K&N CAI and Air Temp Sensor

heffe2001

Reaction score
I picked up a used K&N CAI from someone on another forum, and apparently they had it on an 02+, that didn't need the hole drilled for the separate air temp sensor. They didn't include the rubber grommet for it (I'm assuming they tossed it since they didn't need it). On my '00 GT I have a separate sensor, but no place to put it on this particular CAI. I was planning on putting it on this weekend (going to ditch my cheap in-fender CAI for the K&N, have had issues with the filter in the fenderwell). I found the K&N grommet I need on Summit (for like .97, but 4.95 shipping, lol), and have it ordered, but it won't come in until sometime next week.

My question is, will it hurt anything to have the sensor plugged in, but tied up beside the CAI tubing? It'd be temporary, just until I get in the proper grommet and add the hole required (it's not been drilled yet). Or should I wait until it comes in to install it? If I had my preference, I'd switch over to a MAF with it integrated, and wire it into the plug, but trying to cut costs where I can at the moment. I wouldn't THINK it'd be a problem, it'll just read the air temp a bit higher than it really is, so I'm hoping it won't be an issue...

Caboose302

Reaction score
Mine fell out because it didnt have a grommet in it and ran like crap, but also had a hole after the MAF so it was getting unmetered air. Question is, are you in that big of a hurry? You'll have to take it off anyway to drill the hole, unless you want plastic shavings going through your engine. I'd wait until the grommet gets in.

OP
OP
H

heffe2001

Reaction score
Mine fell out because it didnt have a grommet in it and ran like crap, but also had a hole after the MAF so it was getting unmetered air. Question is, are you in that big of a hurry? You'll have to take it off anyway to drill the hole, unless you want plastic shavings going through your engine. I'd wait until the grommet gets in.
My main problem is the in-fender filter looks like it's got a hole in it.. I'm pretty sure I'm sucking unfiltered air. Going to be doing some driving this weekend, and don't want to drive the wife's Aztek, lol. I may try it, or see if I can at least dig up my factory intake. Issue with that was the previous owner replaced the stock filter with a K&N cone, without the shroud on the factory box, just used 3 sheet metal screws to hold the filter in place...

OP
OP
H

heffe2001

Reaction score
Ended up it wasn't a hold in the filter, it was a big piece of what I can only think was cardboard stuck to the filter (it had sucked it into the pleats on one side, was a damn mess). Still thinking I might go ahead and put the K&N on, with the temp sensor sitting outside the tube until I get the part in next week though.

OP
OP
H

heffe2001

Reaction score
The old CAI I had on there's filter was almost completely clogged. Not been on there 6 months yet either. It's supposed to be red, but there was a red stripe down one side (guessing away from the tire), the rest was black (half of it was that piece of cardboard). I'm guessing it was getting about at most 30-40% flow. Could explain a few issues I've been having..

I'm running the K&N now, with the temp sensor sitting in the small compartment area that the filter is in, should hopefully get at least CLOSE to the correct temp going into the motor... Going to be Friday before the grommet I ordered comes in :(. I figured I paid 5 bucks for shipping on a .97 part, they'd at least ship it priority, but nope, USPS ground it was..

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
For the $5 in shipping you could have probably bought 20 rubber grommets at the hardware store.

OP
OP
H

heffe2001

Reaction score
Yeah, I figured as much, just not sure the exact size i need, lol. May see if I can match it at somewhere like Lowes before I use it, if I can get part number from there, I'll post it.

OP
OP
H

heffe2001

Reaction score
It's a SR CAI, and the grommet was ripped removing it from the old intake. For whatever reason my sensor wouldn't fit well in the one they supplied (if you look it up on the AM website, it's a large, 3/4" tall grommet on theirs). The fit of the sensor from my car was horrible. I almost thought I was going to have to cut it out of the old intake.

The car is running MUCH better then it has been, it also seems to have cleared up a surge I was getting with any of the AC/Vent controls turned on when I was sitting at a light or stop sign. It'd surge up in RPMs enough to make the car lurch if I wasn't holding the brake well enough. Hasn't done it since the intake change (*knock* on wood anyway).

OP
OP
H

heffe2001

Reaction score
It is still doing the surge when the AC is on, it's enough to make the car lurch forward. I'm pretty sure it's something to do with the IAC, but it was replaced with a new Motorcraft one about 6 months ago. I may try to datalog it and see if I can figure out what's the cause.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online