Prdbyford1

Reaction score
I am actually having the very same problem. I put the motor mounts in and cannot get the engine to sit all the way down in the k-member. I had this issue with the original mounts as well. I just put the tranny mount in today and it smoothed out at idle, but I have a very bad vibration starting at 2000 rpms. I am so sick of the car right now I am about to take it to a shop! Don't mean to pirate the thread, but I figured since we are having the same issues any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

ga94gt

Reaction score
They do raise the motor up about 3/8 of an inch

BradleyJP

Reaction score
ga94gt said:

Can anyone else back this up? I feel like throwing the balance off even that much could cause a decent vibration.

NERD

Reaction score
BradleyJP said:
ga94gt said:

Can anyone else back this up? I feel like throwing the balance off even that much could cause a decent vibration.

The only way it would raise the engine 3/8s is if the rubber was blown out from the original mm. If it does, for some reason raise the engine up, it would be because it was done on purpose and at that point the manufacturer would explain why it was a good idea as a selling point. (and everyone would know and mindlessly regurgitate it) Unless the stock design was flawed (which it wasn't) it would be a bad idea because of the change in angle of the ds and pinion.

Prdbyford1

Reaction score
I had already heard that the Prothanes raise the motor some, but shouldn't the studs sit all the way down in the k-member? The originals did until this last time I unbolted the motor to get my bell housing in. Then only one side would sit down properly, which is exactly what the Prothanes are doing. I have found nothing holding the motor up either. The rubber trans mount is going back in until this gets resolved, at least it was a little better.

BigTang

Reaction score
the poly mounts soften up a little over time and its not so bad but its fairly rough for the first month or so.

The energy suspension mounts are similar in height to the "vert" mounts, the prothane mounts are the none drop mounts. depending on the style originally in the car that could be your variation, assuming that the fox body mounts are the same as the SN95s.

BradleyJP

Reaction score
sxynerd said:
BradleyJP said:
ga94gt said:

The only way it would raise the engine 3/8s is if the rubber was blown out from the original mm.  If it does, for some reason raise the engine up, it would be because it was done on purpose and at that point the manufacturer would explain why it was a good idea as a selling point. (and everyone would know and mindlessly regurgitate it)  Unless the stock design was flawed (which it wasn't) it would be a bad idea because of the change in angle of the ds and pinion.

See, I thought I knew something!  :thumbsup:

BigTang said:
the poly mounts soften up a little over time and its not so bad but its fairly rough for the first month or so.

The energy suspension mounts are similar in height to the "vert" mounts, the prothane mounts are the none drop mounts. depending on the style originally in the car that could be your variation, assuming that the fox body mounts are the same as the SN95s.

Are convertible mounts taller or shorter than coupe mounts? And when you say this you are talking about SN-95s, right? You're last statement confused me:

BigTang said:
...assuming that the fox body mounts are the same as the SN95s.

Because I believe that Prdbyford1 wasn't refering to his 1989 GT, but the 1995 GTS also mentioned in his signature...

BigTang

Reaction score
BradleyJP said:
BigTang said:

Are convertible mounts taller or shorter than coupe mounts? And when you say this you are talking about SN-95s, right? You're last statement confused me:

BigTang said:
...assuming that the fox body mounts are the same as the SN95s.

Because I believe that Prdbyford1 wasn't refering to his 1989 GT, but the 1995 GTS also mentioned in his signature...

The energy suspension motor mounts are the same from 79-95. The 79-89ish fox body STOCK motor mounts came in 2 flavors hard top and convertible. the vert mounts were about 1" shorter than the early hard top mounts. After 90 all mounts were the vert style. so if you put in prothane mounts you have a taller motor mount than your stock one in an SN95 because prothanes are styled after the 89 and older hardtop mounts.

NERD

Reaction score
The vert mount and cross bar I believe is staggered and the Hartop is linear on the Y. At least thats true for 96. Also Cobra Mounts are different.

fordtech

Reaction score
I had the poly mounts for the engine and tranny and it vibrated alot I was told since the transmission crossmember bolts directly to the body and doesnt have bushings the poly mount on the transmission was going to make the normal engine vibration feel through the car.I swapped out the tranmission mount and put the stocker back on and the vibration went away.

NERD

Reaction score
fordtech said:
I had the poly mounts for the engine and tranny and it vibrated alot I was told since the transmission crossmember bolts directly to the body and doesnt have bushings the poly mount on the transmission was going to make the normal engine vibration feel through the car.I swapped out the tranmission mount and put the stocker back on and the vibration went away.

Yeah, I kept the stock trans mount since I just replaced it last year but I upgraded the MM's to Solid. I still haven't finished putting it back together so I can't say how it feels but I'm hoping the Trans mount absorbs some of the NVH. I am also putting my Isolators back in just in case. lol

Prdbyford1

Reaction score
Sorry I haven't replied in awhile, school work and all, but yeah I was referring to my 95 GTS. I put the old rubber one back in and it eliminated the vibration at 2000 rpm's, but I still have the throbbing vibration in any gear around 1500. It got worse when I unbolted the motor and attempted to get it to sit all the way down in the k-member. It is cocked to the driver side now and is a little worse. Just need to time to get it to my buddies shop to take a look at what is going on.

Prdbyford1

Reaction score
Not sure, I would assume ok since this only started when I put the motor mounts in, but then again, who knows LOL. When I tried to shift the motor in the k-member, it changes the vibration each time. Usually though, as I am driving it seems to be a throbbing vibration. At idle it is just plain rough.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alida81

Members online