K members

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I am still kicking around the idea of swapping it out now while the motor is out and I am just curious what brands you would say to get or stay away from? It will mainly be a street car but it will see a track from time to time and with all the weight I put on it I am just trying to save a few pounds where I can. I found an AJE on CL here locally are they as cheap as their price? Its listed for $200 is that a good deal? He also has a set of gears I might try to do a package deal with since mine is stock. Any opinions on brand/quality?

95opal

Reaction score
Scott i would pass on that.. mamotorsports or teamz would be my first two recomendations .

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
obviously either of those would do. Maybe I will get lucky and the other one that didn't list the brand is one of those two but the way karma works for me its doubtable. Not sure if I want to pull the trigger on it yet as I would like to go with the shockwaves from ridetech if/when the finally come out so I can start upgrading the suspension pieces. I would need to either stick the K in the corner till the shockwaves came out or make a mount for the bags that would be later removed for the shockwaves.

slow90coupe

Reaction score
UPR here on both of my cars, not a single problem. I've also had an AJE, and it was very nice too.

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I have heard mixed reactions from both but I have never understooc what the bad points are that either do happen or could happen to the cheaper ones.

slow90coupe

Reaction score
This question is basically like asking "what exhaust is best". Everyone will have different responses.

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
absolutely and my experience with them is moot and they are only really covered in small sections at any time. So I know some of the names, I know some of the prices. That is why I asked who is using XXXXX or stopped using XXXX to help me get a little better idea other then their color. All opinions and comments welcomed. Almost like is a forum er something :)

rz5.0

Legend
Reaction score
I have upr.. it's not bad.. if I was too do it again tho. I would go for a MM or Griggs. .. Griggs comes with a lifetime warranty. .

rz5.0

Legend
Reaction score
From the Griggs website [MENTION=8293]OnyxCobra[/MENTION]
" Due to the strict control in our in house manufacturing facility you can count on the fact that our K-members will bolt on with perfect fit and stand up to your durability requirements whether you use your vehicle as a daily driver or as a dedicated track car.*"

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
why tag me? I'm not lookin for a K member lol. Just know some companies actually build a K member they say shouldn't be driven on the street, what a joke. and if AJE builds their K members anything like my T56 crossmember, I'd pass on that.

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Do other brands say their K-member are street legal? Or do they not comment about it?

I believe most companies say not to use the member on the street because of legal issues. I don't think its terribly easy to get aftermarket parts passed as street legal. I bet most of us have a part thats not techinically street legal. I have a HAL or UPR, cant remember which. Its was a fairly cheap one. I haven't died yet. I bet you they're all stronger than stock.

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
Do other brands say their K-member are street legal? Or do they not comment about it?

I believe most companies say not to use the member on the street because of legal issues. I don't think its terribly easy to get aftermarket parts passed as street legal. I bet most of us have a part thats not techinically street legal. I have a HAL or UPR, cant remember which. Its was a fairly cheap one. I haven't died yet. I bet you they're all stronger than stock.

Griggs and MM both say they are okay for street use.

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Griggs and MM both say they are okay for street use.

where does MM? I couldnt find that.
Haven't checked griggs.

Edit: Found it

The result is a Mustang K-member with the strength to handle drag race launches and wheel stands, road race use, and of course, the rigors of daily street driving.

It doesn't specifically say street legal though.

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
would never saw them inspect anything as deep as a K on my car in phoenix. I do want one that will work on the street obviously as that is where it will be most of the time. Wonder if there is enough to try a group buy?

rz5.0

Legend
Reaction score
why tag me? I'm not lookin for a K member lol. Just know some companies actually build a K member they say shouldn't be driven on the street, what a joke. and if AJE builds their K members anything like my T56 crossmember, I'd pass on that.
I know your not looking for one. . I thought you were taking about the options I listed. .

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Not here. We have no emissions.
There's lots of things that aren't technically street legal. Exhaust, nitrous, kmember...

Companies usually have no street use or off road use only because of laws. Or in the US probably to protect themselves because let's face it, you guys sue each other over anything possible...

But that's not the point. I haven't seen any actual data or stories about the affordable kmemebers being bad. By all means, get a mm if you can. But I wouldn't be too concerned with a name brand affordable member.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alida81

Members online