K member swap.. need advice.

FivepointSlow

Reaction score
So I'm having my car towed back to my friends house so we can get it running perfectly and finish up the suspension..

I have my a arms, just bought some camber bolts and bushings for the a arms, all I need to buy is the k member.

We do not have an engine hoist.. but we do have several jackstands (4 I beleive.. and I can borrow up to 4 more from my next door neighbor so we have plenty) and we have 2 floor jacks... what is the best way to replace my stock k member with a tubular one?

Is there a super easy way that maybe someone who has done this can let me in on? I'm not sure what the best way to support the motor while doing this is.. and if there's a way to not have to unbolt the steering rack.

All help would be appreciated!

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Chain around two headers and use the engine hoist to hold it in place. use one jack stand under the bell housing for good measure.

Drop the wheels, a arms, struts, and k member as a single unit. do it slowly until the springs are completely decompressed

Remember to hang the calipers up before you drop the suspension....

alex302

Reaction score
you dont need and hoist. just make sure you dont damage the oil pan.

RichV

Reaction score
Just be careful. Mickey mousing a project this big can go wrong, and people get hurt. I had a good friend get crushed under a car doing an oil change. Died.

Can you rent a hoist? Buddy or auto parts place? Look at Craigs, HF, etc?

OP
OP
FivepointSlow

FivepointSlow

Reaction score
you dont need and hoist. just make sure you dont damage the oil pan.

I was thinking something like this might work.. except I'd want to drop the motor on jackstands instead of leaving it on a floor jack.. always a chance it could fail even though there's not that much weight on it compared to having a car on it.
Just be careful. Mickey mousing a project this big can go wrong, and people get hurt. I had a good friend get crushed under a car doing an oil change. Died.

Can you rent a hoist? Buddy or auto parts place? Look at Craigs, HF, etc?
I'll bet he wasn't using jackstands.. sorry to hear about your loss.. that's a terribly way to go.
AS rich said. Look at an equipment rental places near you.
I'll have to look around. Maybe Taylor rental or something has them.. didn't even think places rented those out. I have a buddy that lives 4 doors down from me that has an engine hoist but he is currently in Missouri for the navy... so I can't get it until another month or so when he comes home.

Cpotts13

Reaction score
I was thinking something like this might work.. except I'd want to drop the motor on jackstands instead of leaving it on a floor jack.. always a chance it could fail even though there's not that much weight on it compared to having a car on it.

I'll bet he wasn't using jackstands.. sorry to hear about your loss.. that's a terribly way to go.

I'll have to look around. Maybe Taylor rental or something has them.. didn't even think places rented those out. I have a buddy that lives 4 doors down from me that has an engine hoist but he is currently in Missouri for the navy... so I can't get it until another month or so when he comes home.
Harbor freight has them for 80 or so..

kb1982

Reaction score
If you have a tree anywhere close that has a big limb on it, you can use a chain hoist attached to it to support the engine. Just make sure to put wooden blocks under the jackstands. Tractor with a bucket on it or a rear boom works also if you happen to have one.

BigBore96

Reaction score
When I swapped my k member out I put a jackstand under the front bellhousing area where it bolts to the block. Works like a charm and won't damage anything. You also don't have to worry about a Jack losing pressure and lowering.

alex302

Reaction score
If you have a tree anywhere close that has a big limb on it, you can use a chain hoist attached to it to support the engine. Just make sure to put wooden blocks under the jackstands. Tractor with a bucket on it or a rear boom works also if you happen to have one.

Tractor does work :)

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
We don't have an engine hoist... that's my main concern is supporting the engine without a hoist... first thing that comes to mind is supporting it from the oil pan buy I'd have to do so carefully to not damage it..

i totally mis-read your post. lol. i thought it said you had one.

on that note, be sure to use a tranny-jack on the bell-housing. No questions about it. they're like $35.00 from harbor freight. additionally, anything you can do to hold it from the top would be beneficial.....

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
Just use a 4x4 from fender apron to fender apron . With some chain or straps around the headers if you don't gotta engine hoist

kb1982

Reaction score
Just use a 4x4 from fender apron to fender apron . With some chain or straps around the headers if you don't gotta engine hoist

The method for holding up them sideways sitting engines completely eluded us for a couple days.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vallybell

Members online