K&N Filter Problem

Discussion in '96-04 - 2V Specific' started by Twista, Sep 13, 2006.

1. Twista

Twista Legend

So ya i did my 1st K&N clean and reoil a few days ago. I ntoice my car has been a complete pig and i havent caught on to the problem. I notice its been revving slower and it sounds quiet. I figured out the problem was with my filter that i reoiled. IT says to put a small amount of oil which i did, but maybe i put to little.

Is it common for the engine work harder if theres not enough oil on the filter? I just put my stock paper one back and it runs so much better and sounds so much lounder. Anyone else run into this problem when re-oiling there air filter?

2. 97vertstang

97vertstang Well-Known Member

i wouldnt think it would slow ur engine down for underoiling???? try reoiling it again and let it set for a day.just make sure not to oil it too much or u can mess up ur maf.

3. DropTopPony

DropTopPony Administrator Staff Member Admin SN95 Supporter

Did you let it sit overnight before installing it again? I will let mine sit for 24 hours to dry and drain before using again.

4. Matt94GT

Matt94GT Legend Retired Staff SN95 Supporter

Its your maf more then likey, clean your maf, the oil spits all over it and fouls it up.

5. ALITL8

ALITL8 Well-Known Member

i oiled the shit outta mine, at least i think so, and havent had any problems. id go with what the other guys say and check/clean the maf.

6. SvtBlack95

SvtBlack95 Well-Known Member

agree cleaning the maf can really make a difference... also clean out your throttle body make sure theres nothin gunked up in there

7. 97vertstang

97vertstang Well-Known Member

if u do clean ur throttle body, clean ur iac after, it will screw with ur idle if u dont.

8. Ender

Ender Member

I ditched my K&N and went back to a paper filter because the oil was screwing up my MAF. The car ran much better afterwards.

9. Twista

Twista Legend

Same here now. My K&N is sitting oiled in the hallway. Im getting way better performance out of the stock dirty paper. Also, the car sounds better with the paper one. I have no idea why but it does.